What is the price of heating/cooking gas?

We moving to Taiwan.
So I am a newbie. I assume majority of Taiwan households using gas for cooking and heating water (I guess no one using gas heating of house/apartment). What is a price of gas? Does taiwanese who lives in private houses use any other type of fuel for water heating like wood pellets, coal, wood, for example?

Thank you.

New buildings have gas lines, so you pay what you use, every two months. Old buildings donā€™t so each person must call and order gas tanks, which go for like 600-700 nts a big one.

Electric heaters are the most popular in winter for the locals. Solar power is becominbg trendy for heating water.

For cooking from what I hear the 6-700 nt gas can lasts like two months of daily cooking, longer if you donā€™t cook much. Most people use gas in Taiwan for any sort of heating since it is cheaper than using electricity.

If you end up in a tiny place without a kitchen, then you might have an electrical water heater, but otherwise itā€™s all gas.
We spend about NT$300-400 a month and thatā€™s for cooking at least every other day and hot water.
And no, heating doesnā€™t come as standard here, but you can get AC units that also works as heaters, which is a great thing to have this time of the year.

I live in the south (Tainan county) and pay about NT$500 for a tank of gas that usually lasts about 6 weeks with 4 of us in the apartment and cooking almost every day.

760NT$ paid last week for a ā€˜largeā€™ which is household large, industrial large is huge ā€¦

You can buy charcoal and a burner at most hardware stores ā€¦ no, I donā€™t mean a BBQ grill ā€¦ a real charcoal burner, people still use it.

Never seen pellets in any form for heating or cooking, except in dog food form ā€¦

wow! that is really amazing, so cheap. I wonder, even Taiwan is island and has no natural gas recourses and has to buy it abroad. Why we in US paying arm and leg for gas even there are plenty of gas up North; Alaska, etc. And Taiwanese paying just a fracture of what we paying. And it even maybe cheaper as I read Taiwan government moving toward removing CPC monopoly.

I donā€™t think LNG and Oil are the same thing?

LNG = Liquefied natural gas

How does one read the heating/cooking gas gauge?
The gauge I bought numbers from 0 to 10. I assumed 0 means itā€™s empty, and 10 means itā€™s full. However, today I called for gas and the one gauge only read 4.5 and the other tank 5 when I got the new bottles. What is the gauge supposed to read if the bottle is full? Itā€™s the big bottles.
Thank you!

I canā€™t answer your question directily but, if it were me, I would use one bottle until it depletes. Start on the 2d tank and call the number on the bottle to order a second. I used to have to do this and delivery time was usually within 24 hours. Usually faster. When I lived in the countryside, I had all heating, cooking, water heating, with gas. I was careful about it and ordered whenever I thought it might be a problem. Count on about 450NT per delivery for a large bottle and count on it lasting a conservative couple, but no more than 4 weeks
I was single in a small apartment and had an electric water heater. Still more than 400NT per month
If I had to do it again, I would buy a "monkey wrench) (adjustible spanner) and have an extra bottle standying at the ready and as soon as I connected the last bottle, I would call. All in all expect 600NT per month for an average size house with cooking and water heating. Price . . . See above.

400NT$? yeah, in 2001 ā€¦ now itā€™s over 720NT$ in Sanxia ā€¦ delivered within 20 minutes after your call ā€¦ we used to have two tanks, but no place now, so we do with one ā€¦ once in a while I finish showering with cold water, as there is no gauge on the tank therefor no control, the only thing that can be done is lift it and guess ā€¦

A PIA, the landlord refuses to switch to piped gas ā€¦ the pipe is running until our balcony ā€¦

Twonavels, is there an adjusting valve/screw on the gauge, or is just a gauge.
If there is a valve/screw you can set the pressure that actually goes out to gauge, letā€™s say both to 5 or so, than through the the pressure reducer/regulator ā€¦

Anyone else notice a big jump in cooking gas prices? I just paid NT$865 for a bottle of the stuff.

I just paid 925!

Danshui - Guandu = 870 ! :fume:

Is that for a 20liter bottle?

And another hike in gas prices, so donā€™t be shocked when the bimonthly bill comes/you order your next tank: 40nts per liter now.

And it will keep on risingā€¦

[quote=ā€œIconā€]And another hike in gas prices, so donā€™t be shocked when the bimonthly bill comes/you order your next tank: 40nts per liter now.

And it will keep on risingā€¦[/quote]

Is NT$40/kg the wholesale price? Where did that figure come from?

[quote=ā€œmonkeyā€][quote=ā€œIconā€]And another hike in gas prices, so donā€™t be shocked when the bimonthly bill comes/you order your next tank: 40nts per liter now.

And it will keep on risingā€¦[/quote]

Is NT$40/kg the wholesale price? Where did that figure come from?[/quote]

From TV news. ETTV and CTI to be precise. However, there is a newspiece from taiwan News that give s amore, ehem, worrisome figure:

[quote]Legislators on Friday called on the government to pay more attention to the rapidly rising prices for food and energy.
The state-run CPC Corporation, Taiwan announced that the prices of bottled gas and natural gas for consumers would rise on Friday.

The latest energy price hikes follow a report by the Consumers Foundation revealing that several key products recorded steep price increases between January 2010 and December 2011. The price of instant noodles went up by 16 percent during that period, eggs by 8.44 percent, flour by 6.33 percent, vegetable oils by 6.08 percent and hair shampoo by 5.89 percent, the foundation said.

Opposition Democratic Progressive Party lawmaker Chen Ou-po said that[color=#FF0040] before the January 14 elections, gas prices had been frozen, but in the two months since the election they rose by NT$74 (US$2.51[/color]). Salad oil, instant noodles and eggs had also become more expensive while many people had not seen wage hikes and young people only made about NT$22,000 (US$747) to NT$25,000 (US$849) a month, Chen said.

[/quote]
taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c ā€¦ id=1857217

There is also this piece from early February in the China Post:

[quote]Starting Thursday, the cost of domestic liquefied petroleum gas is up by NT$1.7 per kg, while natural gas is an additional NT$0.48 per cubic meter.

In addition, industrial-grade propane, butane, and propane-butane mix each rise NT$1.7.

LPG for vehicles is set to increase by NT$0.9 per liter.

LPG contract price shot up in Feb. to a new record high of US$1,025 per metric ton, an increase of US$145 since Jan, said the CPC.

CPC continued that the cost of natural gas is set to rise a whopping 16.09 percent in February, according to government-set formulas.
[/quote]