What Movies Are You Watching? —2017—

Indeed. It is the talk in Cannes, and not only because of the controversy surrounding having Netflix pics in the run.

I love me some Korean cinema. Their TV series suck, but boy are the movies something else. Visually and most importantly, plotwise, very innovative.

I agree 100%. The difference between their TV shows and their cinema is stark.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: What Are You Watching (TV Series, etc.)?

Got to watch In Pursuit of Happiness last weekend.

I watched that film Snatch yesterday. It was very funny but I needed the subtitles because I didn’t understand what they were saying. I think Brad Pitt has a frog in his mouth.

You should enjoy lock, stock and two smoking barrels more. Give it a shot, see how you like it.

Just got out of the theaters a few hours ago. So worth it.

I’m always looking for plot holes and this is the only one I saw…

how in the f-in a did Steve’s plane and the German soldiers get through the “barrier”?
Was it just some fog to mask that paradise island? That’s some weak ass shiznits. You’d think Zeus would’ve left a better magical barrier than some heavy fog.

Overall, great movie. I’m not a WW comic book fan, but I have to guess Gal did a good job portraying WW’s persona.

Damn, I’d pay to see it again if I didn’t have a bunch of other movies I wanted to see.

Right?! Man. A day and a half more to wait until release here. I can’t wait to finally give them my money this time around lol.

Yeah I think Zeus’ magic is for the island is to make it impossible to purposefully locate, not impossible to enter. Maybe like instead of (Avengers) invisible stealth ship in the sky, it’s that but island-in-the-ocean version.

If my buddies want to see it again I could be convinced, perhaps round 3 will be with Atmos, or a 70mm showing.

[spoiler]P.S. I’m not the only one who was sort of relieved that her final battle, unlike BvS Doomsday, was not complete CG blob, right? It was refreshing to see a person’s face under that helmet for a change. Feels more personal.

P.P.S. It did feel slightly weird to me that, since she’s actually a god/god-killer, then how come she didn’t just have or use those superpowers to begin with? For example that huge energy blast during the adulthood training scene was clearly the first time she’s done it. Most glaringly, the “shield!” bit they did in the Bulgarian town to give her a boost up the tower - while nice callback to the Robin Wright sequence, seems in retrospect kinda silly, cause later while battling Ares she flies. Also it seemed like a stretch for the German general to even hold a candle against a superhero who could pick up a freakin’ tank with one arm, even with the strength boost serum*. What gives?

*Considering the story, that watchtower fight scene could have been cut shorter to both a) set a base reality for her abilities, and b) deliver that quick punch of hollow reality the General turns out to be, versus the dramatic showdown WW (and maybe some audiences) had expected. Again, the lady kills freakin’ Ares ten minutes later, how do they expect us to believe fighting a 'roided-up human would be any sort of struggle?

But that’s nit-picking I guess. It still blows me away how fun and true north the hero and movie are, not what we’ve been accustomed to from the 3 previous DC films.
[/spoiler]

Ultimately, Wonder Woman got me looking forward to the Justice League movie, and I think that’s the biggest win the studios can hope for.

You bring up a good point…

[spoiler]She realizes she’s bad ass when her gauntlets emitt some kind of shock wave. Starts leaping across 100ft cliffs, creating her own grips in the tower to climb, and leaps through the air and razes church’s clock tower. I mean, she’s not a dumb ass, but how on earth did she know she was capable of such things?

BAMF demo-god vs enhanced human. The general shouldn’t have even been able to push WW down, which in turn shouldn’t have been a long fight, but I felt the “I am Diana…” dialogue before she crashes through the roof was pretty bad ass.

Another thing that gets me wondering, what about the “God killer” sword. Ares destroys the blade, but she has it again in BvS for the Doomsday battle?

I also failed to see what part the chief plays in the gang. Explosives? They didn’t make that very prevalent to the audience.[/spoiler]

[quote=“ranlee, post:133, topic:157497, full:true”]
BAMF demo-god vs enhanced human. The general shouldn’t have even been able to push WW down, which in turn shouldn’t have been a long fight, but I felt the “I am Diana…” dialogue before she crashes through the roof was pretty bad ass.

[/quote]
Indeed. Bad-friggin’-ass it was.

As Ares reveals: Diana is the God-killer. They’re different swords :wink:

I think he is primarily there to deepen Steve’s character. Steve has history with all in the task force but only chief also hails from the home of the brave. But I’ll let you know when if I see something the next time around.

Which gets me thinking…

It’s very clear that Steve is American. What on earth is he doing spying for the British government? I mean, his mission is to bring world peace, so who cares where he’s actually from and UK US were part of the allied forces, but it still doesn’t add up.

