WCIF chickpeas

I’m trying to make some hummus, just went to carrefour and they don’t have chickpeas in Taipei. Anyone seen them? Costco maybe? Local markets?

Actually it’s confusing because soy beans look exactly like chickpeas to me.

1 Like

my local dry-goods store (the sort that sells rice, beans, nuts and whatnot) usually has them. This is near ZhuWei MRT. I can give you the exact location if you can’t find a similar place near you.

Incidentally, City Super stock tahini, but I’m told Taiwanese-style sesame paste is basically identical.

1 Like

Ok I finally found some, not fresh canned ones. It’s like all in a foreign language but it’s a carrefour product??? Why? What language is this

French and Dutch

1 Like

Not sure if you are being serious?

I will bite anyway. Carrefour is a French company

1 Like

Trinity Indian has dried ones usually.

http://www.indianstoretaiwan.com.tw/

1 Like

I was just about to say that Carrefour has them. It seems like I’ve seen them in the other usual stores that carry Western imports, too.

And yes, most Carrefour store-brand products are labeled in European languages, because they are French.

Also, have you seen soybeans? They don’t look like chickpeas. They are a different color and shape.

Are you serious? They’re sold pretty much everywhere. Just go to any supermarket, they’ll have a few different varieties.

There are some shops that sell all sort of noodles, herbs, and beans. Along the beans you can find chickpeas, which do not look like soy BTW.

Yes, that was French and something germanic too.

The dry goods markets always have lotus seeds, which kind of look like chickpeas, but I’ve never seen the latter. I’ll have to take another look.

Carrefour tianmu has tahini as well. That store has a lot more imported food now.

I’m not sure what you mean by “not fresh canned ones”. I suppose fresh chickpeas must exist out there, but I’ve never seen them - I’ve only bought dried or canned. You can find canned chickpeas in Carrefour, Jason’s, City Super, and probably the organic stores like Leezhen and Santa Cruz. Quite a few Wellcome branches now stock them as well.

Note that chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing - once in a while you’ll see them labelled garbanzo rather than chickpeas.

I’ve bought dried chickpeas at a bunch of places too: definitely Jason’s, City Super, Leezhen, Santa Cruz. Typically you need to soak those overnight and then boil for an hour or two. Or three. Or more, depending on how many years they’ve been in your cupboard.

Hummus has started to show up in the refrigerated sections of some City Supers and Jason’s.

The packaging of Carrefour’s in-house products usually doesn’t include English. French is the primary language, with a bunch of other European languages also often there. Yeah, it can be annoying.

Dr Milker is correct. It is common to see chickpeas listed on cans in English (chickpeas), Spanish (garbanzos), Italian (ceci) and French (pois chiches). They are available in TWO forms locally AFAIK, canned and dried. Andrew0409’s post re: fresh canned ones makes no sense to me. The canned ones are IMO much easier to deal with, as I find the dried ones take FOREVER to soften via soaking and boiling, unlike other beans, so despite the higher (not really high) cost, I use canned garbanzos for my frequently made hummus. And I use the local sesame paste due to convenience as well.

True that. The dried ones have to be cooked for ages. Tinned ones are great for hummus.

They can really be a pain. They’re nice though when they work. I’ve gotten to like dried beans more than canned, just a preference though.

Cottonfields has organic tahini on sale.

City Super, Jason’s and Carrefour all carry canned garbanzo beans.

Though many dry goods Taiwanese places -along Dihua street, for example, now you can combien with your New Year shopping- do carry uncooked, raw, sold by bulk chickpeas/garbanzos, I find the ones at Trinity fresher and easier to cook.