What are *you* listening to? (Part 1)

Thanks AWOL - the music doesn’t have to be new, just new to me! In fact I like delving into the past for some good music. I don’t keep up with music really so there’s plenty of stuff from the 90’s which I have yet to discover. I just need a few pointers.

You mentioned ‘…etc’ Care to elaborate! :slight_smile:

I highly recommend [color=blue]Gomez[/color]. Go in order of their releases: Bring it On with the amazing Get Myself Arrested (the song that got me hooked), 78 Stone Wobble, Rie’s Wagon, and Happiness is a Warm Trombone a grungy, electric bluesy feeling album full of the amazing voices of Ben Ottewell with his uniquely rough, gravelly voice that can both set your soul on fire and break your heart, the nicely contrasting silky-voiced Ian Ball, and Tom Gray plus Olly Peacock on drums and Paul Blackburn on bass. Then move on to Liquid Skin with Rosalita, We Haven’t Turned Around (used in the film American Beauty), Blue Moon Rising, and Hangover where they slow their songs down and pour all sorts of emotions into their songs and a very complex sound with their playing creating, in essence, pure ingenuity in music. In the first two albums, while I have my favorites listed above, I cannot think of one song that I did not like, which is rare for me. Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline is mostly B-sides, live tracks, and a fresh cover of the Beatles’ Getting Better (used by Phillips in their commercials when they introduced the world to the flat screen TV). Favorites from it are The Cowboy Song, Getting Better, and Bring Your Lovin’ Back Here. In Our Gun experiments with a little electronica, funky bass lines, and harmony with my personal favorites being Sound of Sounds (Ian Ball doing lead vocals with the others joining in for the chorus in voice blending that outshines even the Beatles…a song that I set my discman to repeat for over an hour and wore my batteries out long before I would have if I could have gotten tired of the song), Ruff Stuff, Even Song, In Our Gun, and 1000 Times.
If you appreciate music with texture, you will love this band.

Actually I recommend them to everyone who is interested in what real music should sound like.

You can thank me later.

On a side note, I spent most of my sophomore year in college trying to get a copy of Bring It On after seeing the video for Get Myself Arrested. I fell in love with the band right away after seeing and hearing them just that first time. I got it for Christmas from my mother (the only thing I had on my list) but when I opened the CD (the first thing I did after I finished opening the rest of my presents), it had D’Angelo’s Brown Sugar inside. When we went to exchange it, the stores had sold out and only had Liquid Skin, which had just been released, but I was so set on getting it that I didn’t get Liquid Skin right away. I wound up having to special order it through an amazing little music store run by a really cool Deadhead in my college town (that also ordered the soundtracks to All That Jazz and Xanadu for me)…I only regret letting myself go so long before I got either CD. When In Our Gun was released in 2002, I rushed to FNAC to buy it. I still listen to all of their albums on a regular (i.e. daily) basis, seven years after I bought their first two…especially their first two.

Gomez is releasing a new album in May, says their Virgin music website. I listened to the first track “Catch me up.” Nice.

from Virgin:

"For the last 18 months Gomez have hid themselves away in their own studio in the dreary Sussex town of Portslade. Perhaps not the most rock ‘n’ roll setting to write new material in but then again Gomez have never done things the conventional way. In that time though, around 50 songs surfaced from the sessions; thirteen of which now happily make up the composition for this their fourth album.

For their past three albums Gomez adopted a DIY approach preferring to record and produce their music themselves. For ‘Split The Difference’ however, they’ve recruited the help of Tchad Blake, who’s worked with everyone from Tom Waits to Crowded House. The result? A straight-forward (in Gomez terms) down the line rock ‘n’ roll album, oozing layer upon layer of bluesy rock riffs, and trademark vocal harmonies.

The first fruits to be released from ‘Split The Difference’ is current single ‘Catch Me Up’ out on 8th March through Hut Recordings. The album is scheduled to follow in May."

About ten years ago some girl group in Taiwan did The Archies, Sugar Sugar. I don’t know who they were, but the way they pronounced honey honey used to get to me right in the gonads. It had a sort of ‘me so horny’ quality. I would love to find out who that was.

I knew Gomez was due for a new album. I will definitely own it within a week of it being released (here in Taiwan). The video for Catch Me Up is pretty sweet too. Thanks for the heads-up, Hans.

Richardm

Could you possibly mean “Heavy Chains”??? They did a great version of Tiffany’s “I Think We’re Alone Now”… I can understand your ‘southern’ movements…

Saw them play maybe 3 years ago now at TomStock. Awesome stuff.

Meet the world’s greatest ever grindcore band…

The Evil that is Caninus!

Shh…don’t tell anyone, but you can hear The Great Lost Kinks Album (well, one version of it) in streaming audio here:

the-vines.net/kinksplayer.htm

I already had another version on bootleg CD, but this one’s nice to have easily accessible on the net. Plus, a few rarities I haven’t heard of. Classic stuff.

But now here’s a real goldmine:

freddie.spb.ru

Entire albums full of rockabilly, surf music, folk music, baroque and harpsichord music, classic '60s and '70s rock from the Hollies to Slade. Plus, one “hidden” page: freddie.spb.ru/rock/acdc/ Plays within seconds on your Realplayer.

The man can’t bust Freddie because he’s airing his files from Russia.

Saw My Morning Jacket recently - mind blowing… and Grandaddy in 3 weeks… East Coast Blues Fest next week!!! Life is indeed good.

I just got a great new CD and have been listening to it over and over and over.

Toots and the Maytals True Love :bouncy:

It came out in 2004 and is one of those featured super-guest-musician compilations. It is one upbeat, happy CD. Some of my favorites on it are Pressure Drop with Eric Clapton, 54-46 Was My Number with Jeff Beck, Funky Kingston with Bootsy Collins, Careless Ethiopians with Keith Richards and Love Gonna Walk out on Me with Ben Harper. Also great songs with Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, No Doubt, the Skatalites and more.

