What's Living in Hsinchu Like?

I’m still young…

Does the fact that I go to school at Bokelai (aka Berkeley) and have a US passport help any?[/quote]

so you’re looking to get married?

Hell, even here, Taiwanese folks walk around with “I went to Hahvard” shirts.

who will believe you? lol And who will care? If you said that to me, I’d think, sheesh, another bleeding heart liberal…where’s Fred?

Sleep all day, take the train into Taipei at night, stay all night, take the moring train back. sleep all day.

repeat.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Sleep all day, take the train into Taipei at night, stay all night, take the moring train back. sleep all day.

repeat.[/quote]
It’s all good, it’s all right, fuck all day, fuck night.

That’s how it goes.

You go to Berkeley? And you hold an American passport?
TTT honey, what’s your number? I forgot mine.

Where? And why?

If you are really looking for “booty” you might hang around downtown Hsinchu on Sunday mornings. That’s when all the female foreign workers from the Philippines et al have time off. Since it’s the only time of the week they get to see sunshine and your smiling face you might just be mobbed.

There is a chance I might move to Hsinchu. Currently I live near Stray Dog in Mucha. I like my life as it is right now. Nice house, quiet, lawn 20min commute to work.

• How’re the resturants compared to TPE?
  • How “worldly” are the locals?
  • How’s the traffic?
  • Any good pubs?
  • Housing? Quality? Cost?
  • Schools for the kids?
  • Replacements fo Costco, Jasons or CitySuper?
  • Will I die for lack of culture?

Thanks for any info.

Why don’t you just move and see? I’m totally serious. Seeing the kids question I now understand.

These threads should help.

[What's Living in HsinChu Like

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=363490

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=344982

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=41209

Thanks :blush: I should have been more dilligent in my searches -

But it’s exactly those threads that have got me worried…will life as I know it end?

My friend living there thinks so… he can’t high tail it back to Taipei given a chance, reason, or whatever…

On the other hand, there is the Xinzhu expat community out there. You might want to shoot them an email and ask around. And blasted, I can’t seem to locate their URL.

I’ll try to find.

EDIT: Hsinchu International Community Association

:doh:

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]On the other hand, there is the Xinzhu expat community out there. You might want to shoot them an email and ask around. And blasted, I can’t seem to locate their URL.

I’ll try to find.

EDIT: Hsinchu (Xinzhu) International Community Association[/quote]

I’ve lived in Yang Mei for nearly 4 years and had no idea that group was just up the road (30 minutes). Amazing. :astonished:

Also, really only another 20 minutes on from us then it is easy to get to Taipei if needed. On a good day 60 minutes once you are on the freeway Xinzhu to Taipei?

I love the “windy city”! :rainbow:

It will apparantly become Taiwan’s next capital city… once Hsinchu’s mayor is elected as president… that is. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Elegua”]Thanks :blush: I should have been more dilligent in my searches -

But it’s exactly those threads that have got me worried…will life as I know it end?[/quote] Use a negativity filter when reading all on-line forums. I really wish there was a button for that purpose because it is a whole lot easier to complain about things and then in turn read other people complaints. :slight_smile:

I visited there once. Had a good time. Went there for a job interview but I was overstaying at that time. Guess it was just a road trip. The person who interviewed me was from South Africa, I think. He asked me if I was willing to sign a 2-year contract. He was a teacher at the school. Not the owner (pretty sure). He was going on about how he didn’t trust Chinese and that he was just there for the money and that the owner was the only person he trusted and how she didn’t like this and that. Oh wow! Sold. I couldn’t sign anything, of course and they waited for me to call back to make sure. I guess, when I look back, that my situation was pretty obvious to everyone but whatever. It’s Taiwan. Got a hotel/motel deal (so cheap) and went out on the town with a pocket full of cash. Met a lot of nice locals and went to a KTV with a bunch of guys where these young chicks (like 8 of them and some other coming in and out) wearing chearleader uniforms and taking their clothes of. I won’t go into too many details except that people there seemed quite accpeting like Taiwan in general. Nice bars. A lot of foreigners compared to where I lived: Hualian. I went to one bar and there were a bunch. Some even said, “Hello” Pretty cool. Just one night though. I think it’s a good place if you have a good job (that means ‘non slave’ job). Could probably find a lot of privates there. But who needs those, eh?

Just stay away from noodle shops that are a little out of the main drag. Had a bad experience the next day with these white maggot things in my pig ear noodles. Don’t try pig ears. Too tough. And “No” they weren’t the fish things that they showed in another thread. They were wormy maggot little things.

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have been reading threads on Forumosa.com for a little over a year now; a sincere thank you :bravo: to the forum administrators and all of the regular posters for providing so much useful information and insight about life Taiwan :notworthy: .

About me: I am currently living and teaching in the United States, I have secured a job in Hsinchu and I will be moving their in July of this year. I am super excited :discodance: about making this relocation and I plan on making this a permanent move.

I have searched the forum and the web quite thoroughly for information about general life and recreation Hsinchu but I have not really found a ton of information. I guess I would just like to hear from people who live and/or work in Hsinchu, I am seeking current up to date information and perspectives about daily life. I have looked for pictures on Flickr for pictures and on YouTube for videos about Hsinchu and have not found much there.

Are there any popular hangout spots that a person might want to be aware of for coffee, reading books, walking my dog, hiking, mountain biking, ect. On the flip side, I know Taiwan is relatively safe but it is conscientious to ask, are there certain areas of town to avoid? Is there an area that might have a higher saturation of foreigners, like a Tianmu (sp?) in Taipei? Recommended shopping locations for food and clothing; is there an area like a Ximingding (sp?) in Taipei?

I would really appreciate any information and/or pictures you could provide about Hsinchu.

Thanks for your assistance!

I teach from time to time at NCTU, so I’m don’t have a resident’s perspective (there are New Zoo residents on flob who will know more), but IME the nicest areas are around the NCTU and NTHU campuses. There’s a Starbucks across from NTHU, and the next block has lots of tea shops (old and new). Besides having “country” campuses and a bikepath between the two campuses, there are several bike paths and park-like hills by the campuses toward the downtown area. I think NCTU has better food in its various restaurants than NTHU. The highway bus stops of several companies, electronics shops, and a good cafeteria are on the section of the main drag, Guangfu Ave. , that runs adjacent to NTHU. The HSR bus also has a bus stop there. Downtown New Zoo is similar to most TW cities outside Taipei. Don’t take taxis from the train station. Instead, take taxis from the streets fronting the department stores facing the station. The bus stop for city buses to NCTU and NTHU is in that area, too.

The Hsinchu Foreigner Assistance Center might help. Their website is fairly limited but it might give you some ideas of life here.

Thank you for the reply and the advice. :slight_smile:

I had heard that this was a good area. Anyone have any idea about the availability and cost of apartments in this area?

Thank you for the link. There is a bunch of useful information there.

Sorry, no idea about housing costs. I always stay in faculty housing.