…Even today it isn’t uncommon for foreign allies to loan each other operatives. It surprises me that you don’t know this

Yah…

I do realize that everyone is on the same side and am aware of allies lending operatives. Just don’t realize why they couldn’t have been a British spy instead of American? I guess because OG Wonder Woman was secretary for Steve in the US army? So homeage to that/

Back to how awesome the movie was…that theme song gets me every time.

As I’m told, Steve Trevor has always been American, why change that? They’ve already changed the backdrop from WWII to the first one (as I recall, the director was originally quite adamant they stick to the comic book origin where she kicks some Nazi ass).

Also, it’s looking like her next solo film will again be a period piece - There’s almost 100 years between WW and BvS after all!

FYI: Apparently Chris Pine signed on for a multi-picture deal, what do you think they plan to do with that?

June 2! https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wonder-woman-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/id1234766869

For your convenience :grin::grin::

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhc. @ranlee ma homie… So. Dang. Epic.

1 Like

Very very true. I guess I’ll leave this conversation as is. Just kind of weird in my mind, which is why I brought it up.

Uh, more Gal Gadot, more great on screen chemistry, more movie magic and of course more epic theme song?

However, we see Steve’s intent to blow up the plane of gas bombs and we see the plane blow up from a distance, but we don’t see Steve pull the trigger. Wait…do we?
that part is kind of a blur, I was nerdgasm-ing bc of the end fight.

Honestly, WW saved BvS.

I’ve killed things from other worlds before.

Who says that? BAMF.

DAMN. Exactly. Oh lord one day to go, time can’t slug on slower than it is now. Can’t wait :boom::fire::boom::fire::boom::fire:

PS. Apparently Chief is a war zone black marketeer

PPS. What do you think of the Flash suit? A buddy and I were chatting today and we agreed it was weird. It just looks sorta awkward.

According to “NOWTHIS” Facebook, not the great of sources, but WW is the highest rated comic book movie on Rotten Tomatoes with a 97% rating. Comments say it normally comes down once more reviews are written after release, but that’s pretty damn high. Seems like the first goers all loved it.

Maybe it’ll be explained in Justice League, I didn’t grow up reading the comics, but it seems like they don’t want to have the heroes, both MCU and DC wearing too much lycra like they do in the comics. Seems…tacky?

I mean, look at Cap’s suit in the first Avengers, probably the closest thing that resembled lycra and everyone gave that a big double thumbs down.

It currently sits at 94%, on par with the highest rated Marvel film (2008 Iron Man). Likely it goes down but honestly when I first went in, I was just hoping it didn’t suck. God knows we don’t need another thoughtless cash-grab reboot of superhero characters.

Having said that, I’m very keen to see Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Cap’s suit has always looked more kevlar to me, or some kind of ballistic weave, which look similar to Black Widow and Hawkeye’s suits, but theirs is plus leather. Iron Man and War Machine have their mechanized armors and Thor has his battle armor, both metal alloys. Ant-Man and Falcon have their armored metal plates and leather pants. Vision has whatever voodoo that is. Hulk has ripped shorts from whatever cloth his pants were made of, at the time of transformation. Dr. Strange has his tibetan robes (looks cotton) and the magic cape. The only spandex-y suit is worn by Spider-Man.

On the DC side, the standard batsuit looks like it’s from some kind of high density carbon fiber weave. Cyborg’s body is built from some metal alloy. Aquaman has his scaly metal armor (kind of like Thor). And then there’s that glossy metal tights from superman…

…Which, speaking of, how the hell does superman’s suit not get an inch of tear, especially after losing the battle with batman and the apocalyptic showdown with doomsday? Like, even with all the money in the world and ultra-covert military tech, Bruce Wayne’s exoskeletal cowl shattered. Yeah his alien skin is invulnerable so no wounds = forgivable, but his shiny-ass tights? Tough to overlook.

It looks more like Iron Man 4 to me. There was a photoshopped movie poster where Iron Man pretty much took over the poster. I’ll look for it and post it here later.

I’m not too excited about seeing it, but I’m too invested in the MCU to not see it.

So we’re opening that can of worms? Perfectly fine with letting out my inner nerd.

Same can be said about Diana’s suit and how both of them are not shown to have scratches, bruises, cuts during rigorous battles like with Doomsday.

I think, Superman’s suit is made of Kryptonian material or you can say he’s got some kind of Kryptonian chi/aura surrounding him since he’s pretty much impenetrable. Same can be said about WW’s having an godly aura.