What do you put in your smoothie in Taiwan?

Recently moved to Taiwan and I was an avid green smoothie drinker back in Canada.

Problem is, I used to put frozen fruits, kale and spinach in my smoothies that I would buy from Costco. All of which is unavailable here (very limited selection of frozen fruits at a very high price).

Was wondering what other blending members were putting in their smoothies that would be more easily accessible in Taiwan.

Thanks!

Recently moved to Taiwan and I was an avid green smoothie drinker back in Canada.

Problem is, I used to put frozen fruits, kale and spinach in my smoothies that I would buy from Costco. All of which is unavailable here (very limited selection of frozen fruits at a very high price).

Was wondering what other blending members were putting in their smoothies that would be more easily accessible in Taiwan.

Thanks!

Fresh fruit from the market.

1 Like

Thanks!

dragon fruit would probably make an awesome smoothy.

2 Likes

Bananas and papayas freeze well (once peeled and chopped), and I use lots of those. I’ve also used dragon fruit but haven’t tried freezing it.

If you check out the different organic stores you can sometimes find deals on frozen blueberries, cranberries, and raspberries. Frozen blueberries are quite affordable at Costco.

I’ve never used green vegetables in smoothies, whether here or overseas, so I’m not sure which of those would work here.

Don’t have time to search, but this topic has been juiced before.

For the record, bananas. Don’t like papaya that much.
Keep meaning to try custard fruit.

A very high price compared to what? Those are the cheapest prices you’ll get in Taiwan. The fresh and frozen blueberries at Costco are super cheap. If you think that’s expensive please try Wellcome, Jason’s, City Super or anywhere else here.

FFS, go to a fruit shop and buy some fruit there, it’s not difficult!
Point and say A is for Apple.
O is for orange.
B is for banana.

I frequently make smoothies.

1/3 to 1/2 an apple or pear (used mango during the summer)
1/2 to 1 kiwi
1 small banana (a very important part)
3-4 frozen strawberries (from Costco)
a handful of frozen blueberries (Costco)

I also use water instead of juice, milk, soymilk or other sweetened liquids. The fruit has more than enough sugar.

there are many different types of greens available at the large markets at very good prices.

Dragon Fruit is the most disappointing fruit in Taiwan. I love the intense red color that it makes the smoothie but it doesn’t really add much to the smoothie.

I stopped making smoothies after watching Dr. Robert Lustig’s seminars on sugar.
I only eat the fibre in fruit and squeeze the juice down the drain unless I have some training that day.

Love!

My wang…

Winter time (right now) is spinach season, super cheap. Every morning starting 6am/7am old people will set up stands all over the place selling all kinds of fruits n veggies. Also mixed berry from costco is not too expensive… the only super expensive ones are frozen strawberries and organic wildberries or somethin.

So, you can make it work.

Also try those large green tough-skinned fruits. Kind of look like large green tennis balls I forgot what they’re called, but they’re awesome juiced/in smoothie

I’ll usually put milk, oats, bananas, flax or chia seeds, some other fruit and then blend it to a creamy consistency. Delicious.

Frozen bananas and berries, protein powder, coconut oil, wheat germ.

Ooh, avocado? I know that the Taiwanese like to make smoothies with the giant, football-sized ones that are available here, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I’ve never seen kale in the stores, but I have seen romaine hearts at Breeze Super on occasion.

The milk substitutes here are great in smoothies as well (soy, brown/white rice, oat, etc). Just be sure to look for the unsweetened varieties. I think I need a Costco card.

You can get them in any traditional market and probably every supermarket in the country.

Just ordered a 南瓜 pumpkin shake at lunch today and it was amazingly good.
I was expecting something slightly revolting, and got completely the opposite :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

i need to check out those berries from costco. i found some in wellcome yesterday, i was pretty happy about that although not cheap. what does the taiwanese spinach look like? sometimes jasons have spinach imported from australia. again, expensive.

i’ve just cottoned on to freezing fruit. this is a pretty good idea here. banana is great, watermelon is good too as you can get those humongous ones and have a supply for a long time. i also concur about the dragon fruit smoothie. its much better to just eat it normally. probably my favourite fruit.

hahahah… i put frozen berries, a banana, peanut butter, an egg, milk and frozen fruit puree and a touch of coffee… i know it sound disgusting but it does taste super good.

ps: i was a pastry chef for 10+ years and had a pastry business here in taipei.

for the frozen berries = many suppliers of pastry ingredients will provide u the packs of 1 or 2 kgs ( at a very very competitive prices) - best ones are the mixed berries but u can get only raspberries or blueberries

• frozen puree = 1kg =around 1000 nt$ ( not talking about juice or concentrate, but 100% fruit puree so if u never used that u should try - they have generally @ les vergers de boirons@ or @ capfruits@ – comes with or without additional sugar.
    that is the secret for all ice cream makers, mousse, jelly etc…

if u are preparing like 1L of smoothie, 100 gr of fruit puree is enough.

all products above are imported from france

bon appetit

1 Like

hey brobronek thanks for the information!

in regards to pastry suppliers that can provide frozen berries, any specific recommendations?

For frozen puree: @les vergers de boirons or @capfruits, these are stores in Taipei? Or Brand Names?

brands of fruit puree…
can ask my wife tonight about the address where u can get it.
I just cant remember street names etc…