Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

One wonders why people get so sick all the time. And I am not starting on how many instances of cancer there are among young people.

I mean, people work 12 to 17 hours 6 days a week -at least-… then feel compelled to come to work carrying highly contagious diseases. They take loads of antibiotics, whether they are effective or not or even relevant to their malaise, and hence spread antibiotic resistant strains.

Hence, IF people rested at home when they should and did not lead such hectic existences, maybe they wouldn’t be so sick all the time. But then in Taiwan if you want a vacation, you quit. Rest between jobs.

A humble suggestion for Taiwan’s new national anthem:

They seem to really like the cheesy dad rock, so it should be a good fit.

There’s always the handy 台巴子, and 支那豬 going in the other direction.

Usually they call Taiwanese 呆胞 (Stupid compatriot).

i did think about it but ranting about it online was probably the better way to get it out of my system.

and now that you say i could pass as a turkish person. as it was in turkey, the majority of white people on the flight were turkish. chances are they thought i was turkish, that just makes it even sillier.
i guess its just the whole outsider thing. i had no idea how much i liked just feeling normal back home.

as for the seats, it was just a window seat moved to another window seat, no difference. i wouldn’t of minded either if it was an aisle seat, those are probably the best ones.

Not sure if this could be called whack. There’s this guy who’s finishing his studies in California and has recently decided to move back to Taiwan and he shared it on Facebook, and like everyone (well he has a lot of friends and followers as he used to be like a famous buxiban teacher for criminal law) left comments such as “I’m begging you please don’t come back Taiwan is so crap” or like “Immense admiration on your decision, being Taiwanese itself is an ordeal”.

I don’t disagree with them but it’s just so funny (and tragic at the same time) that returning home is widely interpreted as “you’re out of your mind”.:joy:

Idk how common this mentality is in other places though, like even in those more fucked up countries (let’s face it there are like a ton of them). The pessimism here has sure come a long way lmao.

Um yes. What’s the problem here? Are people ill 365 days a year?

If you come to work when you are ill, you’ll (a) do nothing except mope at your desk and (b) pass your illness to 6 other people, thus causing your employer a massive financial loss.

If your employer is not financially-literate enough to understand this, too bad.

Spoken like a true elitist bourgeoizee non-office worker.
Aside from other issues, taking sick days will probably cost you money, since most places (every big company I’ve ever worked for, anyways) only pay you for half of the time you book off sick.

Anyways, I’ve never seen an office where people are sick “all the time”. Sometimes I think Auntie Panic works at American Panascope with Joe Banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLDMqPBeKQ

More or less. Lighting gets it right, not to mention people’s complexion and fashion choices. This is gummit, you see. We have a coworker who came to work a week after brain surgery. To remove a tumor. People come to work while undergoing chemo. A cold? This place sounds like a tuberculosis ward.

I think it is this building. All kinds of bad vibe and even worse feng shui. Aside from the sealed off chambers -rumored tourture rooms- snakes in the walls -to get the rats- and other creepy crepiness, did you now we had a furriner die at his desk while doing overtime? They did not find him until Monday morning.

I wish I was making it up.

I saw this random guy asking where this blonde, white girl is from on metro, like asking where she’s from and stuff. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. She said she doesn’t talk to strangers and then he walked away.

I guess this happens a lot but it’s seriously really cringy and embarrassing :roll:.

Pretty retarded response though… I’ve been asked that a bunch of times by people with varying levels of mental health. I don’t think its exactly a tough thing to deal with.

When people ask me questions like that, I smile and tell them I am from Gongguan (in Taipei!).

Guy

Sorry, G, but this is pretty common occurrence for foreign-looking MRT users. The folks asking are frequently developmentally (or at least severely socially) challenged,
The guy you saw might have been Stalky McPervo, but just as likely not.

I mean, I get these guys coming up to ME and trying to start a conversation, so it’s a pretty safe bet romance ain’t on their mind

1 Like

Which is why I find it really pathetic and embarrassing.

Happens to me, too, when I’m wearing headphones. To normal people, wearing headphones is a signal saying “Don’t talk to me, I’m listening to something.” But that signal doesn’t seem to work for the weirdos.

1 Like

[quote=“finley, post:1969, topic:38330, full:true”]If your employer is not financially-literate enough to understand this, too bad.
[/quote]
That would describe most Taiwanese bosses in my experience.

Gotta come into work or you lost your pay or your job.

1 Like

[quote=“hannes, post:1938, topic:38330, full:true”]
I think personal hygiene activities (including, yes, nail clipping, tooth brushing, combing, saliva disposing, and what not) should not be conducted in the office or the office toilet, do it at home.[/quote]
Such office grooming behaviors are far more likely if their company requires them to punch a time clock, especially where people are penalized for being even one minute late. People’s top priority is the morning rush is to avoid clocking in late, so they decide that all that grooming stuff can be done on the road, and after that timecard is punched at the office.

Oh, and talking abut timecards, woe betide anyone standing between a employee rushing in and the time clock.

If I were benevolent dictator of the world, I would ban those monstrous devices.

4 Likes

Or the Auzzos, apparently…

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/dating/this-is-the-worst-dating-advice-weve-ever-read/news-story/ffb2b9e81293785dd04f6b7b08615c62

It’s all a non-solution solution any frigging ways.
I worked at a smallish company in the 00s that kind of exploded and grew massively in like 3 months and one of the ways they dealt with it was to introduce the punch clock. So every morning at like 0903 the lobby was FULL of staff getting off the elevator, having punched in on time and now fucking off to go get breakfast.

2 Likes

Brings me to another one of my pet peeves: eating on the train. I know it’s allowed and perfectly fine, but boy does it annoy me when taking an early morning train half awake and then anyone who decides to sit right next to me will take out his or her breakfast immediately after sitting down, preferably hot oyster or pork rice vermicelli.

1 Like

Taking the expensive gao tie and the guy cracks open the Bian dang or McDonalds and start wolfing down…drives me crazy.

1 Like