What should Europeans do when an earthquake strikes in Taiwan?

I guess I’m still a bit paranoid about this. I’m from Europe and we don’t have these (well, maybe some countries do). I heard that Asians get regular earthquake training and I have seen videos where they just frolic around when it happens.

I have never been to Asia before so want to know as much as possible to prepare for a good time there… :slight_smile:

Do what everyone else is doing.
Twitter!

1 Like

Generally, yeah, we frolic around nude playing hide the sausage. Here at Forumosa we race to be the first to post the fact too. Gus gives out prizes for the fastest poster.

4 Likes

I’ve yet to see that prize show up in my mailbox.

OP here are some threads in which earthquakes are discussed. You can get a feel of what we Forumosans do and we talk about the behavior of locals as well. We haven’t had a really bad earthquake since 9/21/1999.

Normally, you’re advised to leave the building (via stairs) that you’re in and find open space. I’ve done this when the quake surpasses 2-3 seconds. I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’m also the only person in my office that’s willing to walk down 16 flights of stairs.

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/earthquakes-2016/88882/187

As above, being the first to post about it online is the most important thing. Bonus points if no one else actually noticed it.

Best thing to do is to get one of this bed -
having pets, i think they should create smaller version for cats and fishes too

:eek:

Locals race to post “earthquake!” on social media and PTT as well.

Guide to how to react to earthquakes:

If you can make it out the door without too much trouble, 
    it's a small earthquake, don't bother getting out the door.
else if you have trouble making out the door due too violent shaking,
    you can't make it out the door anyway, just stay inside.

That’s my general rule of thumb anyway…

1 Like

I’m from Central Ameirca. I have survived 5 over 7.5 quakes, and 2 8 pointers.

What the guys have said: basically: wait it out. If it is a really strong one, you won’t make it to the door. You will fall or worse, the strenght of te shaking can throw you against something like a heavy piece of furniture… nad that hurts. So if you are in bed and nothing like a chandelier can fall on you, stay there.

It is always advisable -and makes you feel as if you are doing something- to prepare an emergency backpack. We have complete instructiosn here in case of typhoon but the same one applied even if yoiu are here for a short visit: something you can grab and run. Works for fires, too -which are also more likely than a quake. We need to talk about monoxide poisoning, too.

Basically, your passport, some cash, your charger, a sweater, a waterproof jacket/parka water, some non perishable food, first aid kit, medications you are in, a flashlight and batteries. Think of this: if you had to evacuate your home in a minute, what would you like to have there in a bag just to grab and go?

Yes, do not take the elevator. Trust me, I was trapped in one, no fun. No pity from the rescuers.

Back in teh ol country, we get out and head for a park or open area as soon as we can. But Taipei being a densely populated area, that may not be possible. Poles fall here -in the ol country they can sway over 45 degrees, really cool- lines are love and dangerous. So locals do not go out unless it is totally necessary. There are evacuation routes and designated areas for that. You can look them up when you move in. For 921, we spent the night at the park. We were the only ones. Very few locals did that…unless their building was not safe. So follow the lead of the locals. Trust your gut.

The biggest danger in Taipei comes from random scooters and blue trucks. Look twice even on one way roads. Stay alert. If it come sbetween you and a scooter, swat the scooter. It works.

EDIT: slippers! ad slippers to teh bag!

3 Likes

Oh wow :frowning: well thanks for the suggestions

Don’t runout on the street you may get hit by falling tiles, bricks and glass. Stay inside unless you really think the building is going to go which is very unlikely overall in Taiwan.

Exactly. I remember for 921, when we went out, there was a lot of debris on the streets. One single piece of concrete wall had fallen from somewhere up -not toppled over, but like a piece of balcony several floors above- and landed next to a vocho -VW bug- parked next door. It was about the same size.

I haven’t experienced yet the glass chattering as in the ol country. Seems Taiwanese glasss is made safer.

However, storefront signs are deadly. Worse in a typhoon than a quake. Even out of the blue they may fall without a warning … if badly installed. Hence, walking under them is not advised. That is why we have the arcades/promenades/pedestrian underspasses next to stores.

We really should do that. The prizes, I mean.

Well, the frolicking, too.

2 Likes

This is what i usually do, but it’s not fool-proof…

Firstly, make sure you get a roof top apartment. Then when the earthquake strikes, assume a surfing posture with knees bent and arms extended horizontally. As the building crumbles under you, ‘surf’ a fractured slab of concrete to street level

Unfortunately this method doesn’t work in a typhoon when the last thing you want is a roof-top apartment.

Alternatively, look for a well constructed apartment, maybe not in Hsin Yi, coz that’s supposedly right on the fault line and built on soil that’s prone to liquefaction.

For anyone who owns their house or has permission from the landlord, attaching your bookcases, wardrobes, etc to the wall with a small metal brace would be a good idea. I did that as an ‘after the horse has bolted’ type thing, but it felt very right. It’s standard practice in Japan