What do you really wish they sold at the morning and night markets?

What do you really wish they sold at the morning and night markets? 1,2,3, go!

Six packs of Pabst Blue Ribbon and Beer Nuts.

1 Like

tacos, really good tacos

6 Likes

Unfortunately, my request was much more realistic than yours. :sunglasses:

what is a ‘beer nut’?

It the nut they make beer out of clearly :joy:

it’s just like peanuts and other nuts they have at bars for people to snack on when drinking

Good cocktails would be nice.

falafel

1 Like

Muscheln und punsch

Sandwiches with real bread that isn’t sweet and Western-style cured meat. Not that I’m a big Subway fan in the US, but the meat that they use here at Subway is really strange.
A Philly cheesesteak or an Italian sausage sandwich with peppers and onions would be nice, too.
I really like the Commune catty-cornered from the 101 tower for this reason. No stinky tofu smell there and good craft beers.

2 Likes

Real satay.

1 Like

April 7. Go to Crafted Beer & Co. 精釀啤酒屋.
台北市中山區玉門街1號

Latin food Fridays with tacos by Luca Casares.

Try also the arepas by Mecato Colombia 哥倫比亞小吃在台灣

You’re welcome. No hay por donde.

4 Likes

A brand of salted peanuts. They go real nice with beer.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember them from when I was a kid.
They’re kind of half salty half sweet.
Friggin awesome.

So that’s in Yuanshan Park, across from Yuanshan MRT station in a place called Maji Maji? Wow, never knew that existed. Thanks!

I logged in just to like this post (particularly the PBR; my crew prefers the 12-pack for $6.99).

Years ago, there used to be a vendor in the Tonghua Street market that sold legitimate hot dogs (there was a thread about it - don’t start arguing about snappers vs. franks, please). I miss that.

Any kind of decent Mexican food would be nice, but it’s never going to happen here. A now-defunct bar used to have Latin Night and they served up some decent South American fare (prepared by a cat from South America, go figure).

Otherwise, I can’t think of anything else I want to see down there. More hookers and gangsters chewing betel nut? Can never get enough of them.

The wet (day) market is fuckin’ savage. Large chunks of freshly butchered livestock hanging from hooks in the open air for hours on end. What could go wrong? I think they ought to introduce cock fighting into the mix. Every so often I go down there for the spectacle and I’m constantly amazed by the number of shirtless, zero body fat, 50-year-old guava vendors. They look like bantamweights. I can’t help thinking, “Man, we should slap a some gloves on a couple of these cats and put 'em in a ring.” It’s fuckin’ 12 degrees outside, I’m wrapped up like Nanook of the North, and there’s three cats down on Tonghua walkin’ around in nothing but a pair of blue jeans and lanbai slippers.

One thing I might like to see is some kind of dedicated live performance area in all night markets. I know they’ll just turn it into a fuckin’ Karaoke Bloodbath, but it would be nice to see some entertainment down there that doesn’t include haggling over the price of a faux leather belt.

Now that I think of it, I wish they sold those giant “number one” foam hands so I had a visual prop when I’m walking around all day saying, “Taiwan, number one! China, number four!”

2 Likes

[quote=“super_lucky, post:16, topic:158906, full:true”]
The wet (day) market is fuckin’ savage. Large chunks of freshly butchered livestock hanging from hooks in the open air for hours on end. What could go wrong? I think they ought to introduce cock fighting into the mix. [/quote]

The day markets are much tamer now.
Back when, the chicken dude would let you make your choice from the cage and he’d zotz and clean the lucky yardbird While U Waited.
Speaking of which, there used be a bepermed cat at the Tunghua Day Market who slammed out the very very best Fried Bird I’ve ever tasted, any friggin where.
People would line up, tongs in hand, and wait for him dump a fresh fryer load and they’d go berserk.

1 Like

I would’ve asked for Oly, but it’s just not the same since they moved production from Tumwater to a MillerCoors plant in southern California. Like they say, “It’s the Water.”

Ah, you’ve regaled me with this tale on at least one occasion, but it put a smile on my face to hear this classic jam. Tappin’ my toes, thinkin’ bout some bird.

From the land of sky blue waters (waters)
From the land of pines, lofty balsams
Comes the beer refreshing
Hamm’s, the beer refreshing
Brewed where nature works her wonders
Aged for many moons, gently mellowed
Hamm’s the beer refreshing
Hamm’s the beer refreshing
Hamm’s