What Movies Are You Watching? —2017—

Two hours of Gal Gadot? Yes please.

Don’t need to tell me twice, but gotta wait another full week.

I’m also thinking about seeing Baywatch. Dwayne Johnson as producer sure as hell going to bring in an entertaining movie, but not sure if it’s worth seeing on the big screen.

1 Like

Yep, word on the street is that it is good, which is quite fine as at the beginning there was a lot of bad press, from selecting Godot to the script to well, almost everything. So, yes, much relief indeed.

The actor/producer/director is awesome. Loved 3 Idiots and PK. He always does movies that are truly educational.

@ranlee @Icon

Totally, it’s like a nice blend between the god-among-humans/fish-out-of-water 2011 Thor and the (historical) world war hero of Captain America: The First Avenger.

Don’t know if you guys are film score fans, but if you’ve seen Batman v Superman: How great was Wonder Woman’s theme song? My buddy who knows the composers for the DC films tells me apparently those high-octane, electric notes aren’t produced by electric guitars. They’re from highly distorted cello (check it out below and get pumped!). Anyway, they really took the motif and knocked it out of the park with the WW solo film - So. Freakin. Epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S176AKQhcCk

Side note, I guess this nugget of casting news somehow just flew past me, but I had no idea the actor for Professor Lupin was in WW. It was weird to see his face outside of the Harry Potter world, but he did a great job and for a second I forgot he was a magical wizard-werewolf.

Chris Pine was also very good in it as our window to the mythical world.

When y’all see it - Remember to lmk what you think!

Yeah, I think I’m likely going to see Baywatch, just unsure if it’ll be in the theaters or netflix.

Her grand entrance in BvS with that theme song made me nerdgasm. I can’t wait for that moment in WW.

I have highly discounted tickets to the movies for 2017 due to the bank having an offer with the theater. I guess if the gf wants to see it, we’ll go see it.

Straying into TV: David Thewlis is so far the main villain in Season 3 of Fargo, and he’s doing a fantastic job. And even though I know it’s the same actor as Lupin, I have real trouble seeing the resemblance - he’s using prosthetic teeth that make Shane MacGowan’s smile look shiny and white.

Back into movies: I first saw Thewlis over twenty years ago in Naked, a movie that I know was very, very dark, and that I absolutely loved at the time. From what I recall, it’s basically Thewlis strolling / striding / stumbling through the city at night, ranting and pretty much destroying the faith in humanity of anyone he encounters. But that was also at a time in my life when my taste ran darker, so I’m not sure how much I’d like it now.

It felt really “old style”, but in a refreshing way. By “old style” I mean that when I was a kid it was very common to find movies that were a mix of coming-to-age and action/sport, with a strong emphasys over work/training ethic to achieve your goals and an enemy/opponent who was often portrayed excessively evil just for the movie’s sake.

If the same identical movie had a white cast, there would probably be people crying about white supremacy nationalism fascism etc etc. Glad it was set in India so no one can complain about it and the movie can collect quite a bit of success.

My wife cried so much every now and then >_>

If you have discounted tix, do it, man. Why not? Lol I bet there’ll be lots of slo-mo running shots, and with those busty women and men… :wink:.

I totally don’t want to spoil anything for you. Let’s discuss some more after you’ve watched Wonder Woman.

Re: Fargo, My sister told me about it. She likes it, but thinks 3 is the weakest season so far. I’m keen to check it out, as I’m a fan of Ewan McGregor.

I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I’m looking forward to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDscTTE-P-k

Yep. I mean, aside from cashing on the recycling, I liked the ending as it was. Close the story. Do a prequel as it is fashionable. Kids today have no idea who the heck Harrison Ford is and he is just a hook to hand in the batoon to Gosling… who by today’s standards will also be replaced soon by some 13 year old.

I think Gosling has a hard-boiled quality that makes him suited to the role, and I’m sure the visuals will be stunning. I’m more worried about the screenplay, which is where most reboots seem to fail.

FYI:

That’s really quite a tragedy.

7 kids AND step kids, that’s quite a lot of kids. I fully understand his move.

Not sure how the DC and Marvel fanboys/fangirls will think of the head of the DC universe stepping down and making way for the head of the MCU to come in direct a few scenes though.

Yes, one can imagine how much that must hurt. Condolences to his family.

Actually Joss Whedon has joined Team DC since he sold a Batgirl script to Warner Bros a short while ago, one which he will also direct for.

I still remember chatting to you about the immense pressure he was under for Age of Ultron from the studio and from fans and that was oneo f the reasons why he wasn’t returning for Infinity War.

Bong Joon Ho’s new “meat is murder” film Okja looks interesting too. Memories of Murder and Snowpiercer were both excellent, and I hope this one is no exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

1 Like

Who’s seen the new Pirates? How’d you like/dislike it?

Wow, I’m surprised. WW looked like another crappy DC movie from the trailer. I may check this one out.

Blade Runner 2049 also looks bad from the trailer. Other than some nice visuals it doesn’t look like there’s much substance to this movie and that’s a shame.