What Are You Watching (TV Series, etc.)? :facebook:

I am kind of enthusiastic. Still I guess it will be like Abrams’ kiddie trek. Which comes across to me as entertaining action SciFi but somehow not the real deal. Still better than nothing.

In kiddie Trek, we’ll never get to see an episode about two non-corporeal immortal omnipotent beings debating the morality of suicide (Death Wish, VOY).

I remember that, now that you mention it. Yes, we will rather see bling bling which is nice during the first viewing when one tends to ignore the nagging brain pointing out illogical stuff. But kind of gets much worse during the 2nd viewing.

Well, I guess we will see another crew with another ship, probably close to some uncharted area of space where finally the aliens are more like Nazis or religious fanatics. Which gives plenty of time for some nice battle scenes and phaser effects. Needles to say the enemy will look human and their home planet has one single culture everywhere.

We’ll see plenty of planet missions where the whole friggin’ planet consists of a single village which then needs to be saved by time travel fixing the holographic sewers which otherwise will spread a nasty computer virus into the holo(?) village.

No wait, they can’t do all that again, can they?
Maybe they will surprise us all pleasantly… :pray:

They have over 300 books in the TOS universe alone. Granted, around number 135 things get a bit… weird, but repetitive, nope. I guess it is like the DC Universe: awesome in a certain format -awesome animated stories-… and a disaster when they try to make them with real life actors.

I am a big TOS fan. Loved the animated series. Loved most of the books. I hated TNG -it was like saccharine… and I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. It was like a vegan gluten free tamal. But at that time we had not much. It was to keep Star Trek alive. DS9 was so much better, though I did not see much of it, and I loved VOY in spite of its faults many. But we are back again with the reboot movies almost trespassing into saccharine territory…

Recently CBS had accepted a pitch from a fan. I wonder how much of that pitch is included in the new series. None? Some?
http://screencrush.com/star-trek-tv-return-pitch-uncharted/

The pitch seems to fit to the Abramsverse reboot, while the author claims it would fit to both the original and the Abrams’ timeline.

The sentence: [quote]A new USS Enterprise is built. It is the first ship to bear the name since the original Enterprise was destroyed in the Galactic War.[/quote] … however sounds very much like Abramsverse 200 years in the future or a timeline of its own.

Side note, the DC TV show the Flash seems to be pretty great, so I’ve heard anyway…

[quote=“Icon”]
I am a big TOS fan. Loved the animated series. Loved most of the books. I hated TNG -it was like saccharine… and I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. It was like a vegan gluten free tamal. But at that time we had not much. It was to keep Star Trek alive. DS9 was so much better, though I did not see much of it, and I loved VOY in spite of its faults many. But we are back again with the reboot movies almost trespassing into saccharine territory…[/quote]

Most Trek series were pretty much terrible through out the first 3 seasons. There are brilliant episode in the first 3 seasons, such as the Voyager season 2 episode Death Wish I just mentioned, or DS9 season 1 episode Duet, but the seasons on their own are often almost unbearable. I hope the new Trek would not have this problem, because I don’t think the fans are as lenient as they used to be. It only takes one episode like Encounter at Farpoint, Move Along Home, or Threshold for people to abandon ship.

I had to google up Threshold an MoveAlongHome, but yes, those are horrible, horrible episodes. Voy:Threshold is even considered non-canon by many fans. :slight_smile: Was the episode with the big lizard as the epitome of evolution, right?

Yup, that’s what I was referencing when I said no more lizard babies…

The premise of the episode is that when you break the Warp 10 barrier, the person travelling at warp 10 is literally at everywhere at the same time. The side effect is that afterwards the person devolves into a lizard… WTF?

Should have done that in a funny way. Like Janeway and Paris coming out of the shuttle being stoned after having reached Warp 10 and Tom saying: “Wooooooaaah, that stuff is great. … Saw you turning into a lizard thingy during the ride.”

