What are you listening to? (Part 3)

One of my favourite Joy Division songs–Atmosphere:

youtube.com/watch?v=0We9d5J3 … re=related

Tim Fite - Fair Ain’t Fair

Super good and quirky. Think Talking Heads meets Modest Mouse in a sampler. Anyway here’s the myspace, here’s the youtube video for “Big Mistake,” and here’s the download link.

Waterboys -Fisherman’s Blues
Echo and The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

oh yeah and riot[/quote]

and i am the owl! can’t believe i forgot about that one :slight_smile:

Hold Me Down - Motion City Soundtrack

full albums of
Modest Mouse
Rainer Maria
Death Cab for Cutie
Pixies
Stone Roses

[quote=“yipyip”]

Tim Fite - Fair Ain’t Fair

Super good and quirky. Think Talking Heads meets Modest Mouse in a sampler. Anyway here’s the myspace, here’s the youtube video for “Big Mistake,” and here’s the download link.[/quote]

Hey, you’re right about this man! I hear a Modest Mouse.

The maddest song. Khun Lum Yai (Miss Longan). It’s a Thai mor lam sing style tune from around ten years ago, and still immensely popular in Thailand. It’s the first song I’ve been able to work out in Thai. More importantly, I think I;ve got the subtle nuances of it under wraps. Essentially the woman asks why her beau keeps calling her Miss longan (as in the fruit), and suggests a range of alternative and more appealing foreign sounding names, like Cherry, Ann. Pear, Fern or May, and using more polite Thai pronouns. The miss that’s used, or khun, is more like simply “you”.

She goes on to mention how her nose is nice and pointy, and how indeed she looks like a mix between Thai and American; sports a Crocodile brand handbag; wears nice make up; and Levi’s jeans. In the clip she’s on stage at a Miss Longan competition, a rural fair type beauty pageant which is held each year in Lumphun, near Chiang Mai - where Thailand’s most beautiful lasses are said to come from - dressed in western clothes going up against Thai beauties in traditional garb. Of course, all her pretense just highlights what a bumpkin she really is. In the end she wags her finger and says, if you think you can have me and call me Miss longan, you;d better think again.

A wonderful piss take, and a worthy little window into Thailand.

HG

HGC, have you seen this site which has lots of songs for Thai learning? ‘Made In Thailand’ is my KTV piece!* :wink:

Listening to The Streets, ‘A Grand Don’t Come For Free’; rediscovering it. I love this album.

*OK, so I murdered it once, in a group, and that excused me from ever having to sing anything in any language ever again.

OH MY! I want this played at my funeral:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ep66hYNS … re=related

[quote=“Buttercup”]OH MY! I want this played at my funeral:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xyeoXw8RRQc[/quote]

Nice one, Buttercup. I don’t really lile Mr. Cash much, well, I usually like the lyrics, but not the music. This one is one of the great ones, though.

:noway: the chief educated me.

Endtroducing by DJ Shadow

And while I’m on a cover songs thing, this makes me happy enough to wee.

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QwpLqrh19Ws

Angela Zhang - Aurora

Haven’t seen many Chinese songs in here. Not surprising I guess.

Right this second… “Hijo de la luna” by Mecano.

[quote=“Buttercup”]And while I’m on a cover songs thing, this makes me happy enough to wee.

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QwpLqrh19Ws[/quote]

I liked it, too. TY.

TY?

YW?

now playing: Megadeth - Youthanasia

Greyboy Ruffneck Jazz. I can’t find a link to the entire piece, but you can hear part of it here: npr.org/templates/story/stor … =100667652

I LOVE it!

I’ve been stuck on this song all day

Flashing Lights by Kanye West

I think I’m projecting on to the women in the video…