WCIF good bibimbap in Taipei?

Any authentic bibimbap in Taipei?

There’s a place recommended here:

I’m also interested in good bibimbap, but I’m not sure what authentic would really mean - I had countless variations when I lived in Korea, some fantastic, some not so good.

My house with my mom cooking.

But the nature of bibimpop is basically just leftover materials put with rice not to waste it. But I know what you mean by authentic. I mentioned https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293913-d6140214-Reviews-Samwon_Garden_Korean_Bbq_House-Taipei.html

They do BBQ well, but all their Korean dishes are pretty up to standard.

2 Likes

Since my post in another forum was mentioned, I should add that a note: the bibimbap at Sugar Pea in Taipei City is stunningly good, but I would not call it “authentic” as chef Sandy Yoon takes liberties to mix in untypical ingredients such as shiso leaves. The result is brilliant!

Guy

I agree with your assessment of the bibimbap at sugar pea cafe. It’s good, though not like the bibimbap I’ve had in Korea. The mixture of veggies is different but still tasty.

I would eat it again. I’m guessing the cafe is owned by Koreans as the food like American fare but the bibimbap is the only Korean dish on the menu.

1 Like

I am unsure about ownership/investors, but I do know that Sugar Pea’s chef is the extraordinary Sandy Yoon. She is Korean American with previous experience working with a Michelin star chef in Shanghai. Her dishes are unusual yet satisfying. She serves brilliant food!

Guy