What Movies Are You Watching? —2017—

Haha I’m excited. Tony Stark will be an undeniable presence because RDJ is a huge star and box office draw, but they know well enough to know it’s still Spidey’s story, gotta focus on Peter.

Her suit is an Amazonian (?) metal alloy battle armor. Grossly insufficient (don’t get me started), but a battle armor nonetheless.

Accepting the kryptonian material theory - How come it didn’t give when Batman gass-blasted him (numerous times) with kryptonite? Also if Doomsday can easily pierce right through the suit at the end (twice - front and back), how come the effects of his other monster attacks aren’t consistent?

“Aura”… What the what, bud. I just… eh.

May entertain this if you can come up with the fictional comic book science behind it.

Re: WW power inconsistency, agreed that it is weird that she was pretty much invulnerable to Doomsday’s super-powered attacks (no bruises or scratches?), yet during that first German/Amazonian beach battle, she could be grazed by a mere man-made bullet (even if the arm did then rapidly heal).

Oh yeah, we’re going deep.

I was never a big Spider Man fan to begin with. So I can’t say I’m too excited about Homecoming.

I’m going to go with…forged by Zeus and she’s a demi-god. WW’s weakness is her hands being bound by a man. Apparently the WW creator liked bondage. Which could explain why [spoiler]she didn’t receive a scratch in the final battle for both movies. My theory is that she was NOT wearing the battle armor during the beach attack, thus resulting in a flesh wound OR her BAMF powers weren’t developed yet.

Kind of like how Starlord turns on his mask/flight suit in space that only covers his face, but somehow the rest of his body doesn’t freeze in deep space.[/spoiler]

My argument (and theory) is Superman is powered by the sun or better yet, UV? I dont’ want to get too real scientific about it, but my knowledge is that, no matter what the weather is, there’s still some sort of UV beaming through. So, he’s still regenerating at a very very low rate or he has slight resistance to it in gas form. However, one can argue that gas gets straight into the organs, but Superman is really only down for the count when you see him get impaled by kryptonite.

The aura theory was purely my own. Unfortunately, no comic book reference to give.

How did Doomsday pierce him? Wasn’t the spear edged with kryptonite? I vaguely remember any of that fight before WW shows, so excuse my ignorance.

How does her hands being bound relate to sudden invulnerability? When was it bound?

Star-lord didn’t freeze instantly because he’s part Kurt Russell, who was a literal living planet.

Doomsday pierced him with one of his giant forearm bone-spikes.

PS. Re: Steve

We did not see Steve pull the trigger, but he was firmly in the pilot’s seat, pointing his gun back at a fully-packed freighter with nothing but weaponized hyrdrogen bombs. I mean, at this point if he appears in a sequel it’s gotta be in flashback form… Right? :thinking:

WW’s hands being bound by a man, was not in the movie, it’s a reference to the comic books and is her only weakness. It’s whack.

We don’t know that in the first movie though. I thought long and hard for this reference, it was a comic book one too, why can’t you just accept it! :cry: :smile:

Also, volume 2 explains that Starlord being part planet, is why he held onto the infinity stone for so long, not how he could breathe in space. One can assume if you’re part planet you can breathe in space, but that’s not explained! Last time I checked,
Ego was in a spaceship traveling in space, as almighty as he is, still needs a ship?
C’mon

[spoiler]Or he’s immune to the gas and is enhanced by it and turned evil by doctor evil gas woman to fight WW. A hero’s worst enemy is always one they care or cared about.

Need a reference? Cap and Bucky. Boom.

One, if not the best, MCU movie to date, Winter Soldier. Cap vs his only friend. On the DCU side. It’s WW vs her first and only true love.[/spoiler]

You heard it here first.

Haha, ok! It was a pretty out of the box one, great mind-muscle flexing :clap: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Re: Ship - Since he “thought up” everything on the planet, did he “think up” the ship, too? Which, like everything, would be an extension of himself. Also, he needs rest, i.e., he needs to have transportation for Mantis, and for Peter if he finds him.

Even if he is immune to the gas, the ginormous explosion would have ended it. Your theory is the exact amount of credible as my Rey theory, bahaha.

Winter Soldier is pretty great, endorse.

P.S. The second time holds up! Man. Now that it’s out, I’m going to get the original score so I can listen on demand. So badass.

It’s 2017, get Spotify or free ride a family plan from someone.

