What Non-English Teaching Jobs are out there? Need advice

Hello everyone. I feel slightly embarrassed to start a topic on this but am in need of advice. I’ve been living in Taiwan for a couple of years now, and will be here for quite a few years to come (Because of the Husbands job), and so I am looking for some type of work. Everyone I talk to just tells me “Oh, go work at a cram school.” , and I’ve actually been chased down the street and through a book store by Taiwanese asking me to come work at their cram school. But, I’m looking for something different, something probably more suitable to me.
Breakdown about me:
I’m from the USA, I’m 24.
In the states, I have experience working with food. Was a waitress for a few years, and then moved on to supervise and run a frozen yogurt shop for awhile (That was the best time!)
I do not have a college degree (and I’m sure this makes getting a decent job quite harder!)
I have worked in a cram school for about a year, and did not particularly like it.
I wouldn’t mind working with little kids and kindergartners, because I do love kids. But, I would not really like to teach actual English classes again. My heart just isn’t into that and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for those kids learning! :doh:
I live in a small town, about an hour away from Taipei. So that again limits possibilities.
I do have a car, and wouldn’t mind driving.
I took Chinese for about (a combined) 3 years. I’m not fluent, but can hold a decent conversation.
I really enjoy baking and wouldn’t mind actually working in a bakery to learn more about it. I have applied to a couple, but seem to get passed up because they aren’t sure with my Chinese ability, and me being a foreigner.

I’m okay with the fact that maybe no one can help me. I’m not looking for someone to point out an actual job to me, just need advice about how to find one, or just to hear anyone elses experience with finding non-English teaching jobs here. My husband works full-time and isn’t home too much, so really it’s just me and the dog and she’s adorable and everything, just not much of a conversation holder, so I’d like to get out and get my butt working!

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this it something you are looking for, but I remember the people at Honestbee were looking for part-timers some time ago. You can take a look: https://honestbee.tw/en/become-a-bee

P.S.: I have no connection nor anything with them. I just remembered the ad somewhere…

To work in a bakery, you might need a license, which entails taking a test, which is in Chinese. Most office jobs do require a college degree -experience laws are more flexible now- to work legally, hence the difficulty. Working at kindergarten or cram school level without a degree means illegal work which entails quick reflexes for when you have to jump out the window when the fuzz comes for inspection…

I would suggest baking and selling from home. Seasonal items: Christmas cookies, Easter cupcakes, etc. There is large room for creativity and selling on the Interweb. As long as you have a 7-11 or Post Office nearby, the world is your oyster.

How about organizing cooking classes in English for kids? Or some handicraft workshops? Winter break is coming and if you keep kids off the parents hair, they would love it.

Dog walking, making dog clothes perhaps? Join pet clubs, see what they need. Maybe work at a pet store as caregiver? Might need a license, too…

This is for starters, not only to keep busy but to make contacts, establish a routine, see what you like. As per Murphy’s Law, once you are busy, that is when people start looking for you. Good luck.

Do you have a JFRV or APRC?

Thanks everyone for the kind replies! Definitely giving me encouragement and ideas to think over!

yyy - I have an ARC, is that is along the lines of what you’re asking.

[quote=“AthenaMaLi”]Thanks everyone for the kind replies! Definitely giving me encouragement and ideas to think over!

yyy - I have an ARC, is that is along the lines of what you’re asking.[/quote]
If your spouse is Taiwanese and you therefore have a JFRV, you don’t need a work permit. If you stay long enough on ARC’s to get an APRC (the P is for permanent), you can apply for an open work permit that gives you the same status as a JFRV holder. Otherwise, the degree thing really is a difficult obstacle to overcome, assuming you want to stay legal.

Restrictions on volunteer work were recently relaxed, as noted in the volunteering forum.

If youre attractive, I’m sure clubs and bars will hire you.