What is working in a buxiban or local school really like?

Those who work outside the staffing structure of private schools of various levels [primary to high school] (not including teachers who only perform teaching work) are subject to the Labor Standards Act from 2014-08-01.

The MOL explains it in English here:

1 Like

Thanks for the English version.

Work for a public school instead of a buxiban, it is a lot better.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I can stick it out there for another year. It’s not an ideal situation, but it is a relatively well paying job and most of the people are decent and I like the students. Professionally speaking, it would be better to stay. Possibly financially speaking too.

It’s just more of a life work balance thing. Waking up at 6am and then getting home at 6pm, it doesn’t leave time for much. But plenty of people in this country are in the same boat so I guess I just have to manage my time better.

I wrote this at one of those moments when you had a shit day and you question your desire to do the job. I liked the quote someone posted that ‘everyone complains about their job’.

Thanks for the input. At the very least it was eye opening as the only people I know who work in buxibans are Taiwanese and their conditions and pay are quite different to the foreign teachers.