Never mind. I am very cheerful I can finally nag about a new Star Trek series, even before we know its contents. Much better than nagging about not having one :wink:

[quote=“bob_honest”]Should have done that in a funny way. Like Janeway and Paris coming out of the shuttle being stoned after having reached Warp 10 and Tom saying: “Wooooooaaah, that stuff is great. … Saw you turning into a lizard thingy during the ride.”
[/quote]

Yup, that would have been a much better episode… although it then wouldn’t discourage the crew from going Warp 10… it may actually encourage them to do so…

Does anyone remember the Voyager episode Course: Oblivion? It showed up on some “Worst Trek Episode” list, and I have always found it to be an amazing episode.

Had to google it up again but then remembered it immediately. I loved it! It is one of those episodes where you start questioning the fabric of our own reality, which could lead to an interesting philosophical and scientific discourse. Also the episode reminded me of Goethe’s “I think so I am” (not an expert here to distinguish real quotes from others). Hey, maybe some mad alien just fabricated me out of some goo, but I feel like a real person so I try to live like one. Depicts our struggle in live.
Or: hey… maybe we are all in a simulation on a sophisticated computer of an alien 10-dimensional lifeform, but…

Abrams’ Trek and likewise shows will avoid such difficult territory I guess and without the philosophical background all that is left is: “Hey, did you see that stupid episode where the crew is made of goo and falls apart?”

[quote=“bob_honest”]Had to google it up again but then remembered it immediately. I loved it! It is one of those episodes where you start questioning the fabric of our own reality, which could lead to an interesting philosophical and scientific discourse. Also the episode reminded me of Goethe’s “I think so I am” (not an expert here to distinguish real quotes from others). Hey, maybe some mad alien just fabricated me out of some goo, but I feel like a real person so I try to live like one. Depicts our struggle in live.
Or: hey… maybe we are all in a simulation on a sophisticated computer of an alien 10-dimensional lifeform, but…

Abrams’ Trek and likewise shows will avoid such difficult territory I guess and without the philosophical background all that is left is: “Hey, did you see that stupid episode where the crew is made of goo and falls apart?”[/quote]

Yeah, finding out their own identity really resonated with me. Some people hated the ending, but I thought it was very poignant in mirroring the futility of the real Voyager’s own journey home.

The revelation of their true identity reminded me of the plot of a Japanese anime, Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita). When the brilliant Doctor Desty Nova realized that he and all residents of Tiphares, the city in orbit, who believe they resemble the best of humanity, unlike the half human half cyborg filth living on earth, have a computer chip for a brain.

Gulp. Also nasty. I was a wee bit angry for the ending but still it is a strong episode.
And rethinking my link from above: Most likely they will come out with something totally new. Wouldn’t make sense to come up with a new show where the basics are already on the Internet.

Was thinking about revisionist history and I am reminded of another great Voyager episode. Does anybody remember the episode “Living Witness”? It’s one of my favorite Voyager episodes.

A backup copy of the EMH was reactivated 700 years into the future by an Alien historian. The holographic Doctor was horrified not just by his predicament, but also how the museum is presenting a revisionist version of history to the public, where a group of Aliens had used to gain a higher social status over another.

That episode was fun and sincere at the same time, featuring outrageous revised simulations of Voyager crew, and a glimpse into how a society comes to terms with facing real historical events, even though there are plenty of people who would rather not.

Here’s Chako-Tay torturing someone for information. Love how all the details are slightly off in the revision.

Ehem, in a sort of related topic -we could make a whole separate thread of revivals, actually- guess what else they are resurrecting?

[quote]Cult 60s sci-fi show Lost In Space finds its way back to the small screen with a new reboot ‘picked up by Netflix’

In an era where the world turned its eyes to space it gave a kitsch glimpse into life among the stars.

And it seems that a whole new generation will be able to see the Robinsons try to find their way back home to Earth, as the cult '60s show is rumoured to have been picked up by Netflix.

In a move which will see the original TV series updated for the 21st Century, the show’s executive producer Kevin Burns appeared to reveal that the streaming service had said yes to a remake.

A mix between the Swiss Family Robinson and popular science fiction at the time, the show capitalised on the excitement of the era’s space race between the United States and USSR.

