Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Thats not true. I lived in China for ages. Koreans are Koreans, Japanese are Japanese and whitey are 外國人。 I have even been in a Korean office in China, where everyone speaks Chinese. Koreans and Chinese referred to me as 外國人 when talking amongst each other.

It depends. China is not a homogeneous society, contrary to appearances. :2cents:

Who said it is homogeneous? Probably not every Taiwanese person uses Waiguoren to mean whitey, but most do. Same as in China

Are you talking about Southern Chinese or all Chinese? Which parts of China did you live in? I’m in the dongbei.

I lived in North China, but traveled all over. Go and ask someone who isn’t your teacher if they would call a Korean 外國人。 They will definitely say 高麗棒子。

This old coot downstairs just gave me a big grin and two thumbs up for my beard.

You damn betcha, hoss.

1 Like

Just swatted a mosquito that was buzzing around my head at the office…and it was full of somebody else’s blood. :open_mouth: Good thing I got it before it could stab me. Kind of like sharing a dirty needle…

https://eastasiastudent.net/china/does-waiguoren-mean-white/

…which is why we have such big problems with dengue…even in winter.

Really? :runaway:

89 People Die From Dengue Fever Since 1 May in 2015
Oct 08, 2015, 9:58 AM
Be careful if visiting south Taiwan.

CNA

October 8, 2015, 12:02 am TWN

TAIPEI – The number of dengue fever infections reported in Taiwan since May has reached 21,357, an increase of 385 cases from the previous day, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said Wednesday.

As of Tuesday, Tainan had reported 18,096 cases, 277 more than the previous day, while Kaohsiung had reported 2,904 cases, the CDC said.

The two cities are in southern Taiwan, where the dengue fever outbreak has been concentrated.

The agency confirmed another 33 deaths caused by the mosquito-borne disease, bringing the total number of fatalities to 89 since May 1, the start of the dengue fever season.

It added that 86.3 percent of dengue fever patients have recovered from the disease, and 52 are currently being treated in intensive care units

373 Dengue Fever Cases Already This Year in Jun 2016
Jun 29, 2016, 9:38 AM
Taiwan reports first indigenous dengue fever case of summer

2016/06/28 23:14:40

Taipei, June 28 (CNA) A woman in the southern city of Pingtung became the first reported indigenous dengue fever case in Taiwan this summer when she was confirmed Tuesday to have the disease.

The 58-year-old woman sought medical treatment June 24, after she experienced symptoms that included fever, headache and thirst, Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), deputy director-general of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), said Tuesday.

The woman was hospitalized again June 26, when the hospital reported her as a suspected case of dengue fever. She was later confirmed to have the mosquito-borne disease and is now recovering at home, Chou said.

The woman had never been infected with the disease before, and she had no chronic health conditions, according to the CDC.

It said the woman was allegedly bitten by mosquitoes three to four days before she fell ill.

According to CDC statistics, the number of indigenous dengue fever cases recorded in Taiwan this year had reached 373 as of June 28, with Kaohsiung reporting 340 cases, Pingtung County reporting 21 cases, Tainan reporting 7 cases, and five other counties and cities reporting a total of five cases.

Imported cases, meanwhile, had reached 135 so far, the highest in 10 years, Chou said.

The CDC reminded residents to take precautionary measures when traveling to dengue endemic countries, and to seek medical treatment as soon as possible when symptoms of dengue fever become apparent, including fever, headache, severe muscle and joint pain, eye socket pain, and skin rash

Dengue in Taiwan is definitely Whack.

This has been going on as long as I’ve been here. Am I missing something?

Guy

Actually, you do not have to go South to experience dengue:

Actually, you do not have to go South to experience dengue:

https://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2016/11/28/485208/Taipei-sees.htm

The China Post news staff
November 28, 2016, 12:24 am TWN

Taipei’s first dengue fever cluster since 2011 emerged in the city’s Neihu District (內湖) over the weekend.
The city government dispatched around 160 workers to sterilize the entire area within a 500-meter radius of the outbreak point Sunday morning, to prevent the disease from spreading further.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC, 疾管署) announced Friday that a 56-year-old resident of the district had been diagnosed with dengue fever.

Sunday afternoon, the CDC reported two new confirmed cases of dengue fever — a couple living in the same district as the 56-year-old woman — pushing the number to eight confirmed indigenous cases since summer.

According to the CDC, the government launched a dengue prevention and control campaign when the 56-year-old woman was confirmed to have contracted dengue fever. After an inspection of the area within 100-meters of her residence, officials found the couple had also caught the disease.

More here:
http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/info.aspx?treeid=BC2D4E89B154059B&nowtreeid=EE0A2987CFBA3222&tid=F207CBBF4E9E2498

Summer in November, mmmm :ponder:

Whack is finding used toilet paper with half dried sh*t in the basket of a ubike. Pass on that bike.

1 Like

Whenever I ride a Youbike, without toilet paper in the basket, around Da’an Park there will be people walking on the bike path, which runs parallel to the perfectly fine and wide pedestrian path, even if there are a lot of cyclists cycling. Why? Why don’t a lot of people understand the concept? Bike path for bikes, pedestrian path for pedestrians. It’s not that complicated.

Another one. Website addresses in Chinese, like www.新芳春行特展.com (if you copy and paste it it becomes www.xn–ygtp1tbkay43bnxtyvh.tw/). This is for a government-sponsored exhibition, foreigner might be interested in. Why make it difficult/impossible for non-Chinese speakers to get to that website, which actually provides some information in English.

[quote=“hannes, post:2020, topic:38330, full:true”]
Whenever I ride a Youbike, without toilet paper in the basket, around Da’an Park there will be people walking on the bike path, which runs parallel to the perfectly fine and wide pedestrian path, even if there are a lot of cyclists cycling. Why? Why don’t a lot of people understand the concept? Bike path for bikes, pedestrian path for pedestrians. It’s not that complicated.[/quote]

Two strips of asphalt walk into a bar, one goes and sits in the corner, the other comes up to the bar and orders 2 pints. Bartender says to him “Hey what’s with your buddy, he doesn’t look too friendly”. He answers “Oh, stay away from him, man, he’s a cycle path”

:laughing:

4 Likes

I’m surprised Chinese characters are even possible as URLs, because as double-byte characters, wouldn’t they inevitably contain illegal ASCII characters?