What's Living in Hsinchu Like?

I was just offered a good job with a tech company in the Hsinchu Industrial Park and wonder what life in Hsinchu is like. First, it looks like I’ve got to buy a car because there’s no public transport to the park. Right? Then, most of what I saw looked run down and dirty (though it does have Binglang girls to beautify the neighborhoods). Is that true for the most part? Pretty ugly? Are there any nice parts aside from the Industrial Park? Are there decent restaurants, movie theater, gym, swimming pool, etc (I was pleased to discover Eslite)? Nice places to live? Where? Because it’s smaller than Taipei, is there more wilderness nearby than in Taipei (hills to climb, maybe places to bike)? I rarely associate with foreigners in Taipei, but if I wanted to in Hsinchu are there places, or events where foreigners gather?

Thanks for your response.

There is no life in Hsinchu.

I have lived here for 3 years and it gets exceedingly difficult to say something positive about living in this place. It is a place of work and nothing more. The good thing is that the roads lead to Taichung, Taipei, and the surrounding mountains. This is where you will enjoy yourself not in Hsinchu city.

Of course perhaps I am being overly cynical. Next weekend a new Warner Village opens in the city. The rent is cheap. There a few good places to eat and a few bars to drink. There is plenty of shopping and 1 or 2 places you might be able to walk without inconveniencing drivers who ignore your presence.

My boss told when I was accepted my present position – you make your money in Hsinchu but you’ll spend it all in Taipei – thats as true now as it was then.

But I’m sure someone will have something positive to say.

The only outstanding image I have of Hsinchu at the moment is that it is very windy there.

Top nut sluts in Hsinchu.

Hey, MT, when you get a chance, give me a call… love to hear the details of your possible move! Is it with the company I think? GREAT for you!!!

Kristy

Some people working in Hsinchu hfave found nice accomodation in a gated community in Yangmei, which is right between Hsinchu and Taipei. Rents are pricey, though. A flat goes for NT$11000 and houses start from NT$15000. But it’s clean, quiet and nice.

i’m moving here in August. Should I be excited about this? Tell me everything!

Hi jdceleri,
we spent the last 6 years in Hsinchu and just moved up to Taipei. What do you want to know?

yay! ok first i want to know about the food. i’m vegetarian - will i be able to eat or will i have to forage for vegetables?

second, i hear there is a large ex-pat community. where do people meet each other? and reagarding forieners, are they more on the conservative side or will i be able to hang out with the kinky, artsy type?

third, i love to run. especially in pretty places where i’m not in danger of getting hit by a car or breathing in more carcinogens than oxygen. is this going to be possible?

what’s the weather like? how’s the fashion? is there nature nearby? bookstores? cost of living?

…any info you can give me will be graciously appreciated:)
thanks!

O.k., here goes:

Food: no problem, unless you are vegan. Most restaurants offer vegetarian dishes. But beware, chinese vegetarians (buddhists) don’t even eat garlic or chilli … so if you do, let them know.

People: basically two groups: those working in the science park and English teachers. Judging from what you wrote in your post, I’d see you more with the latter group … :wink: There are a lot of cultural activities in Xinzhu, but the city doesn’t really strike one as being the hippest place if you know what I mean. For some reason the fairly large student community in Xinzhu doesn’t seem to leave its mark as much as you maybe would expect …

Pubs: everywhere downtown, I’d suggest you do a pub-crawl to see everything and take your pick, hard to say really …

Running: Big Problem! To answer your question in one word: No. The air is quite bad more or less everywhere, but there are a few places where you don’t notice this as much: the university campuses of Qinghua & Jiaotung Universities along Guangfu Rd. are adjacent to each other and offer a few o.k. routes that can be quite demanding in profile (i.e. hilly), esp. Qinghua around the lake in the back of the campus. It’s also fairly green there, as Taiwan-standards go …

Another good place is 18 Peak Park (Shiba Jian Shan Gongyuan) also more or less off Guangfu Rd., quite a large Park that’s very shady and has one major route going up and down again the main mountain (and its 18 peaks …) plus quite a few smaller foot-paths and trails that are also good for a cross-country style jogg and are fun to explore. Other than that there’s the Green Grass Lake (Qingcao Hu) close to Minghu Lu that you can run around, but that’s not too exciting. Across the 18 Peak Park, on the other side of Baoshan Rd. there’s the fairly new Hsinchu Botanical Garden, not too big but also a good run with some steep hills & some stairs …

