What Are Useless Things in Taipei?

What are things that are mostly useless in Taipei?

I’m going with

• sunglasses
  • nice motorcycle
  • convertible cars
  • stylish clothes

On the esoteric side

• creativity
  • desire to exceed beyond expectations
  • foreigners that can speak Chinese
1 Like

Traffic lights
Stop signs

I don’t see how “foreigners that can speak Chinese” are useless. Shouldn’t that be “foreigners that cannot speak Chinese” are useless?

2 Likes

I’m not sure foreigners that speak Chinese have much better professional opportunity in Taiwan than a foreigner that doesn’t speak Chinese.

True, but they’re less likely to order chicken intestines in the night market by mistake.

I’m going with ‘cars’. I absolutely love not needing one.

Sleep. Can’t get enough of that from the noise.

Quakes. Completely useless to anyone, wish there weren’t any

Scoots/motos. Taipei is the capital of those and those things are evil.

Taipei 101. Useless and pointless. Berge whats-its-face ends that particular race.

Chinese tourists. Useless.

Asshole drivers. Useless

Assholes who scratch your car for fun. Useless.

Traffic jams. Useless

Constant Rain. Not useless but can be a bit much .

Cold in winter. Can’t find a use for that. But it’s been unseasonably warm this winter so i hear.

Non heated homes (all of them) Useless in Winter.

The television. All of it. The fake news, the brain-dead soap operas, the inane talk shows, the “travel shows” that usually consist of two morons visiting tourist traps and waxing endlessly about how delicious the “local specialties” are, and especially the variety shows…the unfunny hosts, the halfwit starlets, the ridiculous outfits, the audience that shouts out “Waaaaaaaaaaah!” and “Ehhhhhhhhhh!” in unison, the stupid sound effects that they stole from American cartoons…every time I hear it I can feel brain cells dying inside my head.

6 Likes

I heard that there have been a couple of good shows lately though, but yeah most of them are total garbage.

Even the movies/TV series/Korean/Chinese/Japanese shows they bought are mostly total garbage.

traffic cops.
non smoking signs.
no scooter parking signs.
pedestrians having right of way signs.

several laws and rules.

1 Like

You actually watch those??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course not. I’d be completely certifiable if that were the case. I am subjected to them sometimes though. I do my best to shut them out, but sometimes you just can’t block out the “Waaaaaaahs” and Ehhhhhhhhhhs" and “Boi-oi-oi-oings.” :dizzy_face:

Taipei 101 is not useless. Its one of the few unadulterated successes of my 25 years in Taiwan. An iconic structure that does what it say on the, um, can. It really ties the whole landscape together.

1 Like