WCIF double glazing: 2 sealed panes with gas/dried air layer

Are real double-glazed windows sold in Taiwan? I have not been able to find any. I have found various products including double panes with an invisible gas injected between the layers (!!??) but no sealed vacuum units. The vacuum is important to prevent the transmission of noise and heat.

I am being referred to “qimi chuang” products which are just ordinary glass, varying from paper-thin (5mm) to reasonably thick (10mm armour plate), but this is not what I want.

As almost every new house costing more than ten pence in Shanghai has sealed-unit UPVC double-glazed windows I would imagine it’s something some Taiwanese construction people or desingers have seen before, but I’ve asked several and end up drawing a blank. (“Never heard of it, mate” “What’s a vacuum?” “No such thing” “Not much call for it round here, sir.”)

Any leads?

[Edited to reflect the fact that vacuum layer is not used anymore/is impractical]

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry, but it was just too funny. Reminded me of my time in the UK, double glazing is still a “luxury” item there it seems and none of it is the kind you’re trying to find here.
We have triple glazing back home, two panes with vacuum and another later on the inside.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the stuff you’re talking about here, not even in fancy houses, but it would make sense though, as it’d insulate better against the heat and keep the cold in.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry, but it was just too funny. Reminded me of my time in the UK, double glazing is still a “luxury” item there it seems and none of it is the kind you’re trying to find here.
We have triple glazing back home, two panes with vacuum and another later on the inside.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the stuff you’re talking about here, not even in fancy houses, but it would make sense though, as it’d insulate better against the heat and keep the cold in.[/quote]

Wow, you must have been in the UK a long time ago. I remember our double glazing being put in in 1976 just in time for the hottest bloody summer on record. My dad nearly had it out again. Unless you were a student at the time? It is actually illegal to fit double glazing, or indeed central heating, to student accommodation in the UK. Margaret Thatcher started that in 1941 just after the Battle of Chipping Norton.

Yeah it’s strange not to find it here because lots of places in Shanghai have it and it’s quite cheap too in Shanghai. It really would make a huge difference to my heating and a/c bills as well as keeping the noise of the hoi polloi down to a dull roar.

Nope, left less than 3 years ago. The first place I stayed in didn’t have it at all and that was a house, the second place only had it in the front and after that I think all of them had it. But many of my mates there lived in places that still only had single glazing. Also, the way the put in the so called double glazing on some places there leaves a bit to be desired, as it wasn’t what you’re after, but rather just two panes of glass in a wooden frame…
Anyhow, I guess I was in the wrong part of London (SE) which might have something to do with it :smiley:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Nope, left less than 3 years ago. The first place I stayed in didn’t have it at all and that was a house, the second place only had it in the front and after that I think all of them had it. But many of my mates there lived in places that still only had single glazing. Also, the way the put in the so called double glazing on some places there leaves a bit to be desired, as it wasn’t what you’re after, but rather just two panes of glass in a wooden frame…
Anyhow, I guess I was in the wrong part of London (SE) which might have something to do with it :smiley:[/quote]

Good Lord. I suppose with the price of housing in London people just can’t afford windows.

Here’s a fun article with photos of double-glazed windows gone wrong: transitionculture.org/2007/02/06 … replacing/

For Eiger Law’s office renovation, we just had installed a full set of double-glazed windows with argon gas between the layers. Here’s a quick note on construction-index.com/uk-do … pliers.asp

A real vacuum is not common since you need to counteract atmospheric pressure by increasing the thickness of the glass exponentially, which either means the size of the window would be very small (think looking through a porthole) or it would be very expensive for larger windows.

Gas is the way to go, those used have less thermal conductivity than air and thus provide better insulation.

A real vacuum is not common since you need to counteract atmospheric pressure by increasing the thickness of the glass exponentially, which either means the size of the window would be very small (think looking through a porthole) or it would be very expensive for larger windows.

Gas is the way to go, those used have less thermal conductivity than air and thus provide better insulation.[/quote]

A fair point, although it used to be done in the old days (when double glazing was horrendously expensive anyway) in Ireland at a glass factory I know by making the windows old-style with plastic lattice bar type thingies inside the windows to make it look like it was one of those old ones made up of lots of little panes. The problem of the glass collapsing in on itself was solved as the internal bars kept the panes apart, but the vacuum ended up breaking the rubber seal around the windows, air got in, then condensation. So now I think they use very dry air now, or argon. Perhaps they put a dessicant in too to prevent condensation?

That’s correct but if the seal breaks the window needs replacement anyway as the dessicant will become saturated quickly, it’s just meant to control the moisture that may have entered during manufacturing so that there is no condensation when termperatures fall below the dew point.

I’ll change the title as it’s not correct.

Where’d you get them? All I can get from the chippies I talk to is Very Thick Glass, which is OK, I suppose, but would prefer double glazing.

I’ll try to find out for you.

So did anyone find out where to get double-glazed windows, and if so, what do they cost? The new place we live in has too much traffic noise, so we need a solution. I guess worst-case scenario is we have to move again which would be a shame because other than the noise, this place is perfect.

I’ll send it to you via PM.

We’re looking at replacing a roughly 280 x 140cm window (currently 3 panes) with something more soundproof. Contractor suggested adding a 2nd window in front of the current one (for around nt10,000), but can’t imagine how that’d look/work since we’d still like to be able to have them open on occasion.

Eiger John, any chance you could PM me some info, or share here?

If double glazing isn’t readily available, will two panes of glass of a different thickness with a gap in between them help to make the window more soundproof? I’m also thinking about getting some air-tight window frames (氣秘窗) with new glass. Two panes have got to be better than one, right?

Thanks