What is it actually like to become Taiwanese?

It seems like there are some misconceptions about what it is actually like to become a Taiwanese.

Many (but not all) of foreigners in Taiwan seem to have the perception of “once a foreigner always a foreigner.” For those of us who have finished the whole process to become Taiwanese know that this is not true.

Taiwan is very welcoming to those who have become a Taiwanese. In fact they are often humbled by the fact that I have renounced and then amused when I tell them of how quickly I could resume my Australian citizenship.

At my work, all of my coworkers talk to me and treat me as if I am a Taiwanese and not a foreigner. Those who don’t know simply by the way I look are simply reminded.

As for the old adage that many foreigners have of kids calling you a waigoren on the street… No this doesn’t make me feel like a non-Taiwanese or have a spout of depression or anger (as some have said before). In fact it makes me grateful of the fact that I am one of a few non Han Chinese people who have finished the process and become a Taiwanese.

11 Likes

Well. I haven’t done the process yet, but I’ve seen you go through the process and since attaining your Taiwaneseness, you’ve started chewing binlang and driving blue trucks erratically.

Real witness here.

21 Likes

What’s the issue?

2 Likes

I’m not surprised; I had many conversations over the years with locals expressing surprise that I didn’t have a shenfenzhen and that it was problematic to become a citizen as an American.

11 Likes

Same thing with me. They’re like, you didn’t get a Shenfenzheng?

But then I wonder if they even tie the Shenfenzheng with the notion of Taiwaneseness at all.

12 Likes

I think that’s it. They just think household registration is a thing everyone has. It’s just one of those “obvious” facts of life that it turns out is not so obvious.

I’ve had a lot of people respond with a bit of surprise that it’s impossible for me to get HHR here without becoming a citizen first, and then it finally dawns on them why it’s a problem that so many trivial things are tied to HHR.

Taiwan needs to follow Japan’s initiative here and open up household registration for foreigners…. but I guess then the government needs to come up with a new way to separate “Taiwan Area” citizens from all the “Mainland Area” and overseas nationals.

10 Likes

I’m wearing blue sandals but I don’t smoke and I don’t chew betel nuts.

I never chose to be taiwanese, I would have been happy being American.

1 Like

or, crazy thought, just get rid of the stupid thing.

7 Likes

Secret handshake?

I seriously dont know what you are on about.
How do they treat you like you are Taiwanese? How is it different to how they treated you before?

4 Likes

Household registration basically makes you a citizen. It’s like asking the US to allow foreigners to vote or serve in juries.

New Zealand allows permanent resident foreigners the right to vote. Singapore requires kids of PR to join military so not entirely crazy.

3 Likes

As in I am no longer constantly asked questions like “do you like stinky tofu?” Or asked “did you try the night market?” Now it is mostly non existent and if someone does try to ask it I would have someone butt in and inform them that I am actually a Taiwanese.

4 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Random USA comparisons

In my experience, people don’t ask those types of questions based on whether you’re a citizen. They base it on how long you’ve lived in Taiwan.

I’m a Taiwanese citizen, but I still get asked those types of questions by friends who know I’ve only lived here for a couple of years.

11 Likes

56 posts were split to a new topic: Is ‘Taiwanese’ a demonym?

My eyes and hair became black. I shrunk by a few inches. My skin darkened to caramel. I now find myself riding my scooter down Miaoli City with a cigarette in one hand and Binlang in my mouth. I lost the ability to speak English and can now only read and write. My mother is about to move in so I can fund her retirement while I work minimum wage. I find myself becoming obsessed with the US and think the US is the highest standard of a country.

I am unrecognisable to people who knew me before I became Taiwanese

14 Likes

Do you like stinky tofu?

1 Like

I do actually :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I like the smell, but it tastes crap.

3 Likes

I’m taking the u bus to airport to leave Taiwan tonight. I have not been on a local bus for decades. At the bus depo no one speaks English.

2 Likes