WCIF Treacle or Molasses?

Any ideas?

Treacle ā€œofā€ or treacle ā€œorā€? Iā€™ve seen good old Tate & Lyle black treacle at both City Super locations in the baking goods section.

I think I saw some at Wellmanā€™s import grocery in Tianmu.

Edited to ā€˜orā€™.

Thanks for the Tate and Lyle info Sandman.

Molasses, no problem. Go to the DIY baking store that I (and dragonbones) have described in several WCIF baking threads in the past, near the Minchuan bridge to Neihu.

The Wellcome on Anho, couple blocks north of Carnegieā€™s, has (used to have, anyway) Brer Rabbit molasses.

Itā€™s actually not in the baking goods section in Cityā€™super, itā€™s in the jam and syrup isle, next to the maple and corn syrup.

iā€™ve found black sugar molassesā€¦but iā€™m looking for a more milk lighter flavourā€¦ anyone?

See the above posts; Iā€™ve merged your thread with an existing one. In the future note that searches for Food items will be most successful in the Food section. :wink:

BTW, if you donā€™t have light molasses and have dark or blackstrap, you can substitute, but only use a little (25% as much is plenty IMO). E.g. for a recipe calling for 1 cup of light molasses, use 1/4 c. ā€˜full flavorā€™ or dark molasses, plus the remainder (3/4 c) in any sugar syrup (local fructose syrup, Karo light corn syrup, pancake syrup, honey etc. ā€“ see DIY baking shops or local groceries for fructose syrup, or the DIY shops, Jasonā€™s and Wellmanā€™s for Karo; or you can make your own sugar syrup by mixing 75% sugar with 25% water.). Many online instructions say substitute half and half but I think that ends up too strong.

And if you canā€™t find dark molasses either, change all sugars to brown sugar, the darkest you can find. Itā€™s not the same, but it gets you a little closer.

Jasonā€™s in 101 only has black treacle and ā€˜full flavorā€™ Brer Rabbit, nothing light.

As of yesterday, every place I looked (Jasonā€™s and the big DIY shops at Minle and at the Minquan bridge) had only full flavor Brer Rabbit, nothing lighter, and stocks were low. Wellmanā€™s sold out last week but has a shipment scheduled for Tuesday. If youā€™re planning on making gingerbread houses or cookies or something similar, youā€™d better grab your molasses quickly, as the shelves will probably be empty again soon. 'Tis the season, after all.

Hi all

I have searched this forum and found out that Wellmanā€™s in Tianmu sells molasses - I will go find this shop and check it out, but to be honest I am very surprised not to find this product in Wellcome or Matsusei supermarkets. Has anyone found it somewhere else or is it ā€˜hiddenā€™ in these 2 supermarkets away from the Sugar section?

Thanks

CitySuper tend to have treacle, itā€™s in a glass bottle with a bunny on the front.
Iā€™ve seen it in some of the baking supply shops as well.
Donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen molasses anywhere, but you could try a baking supply shop again.

Why? Itā€™s not a local cooking ingredient, and therefore is naturally restricted to Western-import-oriented grocers. If it were at Wellcome it would just take up valuable shelf-space which could be displaying much more sellable pre-manufactured fake chocolate-covered straw shaped sugar-bomb biscuits with Hello Kitty packaging.

And yes, give the DIY baking shops a try. I have a big list of the shops here, which you can run a search for.

Er, who says itā€™s not a local cooking ingredient?! A quick Google search shows plenty of recipes of Chinese/Taiwanese variety that use it and that Taiwan is one of the worldā€™s largest producers of molasses. Anyhow, I will try Wellmanā€™s, CitySuper and or baking shops.

Thanks for the info posted everyone.

Interesting. What Chinese term are you using in that search?

I did both ā€œis molasses used in Chinese cooking?ā€ and ā€œis molasses used in Taiwanese cooking?ā€

? :ponder: Most locals Iā€™ve spoken to about it donā€™t even know what molasses is, so perhaps Iā€™m getting the term wrong in Chinese. Can you provide links to these plentiful recipes please (and also the term in Chinese characters)? Iā€™d be very interested to see how itā€™s used, and whether or not the supposed molasses ingredient listed is really molasses, as I suspect what the recipes are really calling for is something like a brown sugar syrup or malt syrup (these are widely available here).

That by itself doesnā€™t mean much. Products made here may be for export, after all, and molasses is used in the production of numerous items, many of which are more valuable per ton than the molasses itself. They make all kinds of things from it, animal feed, brown sugar, ethyl alcohol, acetic and citric acid, rum, acetone, MSG, yeast and so on. I think the fact that itā€™s not on the shelves of local supermarkets speaks for itself.

Iā€™ve seen molasses (Brer Rabbit) at the Tianmu Jasonā€™s, with all the baking products, but not recently. Last time I needed molasses (used in various whole wheat recipes in my bread machine), I found a shelf full of Brer Rabbit mild molasses at Wellmanā€™s.

Isnā€™t the Chinese term for molasses ē³–ę¼æ (tang2 jiang4)?

黑ē³–ę¼æ I thought.