What Movies Are You Watching? —2017—

Good morning.

In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind – that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution – but from annihilation.

We’re fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We’re going to live on!

We’re going to survive!"

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

Spider-Man: Wasn’t it funny, fun, AWESOME? :+1::ok_hand::sparkles: :spider::spider::spider:

1 Like

Good sweet mercey. this is one ofthsoe things that should have stayed in the planning stage or SciFy channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOlYPSEzSc

I thought it was White House down 3 or whatever he is in. And it has Daniel Wu, for Bruce Lee’s sake. :sob:

Let me just preface that I did not click on/watch this trailer - my time is worth literal money. However, if it’s anything like the version they showed ahead of Spider-Man: Homecoming, I can understand your frustration and concur.

Don’t touch with a ten foot pole - trust your gut.

Wife saw Spider-Man I saw The House instead

The House was adult comedy
Corny but watchable
If you have to see a movie and there really is nothing else it will do

This is totally something I would watch…looks like good, trashy fun. A cheesy sci-fi flick with Gerard Butler sounds like the perfect antidote after seeing too many stuffy art-house pictures. Definitely going on my watch list. :sunglasses:

Ok, I am OK with a summer blockbuster. But it has been way too many films made with lots of Chinese money spent on special effects and making nonsense. And this particular plot has been played at least a thousand tinmes on tv SciFy cghannel. On tv is entertaining enough.

Fun? Nope. Quirky? Nope. Memorable fun scenes, a la rolling stone in Indiana Jones? Nope.

Fantasy is cool, but seriously, it still needs some substance. Right now, it is all smoke and flash in the pan action. Nothing new that would me me glad to depart from 200 ntd plus popcorn.

That we agree on. I wouldn’t pay first-run ticket price to see it for sure. But as part of a second-run double feature I wouldn’t turn it down.

I can count with one hand the number of movies I did not or could not see on the big screen and when I saw on tv -cable!- I was like, oh, aww that would have been a great movie experience.

So far, no regrets for a couple of years or so.

I have discount VIP membership in a couple of cinemas here. And credit card perks. I have seen 5 movies this year at the theaters. If we count one twice.

I know what you mean. I get tickets as perks sometimes, and I’m always thinking, “What should I see that really needs to be seen on the big screen?” Sometimes having the big-screen experience really makes a difference. Other times…not so much.

I can’t believe none of you have watched Spidey yet. It’s so FUN.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was thoroughly enjoyable. The trailer gave away a lot of the story, but leaves enough out that I don’t think it’s a problem. There are so many laughs but some fairly tense moments too. Very good balance of comedy and action (but no tears). I think it’s very true to the spirit of the comics, which is fun, and there are little easter eggs throughout - even a vague Miles Morales reference.

If you’re not into comic book movies, best to give it a miss. Otherwise it definitely lives up to the hype.

Wasn’t it? Our theater constantly burst out in laughter during the show.

Vulture was a very good villain. Not Loki level, but great.

I saw the twist coming, though (if you can call it that). Anyone else?

Yeah, by the way he said it he likely hasn’t seen 6 after all.

I didn’t see the twist coming but I didn’t really think there’d be a twist either. I’m usually good at spotting them a mile off too. I was just too caught up in the movie to even think about it.

One other thing: Zendaya (as “Michelle”) was a revelation in this movie. I was only vaguely aware of who she was before seeing Spider-Man: Homecoming, but she is hilarious. Some of the lines she was given wouldn’t work if they were given to another actress. She knocked them out of the park every time. Her “you guys are losers” line from the trailer is probably her least funny moment in the whole movie.

The press made a big deal out of her casting so I knew, and was surprised in her relatively minor role in this one. Great set up for sequel though.

Not that I anticipated the twist super soon or anything, but somehow I just knew when he went up those steps, what happened would happen.

Probably because of the run time though. Generally at this point in movies, things should take a sharp turn. That twist was the most logical and easy path they could take.

Dunkirk = Remarkable. So measured. So simple. So grand.

Go see it, thank me later.

Baby Driver. The girl is super cute
Reminds me of the coworker in taiwan way back when I should have chased

I saw “The Guardians” yesterday. I guess it’s Russia’s answer to “The Avengers”, but with none of the MCU’s trademark wit. To give you some idea of the tone, one of the characters has the head of a bear, and carries a machine gun. The version I saw was dubbed into English (I doubt this affected the quality of the acting), and subtitled into Chinese. I think it must have been written by a 15-year-old boy. It really needs the MST3K treatment. But I kind of figured it would be like that going in.

For some reason, this was shown as a double feature with Baby Boss, which I saw the last 10 minutes of. It was as God-awful as the commercials made it look, but the ending (i.e. the part that I saw) made me wonder if rather than the “Baby Boss” going away / getting promoted, and having his minions wipe out all memories of him, the story should be interpreted as an older child’s impression of a real baby dying (there are scenes of toys etc. being removed), and then his parents have another baby. Anyway, that’s going to be my head-canon from now on. Not to be confused with the head-cannon wielded by the bear-guy (his name was Ursus) from “Guardians.”

The Boss Baby gives you the impression majority of the story is in the older kid’s imagination, although it does leave you with much room for interpretation. Dead baby is one way to go, sure. It wasn’t a terrible movie really, it had a few good laughs. You just can’t expect much from a movie aimed at 2 year olds (and my 2 year old absolutely loves it).