What Are You Watching (TV Series, etc.)? :facebook:

Recently, I have seen a lot of stuff written about Fear the Walking Dead. having lost the thread of The Walking Dead -it was engaging at the beginning, then it got too complicated- I did not pay that much attention, though it seems that this sort of prequel is really making a splash. Take this episode for instance:

[quote]Much has been written about Fear the Walking Dead’s flaws. A companion show to AMC’s hit The Walking Dead, it takes place at the very onset of the zombie apocalypse, but often moves far too slowly.

But there IS one thing FTWD is doing very well: it has one of the most complex, intriguing Latin American characters on prime-time television.

Daniel Salazar, the Salvadoran barber, is played by Panamanian music legend Ruben Blades. And it became clear in the latest episode, “Cobalt,” when he breaks down, that this unusual situation — the attack of flesh-eating monsters — is where television is having the conversation about the legacy of Latin American violence and the generational fractures it has produced among Latinos in the U.S.

As Los Angeles falls to the epidemic and zombies start taking to the streets, the army takes over. The neighbors mostly follow instructions and stubbornly cling to hope that civil, democratic society can endure. Salazar has no such notions. He grew up in a Latin America convulsed by violence from head to toe, Tierra del Fuego to Tijuana.

“I’ve seen this before,” he recalls. “People that go out in trucks and never come back.” His fellow survivor, Madison, a schoolteacher and mother, reassures him, “That’s not going to happen here.” He stares at her, pitying her for a few seconds before telling her: “Go home.”

Network executives who are pulling their hair out trying to figure out the key to the Latin audience should know that when you deny a people’s pain, you deny the strength it took to endure it. If Spanish-language networks have done one thing well, it’s allowing a space for that hurt to live.

That angst has found an unusual home on Fear the Walking Dead. At one point, Salazar tells Madison an anecdote from his youth in El Salvador: The people in his town had gone missing. His father had inquired about them, and the military told him not to worry — they’d come back. And they did: “I was standing in the river fishing, just a boy, and I found them,” Salazar tells her. “All of them. All at once. All around me. In the water. My father told me not to have hatred in my heart. He said that men do these things not because of evil, they do evil because of fear. And at that moment I realized my father is a fool for believing there’s a difference.”

Fear the Walking Dead and The Walking Dead both constantly play with that same idea my dad sort-of consoled me with: that what are even scarier than zombies are the living and what they have to go through to stay alive.
[/quote]
npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2 … storyshare

Breaking Bad is on again 10pm channel 70.

[quote=“Okami”]

Rick and Morty starts again on July 26th.[/quote]

Just watching pilot, looks pretty awesome.

Narcos. Makes we want to snort some coke.

startrek.com/article/new-sta … nuary-2017

cbs.com/shows/star-trek-series/

fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/star … eneration/

ign.com/articles/2015/11/02/ … google.com

ign.com/videos/2015/11/03/wh … google.com

[quote]Alex Kurtzman (Transformers, Fringe) will serve as executive producer and new episodes will be available exclusively on the CBS All Access digital subscription service.

"This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before — directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,”[/quote]

So does that mean the new some won’t be on network TV?

I consider it a plus that we are getting new characters, and not the ones from the current movie franchise. The description sounds like the old Trek TV format. I wonder how they are going to deal with the canon, since the movies essentially wiped out TNG, DS9 and VOY (ok, fine, and ENT) by altering the timeline.

Oh, and please, no more time travel… just don’t even…

I’m curious too. I think I’d like to see something like “True Detective” or “Fargo”, in the sense of different mini-series: an eight-episode story on the frontier with the Romulans, another eight-episode story for a far-flung exploration mission, and so on.

But there’s a massive weight of canon behind it, and I’m not sure how they can deal with that. Star Wars jettisoning the novels was traumatic enough for lots of people, but at least those novels were always something of a fringe; if they jettison all the TNG/DS9/VOY canon, that’s going to wipe out … well, almost everything. And since the new films are set in the same universe, they presumably have the same races, and while the Borg were great, I don’t want to see another first encounter with them.

They’re trying to pass it off as something fresh and new while still milking the brand name extension.

I loved Star Trek when I was a kid. It got old. It’s all been boldly gone already.

Saw an article that suggested the evolution of the Trek franchise mirrors the evolution of liberal thought from boundless optimism for the future to pessimistic crankiness. The alternate timeline is a tacit admission that liberalism’s vision for the future has failed.

[quote=“rowland”]They’re trying to pass it off as something fresh and new while still milking the brand name extension.

I loved Star Trek when I was a kid. It got old. It’s all been boldly gone already.

