What is a reasonable price for a 2nd hand piano?

I am thinking of buying a piano for my kids. There is a year end sale at a Yamaha center in downtown Taipei (right by the Howard Plaza), and before I proceed, I would like to check what is a reasonable price range.

I am looking at upright pianos in very good condition that were made in the 80’s. They cost around NT$ 75,000 to 90,000 and are Yamaha pianos made in Taiwan. There are also Japan made Yamahas from the same time that cost a bit more NT$ 80,000 to 110,000 – but I can’t really hear the difference.

The pianos come with one tuning. After the piano is installed (presumably there are no shipping and installation costs), a tuning will cost NT$ 1,300 per visit, and the sales manager says you should not have to tune your piano more than once or twice a year.

vThe pianos I was shown were apparently most recently used in their school, and they are upgrading their equipment.

Are these prices outrageous? Is there another source I should check? I did a quick search on Ruten for “Piano” and 鋼琴 and did not come up with much. The following link seems to show pianos at half the price I am looking at:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21704180345320

I will just say that Yamaha’s seem to be the brand that is desired the most here for kids. We sold our old Yamaha in the US before coming to Taiwan for about US$2,000, if that gives you any kind of idea. It was about 30 years old.

1 Like

35,000 for a good quality Yamaha sounds way too cheap. 75,000 sounds reasonable. Yamaha make good pianos, make no mistake, especially for learners.

I’d tune more frequently than once or twice a year, humidity wreaks havoc with pianos here.

1 Like