What of what you installed can you take with you when your lease ends

My wife’s sister leased and apartment in TW but it didn’t have air conditioning. She agreed to have it installed "assuming she could remove it and take it with her When the lease ends " I assumed she was buying slide in wall units but she bought two large 2 piece central air type units. Which are installed through the wall. I told her that in the US they would not be able to remove even if they were willing to pay the cost. (Afixed ). Now the waterheater is working poorly and the landlord will not change it ,suggesting she install her own.
What’s the law in TW - can she take the items with her when she moves if she repairs any damage to the walls?
Thank you in advance for any input.

don’t know the “exact” law (even if there is one, considering this is Taiwan), but if she installs an A/C on her own, she can take it when she leaves. The landlord will not/should not do anything. Like bringing in a TV. Would she leave a new TV, just because the landlord didn’t provide one in the beginning?

What does the contract say?

Exactly. If the contract lists a chair. the chair must be there when you leave. Even if you do not use it. If you threw it away, replace it.

thanks but there is my concern. even in the US you can remove a TV you brought in but you can not remove a an AC unit you installed. by installed I’m not referring to sliding into a hole in the wall but installing pipes through the wall and plastering over them. one is called a fixture and can’t later be removed, the other is personal property and can be removed.
thanks for your reply though! All answers add clarity.

AC was installed after the lease was signed so the contract is mute on the subject.

contract came before ac was installed and therefore doesn’t help clarify.

good news, the landlord did agree to installed the new water heater.

Make sure the contract lists everything that belongs to the landlord and what not. It is for your own good.

You could add that the ac was installed, with a bunch of seals and both your signatures.

Please remember in Taiwan it is verbotten to make a hole on the wall. Any hole. Or leave any permanent mark of your presence. It is anatema.

sure. take it all with you. patch over any holes carefully, and be prepared nonetheless for a battle over deposit money return. But that normal with or without AC removal.

a water heater is more problematic… keep the old one and re-install it as you leave?

My last landlord was like this, but wouldn’t fix anything either. The new landlord won’t fix anything but really doesn’t care what I do. I just installed a split AC unit and it is so nice and quiet…I do have the habit of leaving things in better condition than when I arrived. There literally was a hole in the wall above the sofa where a light fixture was, so I bought an inexpensive light fixture from Ikea. Stuff like that, I won’t bother to take. Same for towel bars, shelves, curtain rods…When I moved in, the place had been scalped of any shelf, hook, everything.

Very good idea to document anything and everything when you move in – video camera and stills – so you don’t get hit for damage later. Or at least you have something to argue based on.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice. Ive been gone from TW but just saw your reply.captainjohng

1 Like