What is this anti-flying nonsense?

The BBC is whingeing on about people flying. The premise is that, basically, people shouldn’t fly because it’s “bad for the environment”.

WTF? Seriously. What have they been smoking? How did this get on the air? Have they gone completely mad?

Really, what does it mean? Assuming it means anything, of course. We are supposed to travel by what, exactly? So instead of paying 1,000 quid to go home by plane, I, what, walk to Hong Kong and then take the QE2 to S’hampton (about 7,000 quid), then er the train to Wales and then the ferry… and so on…

Who watches this bollocks? Who is it for? Do people actually watch this and think “yes, what a jolly good idea it would be if no-one flew anywhere anymore!”

Believe you me, I am totally willing to return home for Christmas on the QE2 and the Orient Express rather than on Virgin Atlantic Airways! So which tree hugger is going to give me the extra £11,000 it will cost?

And I have a new respect for Simon Callow who goes on a private plane so he can smoke.

(Now they are having a go at movie stars and so on for owning private jets. In Ireland we call this begrudgery.)

Now we have some sincere-looking fop telling us that airlines are reducing the size of their spoons as a response to climate change. Yeah right. Not to save money then. By the way the smoking ban on planes saves them a fortune in reduced drag from lower rates of air recycling.

But this BBC World programme is mindboggling. I think they are saying that basically we should go back to the 19th Century in terms of travel. Remember how clean the air was in the 19th Century?

Well, I’m off to write fan letters to Simon Callow and Tom Cruise (he has three jets and the Eco-nuts call him “Emission Impossible” - I would sue for libel there, ahem, but anyway) and create some carbon.

Why doesn’t the BBC stick to radio? It was good at that.

Work local, buy local, travel local, breed local, eat local … that’s the way to go … booh on globalisme

…well siad…

Travelling is boring.

So how long is it by horse and carriage from UK to Taiwan these days?

It’s about short-haul flights and the amount of fuel required.

Since high speed rail came in the three airlines that had been flying Taipei-Taichung have decided to quit servicing the route. Environmentally, that’s great news. Add a few more trains and start taking half-empty, one-wheel-in-the-grave buses off of the freeway. People get where they’re going just about as fast, for about the same price, at a significantly lower cost to the environment.

As for long-haul flights, if business can be taken care of via video conferencing, great.

What’s there to get all worked up about in that?

I’m offering a 10% discount on carbon credits this month.

Taiwan should open up the skies and allow flying directly to China, would save a lot in fuel and carbon output …

[quote=“almas john”]I’m offering a 10% discount on carbon credits this month.[/quote]I’m gonna blow the doors out and offer 12% discounts on credits with a [color=green]FREE Taiwan Beer[/color] cozy thrown in…offer good thru the end of April…*

Operators are waiting…[i]CALL NOW![/i]

(*special limited to 1st 3 people calling, offer not good on odd #'ed days or tuesdays, thursdays, saturdays, sundays or holy days of religions to be specified, must be 55 yrs of age with signed parental consent form, must wear blue socks, restricted to travel to ro from the Marianas Islands, discount given in carbon credits affiliated with American Tobacco Company and its affiliates)

Nice try Cowboy, but my carbon credits are Free Trade certified and Al Gore approved. And, I’m actually in talks with Jimmy Carter at the moment about putting solar panels on his Habitat for Humanity houses.

Hmmm…did you say…algore?

What’s going on? AJ, are you ok? There’s no mention of beer in this post, anywhere. The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

cfimages wrote:

Don’t worry Bro. :laughing: I’ve been on the turps since early afternoon and all is well. I’m drinking Taiwan Beer as it has a much smaller Carbon Footprint than imported beers. I support Eco-drinking.