What's up with all the white smoke today? [Taipei]

Yup. Seems to be the consensus amongst my Taiwanese friends. Weather coming down from the North and over from China bringing with it all the lovely Chinese pollution, dust and dirt.

The news is saying that this is actually a buildup of local pollution due to poor dispersion conditions, and that as the northeast monsoon picks up tomorrow, the pollution will be coming from China.

2 Likes

The ‘news’ doesn’t know anything.

The mere fact that they’re not blaming it on China makes me tend to believe them on this one. But yeah, in general, the local news is for entertainment purposes only.

That’s from Kaohsiong and Tainan…Normal air pollution unfortunately in the region.

The key word is inversion. It keeps the smog trapped in the winter time. Its actually extremely common in central and Southern Taiwan.

1 Like

It does look like it’s from China this time. See here:

1 Like

Yeah, they said the northeast monsoon would start blowing tonight and bring in that Chinese pollution. Cool simulation.

This happened all the time during winter, on the front range of Colorado. The local governments stepped up and promoted clean(er) air programs such as voluntary alternative no drive days (based on your car tag number), emission controls, (enforced), to varying degrees of success. I do not recall seeing any such programs being promoted in TW, to date.

2 Likes

I checked both the PM 2.5 for Taipei and Taichung (where I am) and both were in red alerts

Looks to be island-wide! I’m glad @Yang_Gui_Zi didn’t take me up on that bet.

1 Like

Although pollution from china does factor in. Most of it is still domestic. It’s not completely on china. Even taiwan still uses coal for energy. Shame.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was wrong thinking it was only fog. Definitely smog!

1 Like

When you bed him “8 posts”, what did you mean?

He just basically meant a gentleman’s bet. Simply bragging rights. And it was actually only 5 posts, I was holding out for more.

Ah. I thought he meant he was going to temp 8 posts… :laughing:

3 Likes

Well, he’s not @TEMPogain for nothing!

4 Likes