What is the rental market like in Kaohsiung?

looking-to-rent

Is it a renters, or landlord market? Current conditions.

Kaohsiung is always a renters’ market compared to Taipei.
Then again, since housing is so cheap in Kaohsiung, the rental return rate (versus what the buyer paid for the place) is much better than Taipei. So, it’s almost like both sides win out in this game.

What kind of research have you done yet?
Have you looked around at all or just want others to do your legwork? :slight_smile:

Thanks

I have been looking at 591 for the last two months, I was just curious as to what residents living there thought? I am possibly moving to the area for 12 months of study, come mid-year.

On another note, any recommendations for outer suburbs that are on a KMT line?

Regards

Before finding our place, I asked some local friends who live in Kaohsiung what areas to look for.
The general consensus by locals was (in no particular order) by the Museum of Fine Arts, Zuoying, 農十六 (near the museum), and maybe around Chengcing Lake or way out east by E-Da (the university and amusement place).
One cool place to think about if you want to be really downtown and sort of near NSYSU and the harbor is around Takao Railway Museum and Sizihwan station. There’s the light-rail that runs from there to Dream Mall (with the ferris wheel). As for the suburbs, you can always go to the farthest KMRT station to the north and be as close to Tainan City as possible, then you can pick between Tainan and Kaohsiung whenever you want to “go visit the city”.

What school will you study at?

Either NUK or TLI, I want to continue studying Mandarin. I will probably go with TLI as they are more flexible. I have asked advice about this on another thread, and most people suggested one on one tutoring, and TLI offers both.

Thanks for the advice on suburbs, I will have a look at the places you mentioned.

Regards

Before I moved to Kaohsiung, I looked around on 591, too. Prices were definitely higher there. It’s best to choose your neighborhood and then look for signs, which are posted on banners on the buildings themselves outside the apartment for rent at whatever level - look up! I got a 3-bedroom, two-bath with two balconies and the roof for $10,000 a month using this method. Hell, yeah.

Thanks

I think that is definitely worth a try.

Walking, or use a scooter/bike to look for rent signs, lots of empty homes not listed on web sites. Many places been empty for a long time ( years), if you have time you find a nice gem within the central areas. I would not live so far away (I can now walk to my office) as the price difference (less than US$100 mo) is not the extra travel times in my mind. Lots of new homes are being built, than means older homes become vacant as the population is not going up ( at this point starting to go down).

Is there normally a number listed on the rent signs, or is there another way of contacting the owner?

If there are guards, they might know.

There is almost always a phone number on the sign.

Thanks