Saw an article that suggested the evolution of the Trek franchise mirrors the evolution of liberal thought from boundless optimism for the future to pessimistic crankiness. The alternate timeline is a tacit admission that liberalism’s vision for the future has failed.[/quote]

I’m assuming you didn’t watch that many episodes of DS9 or Voyager.

I think Trek’s view of the future has never stopped being optimistic. The entire concept of exploring without exploitation will be beneficial to all is very optimistic.

That doesn’t mean they are just taking holiday cruise ships out there with no weapons for self defence. The idea of mutual understanding ends conflicts is also very optimistic. The Federation eventually makes an alliance with the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and even the Borg.

Star Trek did best going where no man has gone before on TV when its writers base their stories on solid science. They did a great episode, Darmok, on Anthropology/Linguistics that they are probably still showing it at universities as an introduction to Anthropology.

Most comments I have seen say that CBS found a way to promote its CBS Access service -streamlining TV is the wave of the future and 5 USD per month -more or less- is not that much if you like the programs, but then it would face off with Netflix -people may wait until the whole thing is dumped there to binge. Star Trek, as usual, is ahead of its tie, being both the hook and the spear for this kind of service.

I just read a nice suggestion to set this story in the future, beyond Voyager. I like this article’s quite that the writer has carte blanche: they can set this in the new universe or the old standard.

Star Trek: can the franchise live long and prosper in the Netflix era?

[quote]Many fans – perhaps still smarting from the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise, the last televisual incarnation, in 2005 – will see this as Star Trek’s long-overdue return to its spiritual home. TV is where it all began, after all; where we really got to know Kirk, and Picard, and Sisko. Where the minutiae of the characters and universe could be explored and unravelled in unhurried detail. At their best, the TV shows ruminated on the biggest questions it’s possible to ponder – life, the universe and everything. Viewed from the post–Breaking Bad TV landscape of 2015 though, at their worst – and apologies to any Trekkies out there – they were sometimes ponderous, pious and slightly dull.

Kurtzman’s recent Star Trek films were many things, but they were not boring. Nor were they thoughtful, or reflective, or have anything to say that wasn’t yelled at the top of their lungs. They didn’t feel like Star Trek at all: more rambunctious sci-fi action-comedies – JJ Abrams Star Wars-ing Star Trek before jumping ship and Star Wars-ing Star Wars, effectively. What Kurtzman must decide is which Star Trek to make: his – slick, brash, modern – or the one that died in 2005. The one he thinks fans of the classic series would like to see, or the one for the Chris Pine generation.

[/quote]

youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

A young man speaking about how TNG helped him at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014. Hopefully the new Trek show can carry that torch.

[quote=“hansioux”]https://youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

A young man speaking about how TNG helped him at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014. Hopefully the new Trek show can carry that torch.[/quote]

Thanks for the link !

What I would personnally like to see is the old Star Trek timeline but with a BSG “treatment”. (By the way isn’t what Moore wanted to do with Voyager and got kicked for that ?)
Not the same things of course but something like a real odyssey. Things getting old and/or with real technical enhancements (you can apprehend visually) that really has impact on a long storyline, a real evolution in characters and relationships, etc.
I think it can be mixed whith the general optimistic views of the franchise.

Ah, and Data could still be there, even if not in a central role, but married with Quark’s grand daughter and selling detective stories in a new kind of flying bar-holodeck ( what ? why do you all say “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !”)

[quote=“Hopfrog”][quote=“hansioux”]https://youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

A young man speaking about how TNG helped him at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014. Hopefully the new Trek show can carry that torch.[/quote]

Thanks for the link !

What I would personnally like to see is the old Star Trek timeline but with a BSG “treatment”. (By the way isn’t what Moore wanted to do with Voyager and got kicked for that ?)
Not the same things of course but something like a real odyssey. Things getting old and/or with real technical enhancements (you can apprehend visually) that really has impact on a long storyline, a real evolution in characters and relationships, etc.

Ah, and Data could still be there, even if not in a central role, but married with Quark’s grand daughter and selling detective stories in a new kind of flying bar-holodeck ( what ? why do you all say “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !”)[/quote]

I’m a BSG fan as well, so I can get on board with that idea. However, the BSG format is basically LOST, only replacing the island with space. They try to focus on tension and conflicts and have very little time to discuss a topic. Maybe they can make it work, since in the first 2.5 seasons, BSG did explore many complicated morality issues. Although it had to try so hard to dig itself out of all the holes in the plot by the end, that aspect of the show was basically out the window.

