We cannot raise our flag but others can

I wish I could answer that question. To me, they do make an intriguing sight.

It seems they are military police.

憲兵 . Operate under the ministry of defense and ministry of justice.

Why they are allowed to do this with no IDs and what business they had at the stadium…Need to ask the DPP. To sort this out. Why does Taiwan need these undercover goons now?

1 Like

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but this one at about 1:08 to 1:25 has a ponytail. [Correction: the man with the ponytail is probably with the Taiwan Independence people–sorry for the mistake.]

There do appear to be special police, but I don’t really know anything about them.

Here’s an article about some kind of military police pretending to be potential buyers of White Terror-era government documents, and then allegedly threatening the possessor of the documents in order to induce him to give them up:

This YouTube video seems to about “gendarmerie” or “judicial police”:

I don’t know if the “judicial police” or the “military police” or the “gendarmerie” are all the same thing or two or more different outfits.

Again, I’m not saying you’re wrong, you may very well be right, but the whole thing looks peculiar to me.

They have been reported as military police in various articles in the papers. There probably different units .

It seems they are still operating quasi independently from the elected government.

Also one guy had a ponytail, that was pretty weird alright.

Without ID markings we can’t tell exactly who these people work for.

Dont the bodyguards for the president wear the same uniforms?
Were these people actually from the presidential guard?
Or were they actively following this group?

1 Like

That’s another thing: According to one news report, some people said that when they asked some of the black-uniformed men who they were, they wouldn’t say, except for one man who identified himself as “a passerby”:

更好笑的是,據當天在場的獨派團體民眾說,他們追上去質問抬人的黑衣人身分,黑衣人不願表明身分就算了,竟還說自己是「路人」。

Weird City.

Years ago, at a Canada Day celebration, I was juking for a shooter game the hockey club set up. While trying to entice one such “passerby”, he informed me that he was undercover.

:oncoming_police_car:

1 Like

I think that was a mistake on my part. :frowning: I think the guy with the ponytail is with the Taidu people (I think you can see him from about 0:25 to about 0:42, on the left side of the screen, holding one end of a Taidu-type flag):

Sorry for the mistake.

I guess, just a huntch, they are a direct branch of National Security Agency 國安局 but situated inside the MP inorder to disguise their true identity. Worst of all, they might have authority to command the MP to conveniently arrest and murder Taiwanese citizens.

Which branch of secret service has murdered his twin toddler-daughters and mother of Lin Yihsiung 林義雄 at one day? Not everyone would ever forget to keep asking that question. Those disguised MP thugs are among my candidate suspects.

big KMT gathering on the news today with hong xiu zhu surrounded by old soldiers dressed in ROC t-shirts pricking their fingers and blotting the blood on the ROC flag.

Supposed to be about another issue: but has an element of Mustard after the Olympiad dinner too

Wasn’t sure where to drop this, so picked here.

2 Likes

So do the foreign cadets graduate and serve in the US military or return to their home country?

Good question.
I believe they are funded by foreign givernments and are supposed to return to serve their governments , the idea being to create closer relations with allied officer class.
I read an interview with a female officer who was applying to do this from Taiwan before , although I think her intention was to remain in the US and act as a Taiwan military attaché there.
I could be wrong though.

1 Like

@Brianjones is correct as far as I know. Foreign students in degree seeking programs are nominated by their home countries (who pay the tuition) and generally are already in the military when they come over. It’s not open to every country, obviously. The people in the article probably will be back in Taiwan as an officer in a few weeks.

They have a few other programs as well - some type of exchange program that have cadets trading places and some summer programs though neither are seeking degrees.

2 Likes

I think “beaten down” is the right answer. They were scared. I’ve seen it many times.

Years ago I attended this Microsoft event in Washington D.C. with two Taiwanese coworkers. One of them very meekly arranged R.O.C. flags around their presentation. The Mainland Chinese participants complained to the event organizers. He removed them like his life depended on it, without complaint. While he was doing this I asked him, “This is America, you know? If you want to put the flags back it’s ok. I support you. I think it’s the right thing to do.”

He kept nodding his head and quickly put the flags into the big backpack he brought. I felt like making an issue out of it, but the presentation wasn’t really mine (I was along to help translate), and the two guys refused to discuss it further. Made me very sad.

I can’t really blame the Mainland Chinese participants for that. They were just toeing the party line. I just wish my Taiwanese coworkers had put up more of a fight.

2 Likes

Thats about sums it all up :frowning:

Good on ya, United States Air Force Academy. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2019/06/02/2003716184