What Are You Watching (TV Series, etc.)? :facebook:

Hmm,
I grew up with the original series, only cam eto love it more a it aged for what it reprsesented, sci-fi as a vehicle to explore social issues in a mainstream entertainment channel, wow! It still blows me away, corny as Kirk and his dialogue so often was. Spock was, is and always will be a god.

Start with ep1, watch one a week or so. Or bingewatch during CNY!

Vikings, S4E18

WOW!! this show has it’s ups and downs, but this one was over the top and just the beginning of what we have been waiting for!

Yeah, this is the most interesting show I’ve been following for the last few years. At least it’s educational.

You guys. I’m sort of slightly pumped for The Defenders. Iron fist hasn’t come out yet, but judging by Marvel’s track record, it can’t be too bad. Still haven’t finished Luke Cage but there’s some time. Daredevil + Jessica Jones + Luke Cage + Iron Fist? I’d like to see that personality clash, plus some coordinated (or severely lack thereof) clobberin’ of bad guys.

Also? Sigourney Weaver, AKA Lt. Ellen Freakin’ Ripley, is gonna play the villain. Come on.

Ps. Iron fist trailer:

Stranger things season 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Egf5U8xLo8

I have no clue why I can’t find a trailer in either Japanese or English, but Spanish will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgewouHwjW4

I’ve been watching this reality show series on Netflix. My friends suggested it in the states so I picked it up over the long holiday break.

Starts epically slow since the members are all getting to know each other, but it picks up after a few episodes.

I’m now on Season 2 of Boys and Girls in the City and am looking forward to watching Aloha State when I finish up the 30 something episodes.

Legion [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5114356/](http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5114356/)

Not the movie or movies by the same name. The newest superhero show, and wow. No spoilers, but check it out. Marvel tv gets edgier in a big way. Gotta agree with reviewers, best origin story evah! (on tv so far,at least)

The Handmaid’s Tale

A quick search thru my posts for the term Gilead would reveal that I have been railing against the rise of Christian fundamentalism in the west for years by using Ms Atwood’s fictional setting as a metaphor.

Well, we are just over a month away from the release of a new series based on this dystopian novel. Buckle up kids. Not gonna be pretty.

Atwood had Christian fundamentalism in mind when she wrote A Handmaiden’s Tale, but I get the feeling that present-day readers (and soon viewers) will find more parallels between Gilead and an Islamic state. Looking forward to seeing the adaptation in any case.

I really tried to watch William Shatner’s new TV “reality show”, Better late than never, which in Chinese they gave the misleading title: Granpas over Flowers US version. Granpas over Flowers is a Korean travelogue which is credited with inspiring the wave of Korean tourists we now enjoy in Taiwan.

Unfortunately, the only inspiration I got while attempting to watch Better late than never was to turn off the tv and clean up the kitty litter. It was a more fragant and pleasant experience… and one of the cats has the runs.

Look, I love Shatner and he was the calmest of all in there, his soothing voice a balm to my poor ears…especially after one of the guys farted during his meditation… Why did they have to visit Japan and make such fools of themselves?

Maybe the show was too gringo for me… as in gringo tourist stereotype. But even that was not funny. It was painful. Uncalled for and unnecessary.

Don’t know if anybody’s watching this, but it’s not half bad…well, compared to all the other schlock on Taiwanese TV. On the plus side, it stars Yaoyao as a teenage temple medium in a schoolgirl outfit. On the minus side, it looks like they’ve bound her famous cleavage to make her more convincing as a high-schooler. It’s a little silly, but it’s filmed in Taipei’s northern suburbs, and the English subtitles are mostly quite well done. And with HBO co-producing, production values are much better than average.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying season 3 of The Leftovers.

1 Like

I am. I am loving it. Yao Yao is a very good actress in the making and has played teenager roles before convincingly -the sports movie Step Back to Glory, based on Jinmei High School performance in tug of war competitions abroad.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/movie/2013/02/08/370024/Director-cast.htm

Got a friend in NY who’s also hooked on the series. She’s Spanish/Japanese. Gives me hope for the wider appeal of Taiwanese TV series.

Regarding her personality assets, I think she actually got a reduction several years ago.

I saw this at an iPhone repair shop once and gotta say, the Japanese equilavent of Jersey/Geordie shore is really nothing like Jersey/Geordie shore​:joy::joy::joy:

Teenage Psychic is pretty great. For the last couple of years whenever someone asked if there’s a TV series suitable for learning Mandarin and Taigi, I would have a hard time coming up with a contemporary recommendation. Now, it will have to be Teenage Psychic.

Into the badlands is pretty good, nothing like it out there bringing HK fight choreography into a western show. I like Agents of shield. The Americans is pretty cool, sleeper KGB agents is such a interesting plot. Homeland is great. Gotham, the vikings and better call saul. I’m thinking about watching the new prison break.

One of my current favorites. It doesn’t always make sense, but it’s edgy and fun to watch.

I generally like Yao Yao as an actress. She’s been good in other things, as you mentioned. But I think she’s overplaying the ingenue in Teenage Psychic. I don’t mind a little overacting, but she’s really overdoing it here. Then again, this is a Taiwanese drama, so you probably can’t blame her too much.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The dialogue is fresh and colloquial, with a nice mix of Mandarin and Taiwanese, very reflective of the way people actually talk. And it of course helps immensely to have well-translated subtitles.

Well, she’s supposed to be 16. We were not the brightest bulbs back then.