Western (American) style health food stores

Does anyone know of any American type health food markets in Taipei? Something along the lines of a Fresh Fields Whole Foods type market. Thanks.

I do not have an answer, but I have been wondering, too. I have seen some very small whole foods markets, but nothing on the scale of a Whole Foods. I hate bothering with the tiny markets, as it means that I must make five or six stops to buy everything I need (and shopping is not recreation for me).

hmm wonder if they have any natural food stores that sell things like vitamins and herbs? i would die without one:(

Health food stores are a fairly recent introduction to Taiwan. They are not necessarily similiar to ones in Europe or North America, they are a local version, unique in their own way. They do sell organic produce and some products from Europe and N.A., mostly things like apple cidar vinegar (which is part of the popular vinegar fad diet here). Herbs and vitamins? Hmmm, virtually non-existant. Chinese herbs, but not much Western herbs. There is the evil corporate GNC here but the herbs and vitamins run about 20-30 USD and, of course, the selection is limited. I would suggest buying what you need before you come and then have friends send you things as you run out. Now, my wife just buys bulk herbs over the net and makes tinctures and decoctions for our use.

Jason’s in the basement of Taipei 101 has quite a few of the things I am accustomed to buying at Whole Foods. It is a bit expensive, but it is the closest approximation I have found.