What exactly is overseas chinese?

I’m looking to avoid conscription by simply avoiding taiwan altogether or only going there once in a while.
I have been living in China for about 12 years and I own a 台胞证(don’t know what it’s called in english).
What exactly is “overseas chinese” status? Would I qualify, or count for/as one? If I don’t, how would I qualify?

It’s a stamp in your green passport that says you live or are from overseas (not Taiwan). I’m not exactly sure how they assess qualification so you’re best bet is to visit the TECO office in Hong Kong? I’m guessing that’s the closest office to you. Best to get your info straight from them.

[quote=“Acsvf”]I’m looking to avoid conscription by simply avoiding taiwan altogether or only going there once in a while.
I have been living in China for about 12 years and I own a 台胞证(don’t know what it’s called in english).
What exactly is “overseas chinese” status? Would I qualify, or count for/as one? If I don’t, how would I qualify?[/quote]

[quote]http://www.ocac.gov.tw/OCAC/FAQ/List.aspx?nodeid=384#
「在國外累計居住滿4年」,是以申請人在臺灣地區、大陸地區、香港及澳門地區以外之國家或地區,居住累計滿1460日為準[/quote]

According to the OCAC, living in China, Hong Kong, and Macau doesn’t count as being overseas. So you are not going to get an expat status by being in China.

Maybe there are some other convoluted loopholes for Taiwanese living in China that’s different from the standard expatriate route. But that’s as much research as I’m going to look into that. I look forward to the day when being in China is considered as being overseas for every Taiwanese citizen.

hi, been reading and checking a lot of forums. my friend likes to apply as for an ID. he’s currently holding a TARC, the immigration told him that, he only need to stay and reside in taiwan for 1year straight not leaving taiwan even for 1 day.
after that he can apply for the taiwan ID.
but he’s still on his early 30’s, based from the law,if you’ve reached 36years old above, your exempted from the military.
how to avoid being drafted in the military?
another option is, he just need to continue renewing his TARC until he reached 36, but it will take a long time to do that right?

[quote=“icha”]hi, been reading and checking a lot of forums. my friend likes to apply as for an ID. he’s currently holding a TARC, the immigration told him that, he only need to stay and reside in taiwan for 1year straight not leaving taiwan even for 1 day.
after that he can apply for the taiwan ID.
but he’s still on his early 30’s, based from the law,if you’ve reached 36years old above, your exempted from the military.
how to avoid being drafted in the military?
another option is, he just need to continue renewing his TARC until he reached 36, but it will take a long time to do that right?[/quote]

That’s still 5 years away from being exempted. One way to do it is get an PhD, and you get exempted for being in school. By the time your friend finishes or gives up, given that he passed the qualifiers after year 2, hopefully he’d be 36 and will no longer have to serve. Otherwise don’t get an ID until 36 if he really doesn’t want to serve.

somebody tells me that he can still get an ID. after receiving the ID,all he need to do is stay in taiwan,before 183days,he must exit, so the immigration cant track him and can be avoided from the military.is this true?

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Acsvf”]I’m looking to avoid conscription by simply avoiding taiwan altogether or only going there once in a while.
What exactly is “overseas chinese” status? Would I qualify, or count for/as one? If I don’t, how would I qualify?[/quote]

[quote]http://www.ocac.gov.tw/OCAC/FAQ/List.aspx?nodeid=384#
「在國外累計居住滿4年」,是以申請人在臺灣地區、大陸地區、香港及澳門地區以外之國家或地區,居住累計滿1460日為準[/quote]

According to the OCAC, living in China, Hong Kong, and Macau doesn’t count as being overseas. So you are not going to get an expat status by being in China.

Maybe there are some other convoluted loopholes for Taiwanese living in China that’s different from the standard expatriate route. But that’s as much research as I’m going to look into that. I look forward to the day when being in China is considered as being overseas for every Taiwanese citizen.[/quote]
that makes sense.
Though, are there any repercussions to avoiding going to Taiwan altogether?

[quote=“Acsvf”]

Though, are there any repercussions to avoiding going to Taiwan altogether?[/quote]

Aside from not being able to visit people in Taiwan, no. You can stay away until you are 36, and they will no longer be able to draft you into service.