What am I doing wrong here?

I made the arrangements in like 2 mins. I called my friend and told him i’m coming, called the band and told them about the date. And told her to go.

According to my mom, who grew up in Taiwan and spent 30 years in the US, when Taiwanese people say, “We should [hang out/have coffee/etc] sometime,” they don’t really mean it, but when Americans say the same thing, they really do mean it and actually follow up.

I guess it’s a cultural difference.

Girl here. Appearance-wise, I’ve heard that Asians that date foreigners prefer foreigners with dark hair and pale-ish skin because it’s exotic but not too exotic. Blond hair and blue eyes, even for me (an ABC), is slightly unnerving.

Personality-wise… Like Andrew0409 said, you seem a bit full of yourself. Having several jobs and being a productive person is great and all, but perhaps if you tried being humbler about yourself and your accomplishments, you might have more luck. Modesty is a valued trait here.

You keep mentioning how you’d like to date “high-quality and attractive” women and how you’ve rejected “low-quality, unattractive” women. First, I would like to point out that high-quality does not necessarily mean attractive and low-quality does not necessarily equate to being unattractive. What if you missed out on a kind, amazing person that would have had a ton in common with you because you made a snap judgement about their appearance and overgeneralized your judgement to their personality? Maybe some of the “beautiful” girls you want to date are actually vain and vapid. You’re looking at these women in a shallow way, so what’s to say that they aren’t judging you in a shallow manner, too? Perhaps you’re just not that good looking to them. I don’t know what you look like, but you should think about that and reevaluate your standards to fit your circumstances.

Consider it from their point of view: Dating a foreigner is a social risk to many Taiwanese women, and perhaps due to your attitude, they might not consider you worth the guaranteed censure from all directions. I think you need to convince them that going out with you will be worth their while.

(Even as an ABC dating a white American guy in Taipei, I still get shit from random people who think it is okay to butt in on other people’s business, so actual Taiwanese girls probably have it a lot worse than I do.)

1 Like

I think that’s a very harsh generalization to give Taiwanese. I think that’s more of the kind of person you meet. Not cultural difference between Taiwan and the US.

I didn’t grow up in Taiwan or spent 30 years in the states, but I have come across plenty of people that say things they don’t intend to follow up on…in both places.

I totally agree. Americans don’t necessarily mean it when they say “We should hang out sometime,” and Taiwanese don’t necessarily not mean it. It’s a noncommittal opening for you to follow up on (or not), but the initiative will have to be on your side.

I meant that people in Taiwan more often say, “We should [hang out/have coffee/etc] sometime,” and mean what Americans mean when they say, “See you around,” than actually intending to hang out.

So what you’re trying to say is, there’s no phrase that means “See you around” or “Let’s hang out” in Chinese.

If that’s the case, you’re right, it would sound very weird if you said the above phrases in Chinese, as a departing phrase.

Yeah, I guess.

If I’m trying to say “See you around” in Chinese, I would say 改天見, but it sounds kind of awkward to me since I don’t hear very many people say that in situations besides saying bye after prior discussion of concrete plans.

Yeah, that would be weird as fuck.
Pretty much everyone I know sticks with the ubiquitous “Buh bye”

Which kind of makes us sound like a nation of four-year-olds.

It seems like most talk about meeting again seems to revolve around who’s going to pick up the tab next time.
下一次我請客哦。
不行,下次我請客!

I guess it’s just simpler to say…