Wait, back to our original conversation. We never established by Superman and WW’s suits don’t get scratched in battle…

Eh, I like to own my music. Pass them down to my theoretical future kids and grandkids if I so choose, etc. What are you gonna do, sneak them the password of your free ride and hope your college roommate never cancels? :joy:

Didnt you say… Kryptonian material and Zeus-forged battle armor? Which, I guess, sure - if you must.

Either way, it just looks better and more believable when they ground things that way - Another great, visual way they can show us stakes and what insurmountable threat they’re up against. Always pristine feels like a video game or simulator to me. Especially when they specifically damaged batman’s exoskeletal suit for comparatively lesser dramatic effect/overblown, silly miscommunication.

I mean, imagine if 007’s tux looks steam cleaned and dry pressed AFTER a nasty, ugly fight sequence. Just because it’s a superhero movie doesn’t mean it should get a pass. In fact, even Thor’s Asgardian battle armor got a few minor scuffs, dents, stains, scrapes, grazes etc:

OTOH, didn’t supe’s cape catch on fire/burn in man of steel? Could be wrong.

No.3.

70mm has a Dunkirk preview.

A friend who hasn’t seen it bought the tix.

Also, because it’s fun (sue me).

007 is a man with a gun. We’re talking about Gods, demi gods and aliens here.

Honestly, I just think it’s more badass that their suits/battle armor don’t get scratched in fights. It just adds to the bad assery.

I think at the end of the day, it comes down to, which one do you prefer to see on screen? Personally, I like the DC approach. It just make the heroes so much more BAMF.

There are currently 2 Spanish movies playing in Taiwan cinemas:

Contratiempo - a suspense thriller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDozE7G6aA

The Queen of Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SZLioqEaU

And a Chilean one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpzJzGl3XYw

For anyone who wants to try something different.

So upset his character in WW didn’t turn into a wolf. Also seeing a flash back of a young Professor Lupin in WW for some reason made me chuckle…

Saw the movie over the weekends, and it was so amazing. I loved the battle scene on the beach, where all the Amazon warriors rode out to meet the intruders.

Few thoughts about WW:

[spoiler]After the movie ended, I found myself sort of wishing Ares isn’t dead because it would be so much easier to explain the wars that followed the Great War.

Then I realized the movie made the right decision to just kill Ares. There’s no shedding of guilt caused by the insanities of Hitler, NAZIs, and Japanese military leaders to a fictional character. Those atrocities are squarely on us.

For that reason I hope the next WW solo movie won’t be about WW2. WW said in BvS that she has stayed away for 100 years. Imagine her bemusement and horror just watching people commit such cruelties even after she killed Ares. That kind of insanity would keep anyone away for 100 years.[/spoiler]

Guys, is WW a movie best suited for IMAX, 3D or 2D? Suggestions for viewing required.

That’s a really valid point hansioux. What is she going to do after the events of WW.

Nonetheless, her shield in BvS seemed like it’s seen many battles and worn out. Let’s hope there’s more to come.

My rule of thumb is never 3D unless the movie was specifically made to be seen in 3D.

1 Like

@hansioux There are a lot of things we don’t know about the sequel, save that the same director will return, and it will be set in the States (“The story will take place in the U.S., which I think is right,” she said back in April in an interview with EW. “She’s Wonder Woman. She’s got to come to America. It’s time.”).

@ranlee Pretty much hit the nail in the head. God no 3D, unless specifically shot for it. This film is one of the rare exceptions where it’s totally worth the IMAX money. Go for it, hermana. Have fun.

Ok, I’m going to revisit my own post and say wtf.

Check the BvS fight scene and then look back on trailers/images from WW. Isn’t it clear that she is invincible and can’t be scratched? Why can her gear get scratched?

Or is it a different shield? They look like different sizes.

BvS

WW

My question is: How flippin’ old is Diana?

[spoiler]So she’s the daughter of Zeus and half sister of Ares. How long ago did y’all think Zeus die, and how close to his death was her birth? How old was she in 1918 when she made that energy blast and then rescued Steve, Ariel style?

Some say 800 - so like, does that mean Zeus and the Olympian gods had that epic Earth-shattering battle with Ares 800 years ago, then?
[/spoiler]

You don’t get to skip my question and ask your own. :smiley:

That’s like asking how old Superman is.

Honestly, I think we’re asking too many real life questions. In a comic book world, it is what it is.

It’s so much more straight forward to calculate Clark’s age since he was an infant when he landed on earth. We could only be off by a couple of years, tops.

Wait, I got your answer…

Does it matter how old she is? She’s a BAMF no matter the age.

No? I tried.