I had imagined a Firefly version of Trek, where the main crew is a group of ex-Maquis, who witness their home destroyed with biogenic weapons by Captain Sisko in the episode For the Uniform. After the ultimate defeat of the Maquis by the Dominion, the disenchanted crew began wandering in space, taking questionable jobs, and gives the Federation and Cardassians hell whenever possible. It would be a whole new angle to look in to the future.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Hopfrog”][quote=“hansioux”]https://youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

Thanks for the link !

Ah, and Data could still be there, even if not in a central role, but married with Quark’s grand daughter and selling detective stories in a new kind of flying bar-holodeck ( what ? why do you all say “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !”)[/quote]

I’m a BSG fan as well, so I can get on board with that idea. However, the BSG format is basically LOST, only replacing the island with space. They try to focus on tension and conflicts and have very little time to discuss a topic. Maybe they can make it work, since in the first 2.5 seasons, BSG did explore many complicated morality issues. Although it had to try so hard to dig itself out of all the holes in the plot by the end, that aspect of the show was basically out the window.

I had imagined a Firefly version of Trek, where the main crew is a group a ex-Maquis, who witness their home destroyed with biogenic weapons by Captain Sisko in the episode For the Uniform. After the ultimate defeat of the Maquis by the Dominion, the disenchanted crew began wandering in space, taking questionable jobs, and gives the Federation and Cardassians hell whenever possible. It would be a whole new angle to look in to the future.[/quote]

Yes, it was the parts when they keep the “one episode, one moralilty/political/religious etc. issue” while keeping an elaborate though not too complicated arch storyline that I was talking about. I should have been more precise in my last post

As for a Firely (or Cowboy Bebop) version, I also find this very appealing but in that case, in my humble point of view, they should be careful to hire oustanding dialog writers since Firefly scripts are simply Gems of wit and fun and fans would inevitably make comparaisons. And CB ones are carefully crafted and very stylish in the cool/trashy domain

But we would be navigating at some very high level of skills there I think and by expecting too much we might be very disappointed in the end ! haha
Let’s hope CBS wants to make this series their “loss Leader” product in order to attract consumers…

So say we all !

[quote=“Hopfrog”]
So say we all ![/quote]

:bravo:

frak, I miss BSG… too bad they actually didn’t have a plan at the end :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to see ST reimagined. What worked in the 1960’s looks schlocky and comic-book-y today. For example, while I understand the dramatic reasons behind having humanoid aliens, the result is hard to take seriously as science-fiction anymore. But what if “Spock” looked more like the Horta? How would that change all their inter-relationships? Similarly, Mr. Data was hardly any more serious of a treatment of AI than the decades of earlier robot characters.

Trek has its share of non-humanoid aliens.

Species 8472 for example,

or Ba’neth

Both I think looks pretty awesome for aliens.

There are plenty of aliens who only took shape of humans to facilitate communication. Q, Founders (Changeling, shape shifters from DS9), Caretakers (from Voyager), Kelvans, and the Prophets ( Wormhole Aliens from DS9).

The goal of Trek is to tell stories, and when non-whimsical, Trek likes to do stories based on social issues, philosophical ideas, and moral dilemmas. It really isn’t about coming up with never seen before aliens. The aliens are there to serve as a mirror to our problems here on earth right now.

Non-humanoid lifeforms, like the Horta, would usually present a difficulty to communicate, are usually the bad guy of the week.

Q and the Holodeck served a similar function–as a handy excuse to have adventures in other settings, like the time of Robin Hood. (On TOS it would have been a planet which coincidentally happened to look like some well-known earth setting.) Another trope which TNG frequently returned to was the visiting relative. I think we met multiple relatives of every single character, even the android! Man From Atlantis did the same sort of stories, despite ostensibly being about an amphibious amnesiac.

I like the really goofy TOS-POS episodes–you know, where they’d be fired on by a mysterious spaceship, then get a message (“Put in on screen, Lieutenant”), which would seque into a cackling Easter Bunny or something.

[quote=“Zla’od”] like the time of Robin Hood. (On TOS it would have been a planet which coincidentally happened to look like some well-known earth setting.)

I like the really goofy TOS-POS episodes–you know, where they’d be fired on by a mysterious spaceship, then get a message (“Put in on screen, Lieutenant”), which would seque into a cackling Easter Bunny or something.[/quote]

The Prophets on occasions served to take the plot into another setting, but in DS9’s cases, most of them were rather serious, and usually inside someone’s head. There was one that talked about slave labour, one that talked about how to uphold justice under unjust leadership, and one that talked about racism (Far Beyond the Stars).

The Robin Hood one is already very goofy. I hope there will be no more lizard babies of main cast members in the future series…