The wheather can get quite warm in the summer, tops out at about 38C and is very humid, the winters stay humid and become what feels a very cold 10C, doesn’t sound like much, but when you’ve got the wind blowing on your house with no heating, no isolation, single-pane windows and tiled floors you’ll probably believe it …

Books: there are a couple of Eslite bookstores downtown, one in the Sogo dept. store and one close to the central round-about (the “Dong Men” (East Gate) Circle, there are concerts on the central “island” of the round-about on weekends in the summer, very mixed though, quality-wise …), plus there is apparently a Caves bookstore now somewhere away from the city center, but you’d have to ask around for it. There are obviously many many more, but these are the ones that carry English and other non-Chinese language books and magazines. Caves is also known for good Chinese language learning material.

Fashion: none that I would be aware of :smiley:

Cost of living: now that depends … you can spend up to 100k/month on a house, or you can rent a room in a shared flat for 5k/month; you can eat out every day and buy imported groceries, or you eat a bowl of noodles every day for 50NT$; you can buy an expensive imported car or ride a scooter … it’s all up to you … :wink:

Hope this helps, Xpet.

If you are a teacher, stay away from.

Check out this website from the Hsinchu cultural bureau. Not only is there info about Hsinchu’s history and culture but there’s a list of about 50 local restaurants where traditional food is served. You can check for veggie places.

hcccc.hccg.gov.tw/english/index-02/main.htm

Have been here 12 years. 2 1/2 as an English Teacher, almost 10 in the Science Park. In the bar/pub scene you also have alot of short-term returns. These people work in the Science-Park, but may come 1-2 weeks a month, or every quarter. Depends. All three groups have actually been known to get along (often). For bars, close to Sol hotel you have most of them:
B52- Ran by Sydney. Great old LP collecton.
Freenite- quite bar
Pumpkin- good Tai food.
4Q2- Good western food, most of your long term expats
Flying Pig- Really busy on the weekends late night.
Roxy- Behind Sol hotel, quite bar
Mr. 7s- More Chinese, good second floor patio.
Pig and Whistle- Good western food (first floor), disco second and third that I rarely go as I am getting old. (close to ambassador hotel)

Close to old market on Jong Sheng Lou (sp?) you have Coach Pub. Haven’t been there in years. Behind the old market near Coach you have a second floor pub called Siemens (may be the oldest bar here). I have never been there before 1AM. Another bar further down the street is Alamo. Two there have recently closed.

Inside the Science Park, there is a bar/rest called Banjos. Located second floor of the building behind the admin center.

Running areas, good areas noted prior to this post. Depends on where you live. If you are close to the two major universities, there campuses are decent running areas. Also, across from 18 peak mountain is a botanical garden. Really nice trails. In 1999 Hsinchu also started a Hash House Harriers Chapter. Good cross country running, but only last Saturday of each month.

Vegetarian food is also not a problem. Chinese or Westerner. Any help, questions you have, let me know. Private E-mail address is davidjonmyers@yahoo.com.

Summers do suck, but that is everywhere in Taiwan below 2000M.

I am an ABC and will be living in Hsinchu in the summer for an internship. What is there to do around town? What are some places to hang out for people my age (im 20).

(I’ve never been to Hsinchu before.)

i’ve been in hsinchu for a while now. This city is mostly filled with execs from the science park. That means tons of expensive restaurants and a few pubs. Most of the nightlife is dead after 12pm.

You can think of it as an opportunity to really concentrate on your internship.

But their are certainly lots of cheap places to eat, places to walk on the weekends, and a couple decent movie theatres. I have a feeling that the night life is pretty non-existant but I never go out past 8 except to jog. The good thing is that there are plenty of buses going to Taipei.

You might check out http://www.hicatw.org.tw/city.asp for some ideas.

i saw some babes in da SOGO there…but i also heard all da hotties marry engineers pretty young, so they may all be taken…

Thanks for the “encouragement.” I guess I’ll be spending most of my weekends in Taipei then…

so Hsinchu doesn’t have any nightmarkets or roadside food places like Taipei?

I’m still young…

Does the fact that I go to school at Bokelai (aka Berkeley) and have a US passport help any?

Of course it’ll help!!! From now on make a conserted effort to tell this to every single person you meet. Word of mouth mate is the best way to get those babes rolling in. Better even, post this leg-opening news on all the local websites with a photo – get someone to translate it into Chinese, Taiwanese, Hakkanese, Japanese – just to make sure! And … voila, Bob’s your uncle and Fanny’s your aunt. Easy! Jees! :loco: