What do you believe?

I believe in my conscience…

I don’t believe anything anymore. I don’t think there are absolutes and I don’t think there are truths, universal or trivial. Everything is in flux, everything changes, including beliefs. The more I see of the world, I adapt, identify, and come to terms with a lot of beliefs, even dis beliefs. Yeah it sounds corny and artificial, but there really is no ‘core’ belief anymore.

I believe in my own perceptions.

Of more interest, for me, are the Forumosans who are notably absent from this topic.

Belief in an existence after the present one, though a wonderful idea, is a thoroughly human concept steeped in arrogance. It is nothing more than the denial of and refusal to accept the inevitable fact of death. It is also the last desperate reach for a greater meaning and a purpose beyond mere existence.

This is approximately how my brain-mind works.

There is a way to understand the universe but you have to work at it.

Scientific thinking is the best way to do that in an organized way, when you have a society, science is your guy. It’s dramatically self-correcting and has an extremely reasonable criterion for truth (that a thing is falsifiable and testable). (If you have any doubt about that look up the recent clocking of neutrinos past the speed of light at CERN.)

For the individual the key is carefully balancing the extent to which you are open-minded and doubtful.
Being skeptical is completely different from being close-minded. It’s the difference between being picky about who you sleep with and being celibate. The former simply has standards, high ones at that, but they are reasonable. The fact that the evidence for your beliefs is weak is not grounds to criticize those standards. Unfortunately those of you that believe in things ( such as homeopathy, the bible or horoscopes) with weak standards come out as epistemological sluts in this analogy… :stuck_out_tongue: no hard feelings though.

Never confuse what you wish to be true with what is actually or most likely to be true.

Questions do not always deserve answers. For example “What is the meaning of life?” is ironically void of meaning and doesn’t deserve an answer until you specify what kind of answer you want. Even if you say “It’s different for everyone.” the question itself is simply ambiguous. Meaning could = purpose, a sentence, an ideal, a command from god etc… Life = human experience, biological existence on earth, the fact that anything exists etc…

The question of God’s existence was answered long ago. the answer is no. I can say that confidently, not dogmatically but with the same certainty that I deny every supernatural being that there isn’t COMPELLING evidence for. If you believe in a unique formulation of God, such as nature/ the laws of the universe, then you’re just being pointlessly ambiguous and lofty with word choice.

What is moral is dependent on the perceptions of the participants. No participants means no concept of morality.

At the end of the day it’s just more fun for everyone if you do “good” things but part of being good entails trying to figure out what is good for others and yourself, pretending/ assuming you know what is good is much more dangerous than admitting you are probably mislead but willing to change and figure it out.

Never have faith. Believe, but always be ready to be wrong.

Peace & Love everyone.

I believe in the Bible and therefore I believe that every other “believe” is devilish misguidance. I believe that every sorrow derives from not devoting yourself enough to God’s will.

I believe the entire universe is divine, truly the body of divinity.

A nice term I heard to describe this is “cosmotheism”.

To put it in western terms, we (and even our excrement) are little blood cells running through the veins of god.

I believe in God and Jesus and can’t imagine my day without prayer. I don’t care about details or what happens after this life. I don’t care what other people believe in, but I care about other people and their beliefs. If that makes sense.

I believe … I just lost my key … to heaven’s gate :ohreally:

When heaven is symbolized by clouds … what happens with heaven on a cloudless day? :ponder: what can we believe?

I believe in following my own path, it’s long and sometimes hard but, ultimately it leads to constant discovery of oneself. You can have as many gods as you like, it’s fine with me.

The best expression of my belief is 是. It is a reminder to me that things and circumstances are the way they are because that is the way they are and that trying to devine some hidden meaning, reasoning, force or otherwise geting overly worked-up over why they are is an effort in futility. 是 is reality as it stands at this moment, time and place. I start with that. change will come But for RIGHT NOW 是.

I believe in doing what is good for you and for others, respect the elder, respect nature and animals. I believe that there’s not such a thing like a ‘God’ listening to us but a kind of energy and force that can be explained towards science that make keep things moving in a perfect balance.
I believe in my own strength, I believe that I can do whatever I want to if I keep working hard for my dreams.

I believe I’ll eventually find a cult which looks to be fun enough to make the effort to join, yet not require excessive work on my part or even actual belief.

I also, of course, believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

To believe is to put my trust in the person who tells me something. Belief is an attitude we all grew up with — we believed our parents, our friends, our teachers, the authors of the books we have read.

I believe in things that can be quantified, tested, and proven through the scientific method. If there is no evidence for something, it doesn’t exist.

I believe in putting all assertions to the test of the variational principle. In short, I want to see how much you can change a belief system without it falling apart, becoming inconsistent or clearly clashinh with what we can see and test. If only minimal (or negligible) changes are possible, that’s a strong indicator of being close to the truth.

The reason is simple enough. Why makes human as being human, if not, mere animal.

Christian scientists exert the “why” where they need, or in science fields,
and others use the “why” in different manner in different areas, like in religion field.

“why” is one of the most important thing we human being have.

The reason is simple enough. Why makes human as being human, if not, mere animal.

and others use the “why” in different manner in different areas, like in religion field.

“why” is one of the most important thing we human being have.[/quote]

Why?.

“why” is one of the most important thing we human being have.[/quote]

Why and how, I would say. Otherwise we’d have an half-assed sense of curiosity and no technology.