Wack Things in Taiwan 2017

Every time I return to the U.S., I’m shocked anew by how much cheaper prices are in grocery stores. A lot of things are half the price of similar things in Taiwan, some things even less.

Some things…if you’re buying from PX Mart and comparing to Costco. Yes.

Taiwan wet/morning market vs US super market though? Market wins.

However, what about Taiwan morning market vs US farmer’s market? That’s a fairer comparison.

Yeah, that’s not really a fair comparison, given the overhead of supermarkets, but even so, wet markets don’t necessarily come out ahead. I can get a dozen eggs for $1.50 in a U.S. supermarket, and a gallon of milk for a little over two bucks.

Taiwan Wet Market vs US Chinese Market or US Mexican Market…US Chinese/Mex market wins.

Yeah, they practically give away fruits and veggies at those places. I find fruit prices in Taiwan to be much higher than in the U.S. in general…veggies may be a wash.

2 Likes

Yup some fruits cost a lot here about a quarter of the fruits in Taiwan are imported from California. Such as Some Grapes, Cherries, Persimmons, Plums, Peaches, Nectarines, Apples, some avocados, blueberries, oranges. Also some local fruits cost a lot lately since the rain season is crazy now.

I remember in CA at a Mexican market on sale I can buy 8 ears of large sweet corn for $1.50
In Taipei 2 corns are 50NTD (1.50)
US 10 lbs of Onions for $1
TW 2 lbs for 30NT ($1)
US Scallions 1 batch for 0.30 cents (9NT)
TW Scallions 1 batch for 30NT (now 50-80NT)

Meats are cheaper in US too and bread
Anyways ill end the list here…its starting to look like Numbeo.com

1 Like

Things like potatoes, onions and corn are practically free in the U.S. For meat, I think it depends. Pork is usually good value in Taiwan, but beef is incredibly overpriced.

We could have an entire thread on the stupid bullshit that people do in and around elevators, but one standout is the moron (male or female) who comes up, when the up button is already lit and 3 or 4 people are waiting, and hits the button again. Like, what is wrong with you?
Bonus points if they repeatedly hit the thing like they’re playing friggin arcade Joust.

Hey dumbass, it don’t run on compressed air, you know.

1 Like

I noticed a whole chicken is roughly $15 no matter where you go. Its such a stable meat price…
Vietnam $15
Taiwan $15
US $15
India $12
Thailand $15

Where I shop in the U.S., you can get a whole fryer for under ten bucks. Admittedly, they’re not very good. I’m not much of a chicken fan though.

What if you were buying native fruits,veggies and meat though?

Like buying Taiwan pork in Taiwan vs buying US pork in the US.

Price per unit of measurement. How does that compare?

Not sure, I never paid attention to Pork Prices, I think TW Pork should be cheaper, but its also a cheap meat in the US… How much is pork belly at wet markets

Pork Belly says 2.79/lb here in California -
https://www.99ranch.com/img/AdminAdded/grouppdf/20171016175004151CA.pdf

As far as restaurants go Hot Pot or Shabus in Taiwan are good for what you pay.

Hit it repeatedly for bonus points.

In the ol country it is like 8 times more expensive. So is milk. Why? We export those. Free trade is the excuse.

Local agriculture like of rice and beans, local staples, has been wiped out by imports from China. Fruits are for export, so fuggedaboiut. Veggies? Even more pesticides than Taiwan.

And such is life in the tropics…

Which country?

Belgium $6
Germany $6
Netherlands $6

1 Like

One affected by NAFTA, WTO and other treaties. So they say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGGysj4Iew

Pressing buttons with car/scooter key, because germs.

Buttons break after a while…

1 Like

One guy drinking 3 bottles of whiskey.

Stopped in a local whiskey and cocktail bar last night. At the bar was a 50yr-ish Taiwan guy sitting alone, with 3 bottles of different kinds of very nice, special edition whiskey in front of him. He just sat there and would pour a drink from one, sip it a few minutes, then pour from a different one, sip it, then pour from the 3rd and sip. This went on for at least an hour after I arrived. He was already drunk so had been there awhile. Two bottles were 2/3 gone and the third was half finished. Apparently he comes most every night.

1 Like