What's the thing you like the most about Taiwan?

What do I love more but realizing that I feel free here… It’s a good wholesome feeling. Alone, I am unencumbered and can sing spontaneous songs about life’s joys and travails…

I love swimming in the sea and the eternity of that green mountain above my place… I love the subtlety, the almost unfathomable grace and delicacy of the women, and their profound tolerance of human frailty and failing ( when in a crunch, mind you… ) Oh, it’s hard to say that life is made of realizing the thrill of consciousness, the sensitivity to sharing life with a friend, a lover… These people can make me feel less selfish. The need to escape is moderated by the subjective responsibility; we cannot point fingers at the causes of our distress… Meaning that Taiwan gives you a chance to cultivate your responsibility…

I feel free to escape into the black silence of anonymity. Nobody knows me here, and I love that feeling of independence… I can wander through the night and across the sea into a new home, then feel free once more…

I enjoy reading all the comments in this thread, it shows the range of your credulity, your need for acid wit, and sincere wishes for a better life… everyone reveals themselves, their truths and self-confusions, their wishes and failings… I wonder if Taiwan makes you imagine that you have understood more than you would have had you stayed at home, after all…

The sheer consternation of living in an incomprehensible place really does make your mind quest for answers where none have invited you to pursue them before…

But thet's ell I cin get out'a her, capt'n!

NFI,

Seeing how you “love” this place so much, may I ask why you didn’t take the first flight out of here long ago? Can that compensation package be that alluring?

quote:
Originally posted by SCL: NFI,

Seeing how you “love” this place so much, may I ask why you didn’t take the first flight out of here long ago? Can that compensation package be that alluring?

Read my post, SCL, that’ll answer your question.

Ooooh, I’m so vulgar! And offensive! Today just gets better and better.

It was recently brought to my attention, and rightfully so, that I have been a bit whiny and complainy about Taiwan, so here’s my (and everyone else’s, if they want to rectify or at least try to balance the scale) new topic. Please don’t think I’m being excessively PC or anything, or I’ll kill ya. Or tell you to please stop it. Or say nothing at all and not really feel that bad.

If I’m reinventing the wheel, I’m sorry and I’ll do better next time, just direct me to the original topic.

Now, here’s number one:

Those really cool folding boxes that people make for garbage (especially chicken bones and such). Brilliant!!! :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Those cool little flashy things on cell phones.

The fact that you can purchase a car and drive for years w/o a driver’s license (my sister-in-law).

Betel-nut beauties! (bin lao mai [I think])

Taroko Gorge park.

Pirated VCDs, CDs, and software.

Lunchtime nap breaks.

That black bean and oyster dish. Yum!

[size=150]

Well, I already did this in another thread, so I’ll try to think up new things this time.

They call kids

More important than the beer is the lack of open container laws. :slight_smile:

zhen zhu nai cha and shui jiao! cheap internet cafes with free drinks. gorgeous women

-WHISKEY in the 7-11’s (They have beer in 7-11 everywhere)
-as mentioned above, no open container laws
-they sell booze at all hours
-night market food, too many different things to mention
-warm weather
-low crime- you can nap on benches when coming out of the clubs if you’re too loaded to walk, and not worry about getting rolled
-nice people
-good bus system and MRT
-temples everywhere
-the train around the island, fun!
-bin lang
-D’s house out in New Garden City :slight_smile:
-cold sesame noodles
-bizarre night market t-shirts
-scooter slogans
-anonymity instantly available

It’s been a year since my last visit, I can’t wait to come back!

My new scooter replete with flashing blue lights zooming through NeiHu tunnel.

Food! (sesame balls, stinky tofu, tea eggs, tomato eggs, all the yummy faux meat products).

The transportation system is super convenient, even moreso that the MRT lines are up and running.

Never colder than 50 degrees F.

Everything is open late.
Everything is closeby.
(Where else can you roll out of bed at 2AM and not have to drive to get good food?)

Wearing sandals is considered okay almost anywhere and at anytime.

Good things about living in Taiwan?

1. living in the quiet year 91 instead of the insane year 2002

2. no racism

3. no nightly murders on TV

4. late night snacks

5. quite friendly and openminded people, if you can get past the cultural barriers

6. English is understood almost everywhere around island

7. out of the culture vulture loop of USAUK celebrity BS

8. yes, cold sesame noodles, delicious!

9. fantastic women! even the ulgy ones are friendly and kind!

10. menfolk who are kind and generous, hoping to land a good job and a beautiful wife someday

That’s on a good day! On a bad day, my list of gripes could go sky high. But thanks, Nemesis for giving us this chance to topload…

[quote=“dangrmous”]-WHISKEY in the 7-11’s (They have beer in 7-11 everywhere)
[/quote] Not in BC or the bible belt they don’t, nor in much of Europe. Very uncivilized.
Of course I could mention whisky and amphetamines sold together in Thai gas stations, but that would sound ungrateful wouldn’t it? :wink:

Oh, I almost forgot:

Low taxes
:smiley:

tile. everywhere.
no wait, i hate that.

have to agree with shaopang about taroko tho-
penghu was pretty nice too.

Lovely tile, marble and hardwood floors being the norm, rather than grotty carpet and cheap-looking linoleum.

Drains in the kitchen and bathroom floors (in our place, they’re all in the low parts —yay!!!—

Inexpensive electronics.

The really funky stuff in the stationary shops.

Finding something new in the grocery shop EVERY SINGLE TIME.

The marvellous selection of fruit that can never be found at “home”.

People who insist I take their seat on the bus/MRT because I have a baby.

People who actually get off the bus just to help me with my baby stroller (compactly folded!!!) and then get back on.

BBQ chicken hearts at 1am.

Fried noodle for NT30.

“Jelly in cafe”.

7-11s etc on every corner.

Parks everywhere.

Fish ponds with huge coy we can feed.

Watson’s.

Convenient buses/MRT.

Being anonymous when I go out–I can look all shot out and nobody knows me.

Red envelopes.

NT$20 stores.

Jennifer

Inexpensive electronics.

You must be kidding. Computers maybe, but not hifi/Av stuff - they are overpriced here which makes even Germany look cheap in comparision.

I nearly forgot…

Fruit!

And Taiwan’s tomatoes ROCK! I never liked them (tomatoes in general) until I tasted these local delights. I eat them like apples, Deeeeeeeeelish!

The amazing selection of juices and teas in convenience stores, and the convenience stores being EVERYWHERE (hence the name).

CDs are super cheap in comparison to the States too, even cheaper for the pirated stuff. But I haven’t seen many used CD places around- do they exist here?

asking how much people get paid.
what’s up with that?

what i wouldn’t give for a big bag of Roma Tomatoes!