Airing a full year before Captain Kirk burst onto screens in Stark Trek, the show ran for three series and spawned a whole host of memorable characters.

Most famous are the nefarious and conniving Dr. Smith, who was trapped alongside the family and seemed unusually obsessed with bringing about their demise.

Rumoured to be attached to bringing the Robinson family and the rest of their crew firmly into the future are Dracula Untold writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless.

The Descent (2005) and Dog Soldiers (2002) director Neil Marshall has also been linked to the project.

This isn’t the first time Lost In Space has been given a reboot however, as in 1998 Gary Oldman and Matt LeBlanc starred in a feature film adaption which received a muted reception.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar … z3sSzaS1LP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

[/quote]

Oh, boy. Not happy with rummaging the depths of coffins to dig out old worn out used up movies, now they give us… recycled TV? At least from the Golden Era, but what’s next? Though I’ loved Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and others, I know that resurrection attempts on The Time Tunnel and similar fare have been a disaster. Heck, what’s next? Gilligan’s Island -in sci fi, LOST like version, of course. Fantasy Island? For that purpose, bring back Firefly. I mean, BSG worked on hard work and sweat and blood and… faltered at the end. They brought back V for Pete’s sake’s!

Which hence derived the question: while truly Star Trek exists in a rich universe where story possibilities are almost endless, when can we say enough is enough? Do we really need another attempt?

The only thing I salvage from this is that at least we are moving forward into the real future. TV on demand is the key, Netflix and HBO originals kind of productions, that you can binge on or nibble on, depending if you like or not. Very unlike the old era of pandering to commercials. Heck, we may have a better hope with British style production schedules, 5 chapters tops per season, though starving the fans two years or more does seem… rude -looking at you, Sherlock. Anyways, focus on quality, not quantity.

Star Trek this time around will be used as the horse that will drag a new TV medium. Let’s hope it will not be the other way around… and a dead horse.

You are right, who in the right min would bring back lost in space and V before bringing back firefly?..

I actually saw the darn movie in theater… Interstellar it was not. A faithful robot thing might have worked in the past because it was relatively new and seeing robot as pet or family was a new concept, but it’s been there done that. I wonder what they could do to make it new and different.

Master of None (netflix comedy) created and starring Aziz Ansari. The other co-creator is an ABC non-mandarin speaking Alan Yang whose parents are originally from Taiwan. There is also another ABC actor with roots from Taiwan as a semi-regular.

Aziz Ansari is playing more of a normal working actor who happens to be funny, rather than an over-the-top “character” simply there to deliver funny lines. I’ve watched half the episodes and really enjoyed it. But it’s not a “sitcom” so there won’t be non-stop laughs, but there is some real story lines and has heart to it.

[quote=“hansioux”]Was thinking about revisionist history and I am reminded of another great Voyager episode. Does anybody remember the episode “Living Witness”? It’s one of my favorite Voyager episodes.

A backup copy of the EMH was reactivated 700 years into the future by an Alien historian. The holographic Doctor was horrified not just by his predicament, but also how the museum is presenting a revisionist version of history to the public, where a group of Aliens had used to gain a higher social status over another.

That episode was fun and sincere at the same time, featuring outrageous revised simulations of Voyager crew, and a glimpse into how a society comes to terms with facing real historical events, even though there are plenty of people who would rather not.

Here’s Chako-Tay torturing someone for information. Love how all the details are slightly off in the revision.

[/quote]

Oh yes, that one is good. One real life example of history getting a little roughing-up to match the victor could be the depiction of late Rome and emperor Nero. This is a purely Christian view of Nero, with which we are accustomed to nowadays.
And the whole Jesus image and the Holy Trinity viewpoint of him has been laid out by the Trinitarians who killed off the Arinians. Plenty of examples. Columbus is seen as a heroic explorer, while people in the Dominican Republic actually use his name as a curse. If ever.

Where can I find this Master of None? I love the entire cast of P&R.

It’s not on EZTV…

should be on [online]