Wack Things in Taiwan 2017

Unfortunately he won’t make it to sixty.

Are you sure he was 50-ish? Not 40 something?

1 Like

Anyone who was around for SARS won’t find that whack, look up the Metropole hotel in HongKong.

1 Like

Could probably be from 40 to 60 don’t know.

I use my knuckles still sometimes.

1 Like

If you check that numbeo site you’d notice that East Asia collectively has the most expensive groceries in the world. The prices are on similar level for Japan, Taiwan, Korea, HK etc.

Things like meat, vegetables, dairy, cheese etc. are really just cheaper in Europe and America. It’s just the way it is I guess.

1 Like

Large populations, limited food growing capacity, typhoons, taxes and shipping costs to islands or across borders = increased cost?

Interestingly Malaysia imports a lot of veg from China so some may also be related to climate.

The number of times they rip open streets and lanes in my neighborhood to fix pipes or whatever they do is insane. Once a year they roll in, cut open the surface, start digging, replace pipes, then close it all up. I am not :cool: with that.

I never get too excited about them repaving roads. Take Nanjing East Rd for example.

Almost a brand new road because of the MRT below. Didn’t stay new for too long. Patches everywhere!!

This is ‘trickling down’ Chinese Way, which Taiwan was infested with from the fleeting Chinese Nationalists, US ship-loaded onshore based on General McArthur’s command.

On the plus side, it keeps Taipei from looking like this:

Maybe they could think of a way to keep pipes and stuff more accessible when they plan to go down there every half year or so.

I suspect they always keep things close to breaking point, so they’ll get the next job of fixing what they could have fixed better the last time.

It is bad enough to ask them to remember, let alone track, where the stuff is. While they were doing The Big Dig around my house for the new MRT line, they regularly left us without water, Internet, gas and electricity. They would just hit a pipe or line that was not supoosed to be there… or so they said.

Every time they go in, it’s like exploratory surgery.

It would probably melt.

DSC05149DSC05151

Who designs these trains? I got used to getting reminded about about railroad safety and fines all the time. However, it’s not that I dislike these colorful train designs, maybe they make a “useful English / Chinese vocabulary train” next.

I wonder which design genius comes up with this.

DSC_0019

Beautiful scenes? It’s all friggin’ concrete!

Never found the potholes in Maokong very attractive…

First time I heard about this. A liger, huh…

Honestly, the so called private zoos here are hellish nightmares. Those poor animals.