Whalen's (closed while moving to new location)

Dining out in Taipei just got a little more exciting this week with the long awaited opening of Whalen’s. Alex Whalen is one of the coolest dudes I’ve met in Taiwan. He arrived on these shores 7 years ago and has really made something of himself, beyond the dreaded classroom. I know he’ll do well as I am sure this venture will be a huge success.

Located in the heart of Brunchland, at the corner of LeLi Lu and AnHe Lu, Whalen’s specializes in skillets, a piping hot baked egg’n’cheese dish chock-a-block full of other goodies. They also serve a wide array of sandwiches, wraps, omelets and waffles. But it’s their eggs benny that I always return for. Easily the best traditional benny in town, I’m also a huge fan of The Desperado, a mexicali-style omelet of spicy sausage, bacon, bell peppers and gouda cheese topped with a tangy and piquant salsa verde.

If eggs aren’t your thang, they’ve got a tremendous pulled pork sandwich that has an exquisite smoky sweetness offset by a tangy vinaigrette-based slaw that puts some south in yer mouth. Equally tasty is the The Philly, a sloppy mess of hearty goodness.

While Whalen’s is an equally fine establishment for a quick breakfast, lunch or light dinner, they have plans to open up as a 24 hour shop on Friday and Saturday nights, so I can envision many a rowdy late-nite feasting ahappening.

As well, Forumosans are offered a generous 10% discount on your meal. So run, don’t walk to AnHe Lu and treat your palate to a plate of hearty, flavorful goodness. Tell 'em Toe sent ya.

For more information, visit their facebook page.

Based on the pictures, it looks like an absolutely amazing place to get a huge ass / beer belly / thunder thighs as well as atherosclerosis!

I don’t mean to be negative, but those pics all look totally loaded with grease. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! :laughing:

Whalen’s special offer to Forumosans of 10% off your meal is valid only Monday thru Thursday. Simply tell the staff you are a Forumosan and enjoy the discount. They are currently open from 11:00 Am until 9:00 PM.

Can I get the Everything with Cheese there?

Try the Juicy Lucy.

Missed this first time around, definitely looking forward to going. The smoked meat sandwich (center of top photo) is awesome.

I’ll try anything ToeSave recommends. Unless it’s cilantro. And bonus, Whalen’s is right down the lu from me anyway. :discodance:

Is that quiche on their blackboard? I might be able to persuade the old lady in the door if they have something a bit healthier-looking than those photos. Decent salads, for example?
I’m a real man, and I eat quiche, but I prefer it to come with a salad. A proper one.

[quote=“sandman”]Is that quiche on their blackboard? I might be able to persuade the old lady in the door if they have something a bit healthier-looking than those photos. Decent salads, for example?
I’m a real man, and I eat quiche, but I prefer it to come with a salad. A proper one.[/quote]

Yes, quiche is on the menu and I do recall a decent enough salad with an excellent raspberry vinaigrette. I spoke to Whalen about the grease content of his pics and he explained that his version of western food should be heart-stoppingly deloozish. But there are plenty of healthy options as well.

I tried the Leaky Skillet yesterday, home fries and sausage mixed with veg baked in a skillet then topped with poached eggs and hollandaise. Luverly combo once the poachers are oozing over the spuds.

The very best of American cuisine for you!

The very best of American cuisine for you![/quote]

Just like you Kiwis to mix up Canadian and American fare. :wink:

pulled pork and Phillys are Canadian?

only when doused in maple syrup, i guess.

Oh, and nice touch about the Kiwi thing. Very deftly played!

I’m Australian.

[quote=“urodacus”]pulled pork and Phillys are Canadian?

only when doused in maple syrup, i guess.[/quote]

True. Point taken. But they do serve a Beaver Tail waffle, and there is maple syrup to pour on whatever your artery-hardened heart desires.

[quote]Oh, and nice touch about the Kiwi thing. Very deftly played!

I’m Australian.[/quote]

Ummm, ya…I know. Maybe you don’t remember sitting in the park outside Alleycats with me, but I do. :beatnik:

I was just informed that Whalen’s is set up for take out orders. Their number is on the picture above. Don’t forget to mention you’re a Forumosan for a 10% discount.

I just visited Whalen’s to try their eggs Benedict, and they were delicious.

I’ve really been missing a good breakfast for the past week or so, and since everybody has been going on about eggs Benedict, since I arrived in Taiwan last month, I decided I wanted to try that. I went with Whalen’s based on the recommendations here.

I kind of screwed up my side order, and ended up with lots and lots of fries, but they were good, so no worries. The eggs benny themselves were very good, but since they were my first, I have no basis for comparison.

I never got my discount, though, since the waitress hadn’t heard of forumosa, and I didn’t want to argue about it. Still worth the price, though, although since I live in Jingmei - and on a budget - I probably won’t be coming back too often (I figure once in a while is okay).

The place seemed kind of dead, though. I was the only one there. Is that normal for a Wednesday morning?

This message was typoed on my BLARGH-phone.

the pictures look a bit disgusting though… reminds of Ireland where they put bloody gravy on the chips. . :astonished:

I was there a few weeks ago and the food was great! I really enjoyed it.

The side salad was a bit blah, but the club sandwich was delish.

Service was very good!

Definitely worth the price.

Really disappointed. I’d heard Whelan’s does a great garden burger, so I drove across the city to go try it out only to be told that the restaurant was already closed (at 7:30 pm) because the staff all have hangovers. Really not good for business to close arbitrarily like that as people won’t put in the effort to come eat there if they think there’s a chance it might not be open. This is why I don’t bother heading to The Diner any more, as too often my effort to eat there was rewarded by being turned away because the staff couldn’t be bothered to stay open until the advertised closing time. Disappointed.

Gravy on the chips? Oh, good LORD!

Gravy is good on FRIES, they got that part right. I ate there a few days ago, found the burgers to be made of less than awesome meat (ie not that good, kind of like the patties at Forkers) and a bit smallish. I also found the side salad to be ho-hum, but they usually are. The pulled pork poutine tho…awesome. I will go back, maybe for a hot turkey next time.

Pulled pork poutine?! Because the original (whether that be pulled pork or poutine) was too healthy and light?! Don’t get me wrong - both pulled pork and poutine are brilliant - but I’m not so sure about putting them together. So it’s pulled pork + gravy + cheese curds?! Or the pork is tossed with the fries as well?