In case you think I’m pulling some polka BS on you, check it out for yourself:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … ce&s=music

Just a question I want to ask.

You know when you watch a movie and it is leading to the climax part, there is usually like a chant with music and it sounds really freaky but works with the movie. I don’t know if this is a song or what but I wouldn’t know if it is even a song. It’s like they are chanting in latin or something and I think it comes from a choir?

Wang Ben Hu the Gaohsiung TV host has it when his show leads to a commercial.

Just want to know what to call this type of chant or who sings it.

ok does anyone understand me? Yikes. Hard to explain.

Good topic. I have found over the years that the best way to hear new music, aside from getting a recommendation from someone, or seeing or hearing something unintentionally, is to get a compilation. A couple of comps that changed my musical life:

Flipside Vinyl Fanzine, Vol. 1: Punk/Hardcore Compilation from 1984. First time I heard a couple of obscure but good punk bands I otherwise never would have listened to, such as FOD, F, Freeze.

Blasting Concept: from around 1979, early LA punk on SST. Some known bands, lots of unknowns that were good but sadly didn’t have much beyond one EP. I am thinking of the Stains …

What’s Up, Matador? Chicago area alternative comp from the mid 90s. Lots of blissfully obscure, decent bands, plus a few well known ones that I had heard of but never bothered listening to because of preconceived notions. I am thinking of Liz Phair, that song Stratford Upon Guy or whatever its called is brilliant, lyrically and musically.

Pipeline! Live Boston Rock from WMBR: Boston area underground comp culled from live performances from the MIT radio station in the early and mid 90s. Obscurities I had not heard from before include Orangutang, Gigolo Aunts. More well known bands on the comp included Morphone, Roger Miller. Very raw, the way rock should be …

KCRW: Sounds Eclectic and Sounds Eclectic Too: Live peformances on some West Coast public radio station (?) recorded in the late 90s and early part of this decade. I heard both of these reviewed on NPR and got em … so many strong tracks and performances by very talented musicians I otherwise would never, ever have heard … Starsailor, Supreme Beings Of Leisure, Shivaree, Zero 7. [/b]

Discovered Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane. I had This Love on my list after hearing it a few times on my taxi rides to work and bought it Thursday night when I was intending to buy Gomez’s Split the Difference (which $%@ing FNAC does not have despite its May 18 release). I am very satisfied, listening to it constantly, and it’s makes a decent consolation for not being able to buy Gomez’s latest release. My favorite songs are This Love, Sunday Morning, The Sweetest Goodbye, and Harder to Breathe.

Has a rating of 4-1/2 stars out of 5 on amazon.com (with 443 votes).

[quote=“sticks of fury”]Just a question I want to ask.

You know when you watch a movie and it is leading to the climax part, there is usually like a chant with music and it sounds really freaky but works with the movie. I don’t know if this is a song or what but I wouldn’t know if it is even a song. It’s like they are chanting in latin or something and I think it comes from a choir?

Wang Ben Hu the Gaohsiung TV host has it when his show leads to a commercial.

Just want to know what to call this type of chant or who sings it.

ok does anyone understand me? Yikes. Hard to explain.[/quote]

Maybe it’s a Gregorian chant. This was popular a while back. Just a bunch of monks chanting in Latin.

Are you talking about a specific piece of music or a type of music? One of the more famous choruses in Latin is the O Fortuna from Carmina Burana, used in Excalibur, and completely defiled by a Nescafe coffee ad :slight_smile:

MP3 here (note - this is a completely legal MP3 found on the singers’ own website for distribution, and of course Carmina Burana itself is public domain):

music.neu.edu/Ensembles/chorus/chorus.html

I recently bought Wilco’s new album “A Ghost is Born”… stunning. These guys just continue to grow, easily one of the greatest American bands of all time.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I just got a great new CD and have been listening to it over and over and over.

Toots and the Maytals True Love :bouncy:

It came out in 2004 and is one of those featured super-guest-musician compilations. It is one upbeat, happy CD. [/quote]

Great score MT.

But for me there is only one–Christopher Parker, AKA Charlie Parker, AKA Bird, AKA Yardbird… It would be pointless to recommend one album or one track, there’s not a one that’s anything less than supreme. And speaking of supreme–give me some Trane twice a day and eight times on Sundays. Trane…Train, Check out Mingus’ version of ‘Take the A train.’ Or better yet, try “Mingus Plays Piano,” esp. the track “Myself, When I Am Real,” a melodic tribute to the improvisational nature of the genre. But my man Miles has, his whole life, sought to transcend the genre, and he did. Give Phantalassa a listen and watch all these “trance” kids’ mouths drop when you tell them it’s form 1971, and instrumental to boot.
Well I guess that’s more than one, but… :bouncy:

I’ve found links such as these great for learning about new artists, people’s recommendations, rare tracks, etc.

So please share what’s in your cd player/mp3 player now.

For me right now, I’m doing a little shoegazing.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless and Isn’t Anything
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Ride - Nowhere
Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To.

I’m a newbie to this forum, although I’ve been lurking for a while, and I arrive in Taipei in 3 days from Vancouver. So I guess this makes this my greetings post.

So please share what your listening to.

Beat Surrender - The Jam

Media player on random select…listening to Orchid by Black Sabbath. Shall I keep this thread open and give you a song list of my afternoon…I don’t understand…now…what is now…

oh…now I am listening to Cake covering I Will Survive…am I in the wrong thread…must get out…must go to Games Club…NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo (ooooppps…yelling)…I am 12 steps away from release…Hi, my name is Toe and I’m a Forumosan…

ToeMelts