What's wrong with rice porridge?

With yams is a delicacy at the Taiwanese restaurant in Brother Hotel. Never understood why. And the presentation: plop down a metal pot with several servings therein on the table. I’ll take good white rice any day over rice porridge.

I do like the Korean stone rice and then pouring a little barley tea in when you get to the bottom to get the noo-roong-jee to unstick (누룽지- sorry don’t know how to say this in English or Mandarin). Kind of a porridge but crunchy with an overcooked rice taste. Mmmmm.

I got the impression that stupid Taiwanese “breakfasts” consisted of sweet break or cakes from the local convenience store. That’s what I see many shoving into their kids hands …

Tsio̍h-tsing-khū Hái-sán-muê
石摏臼 海產糜

My favorite porridge

Unfortunately, I ODd on porridge during my hospital stay. However, even in the hospital, the seafood poridge was outstanding. If I had to eat it, I’d pick seafood flavor over and over again.

The Mandarin for that would be 鍋巴.

2 Likes

This is by far the most typical Taiwan breakfast.

breakfast2

1 Like

We called it Arroz Caldo …good in rainy/winter season

I was ready to get offended until I realized you’re right

HA! Taiwanese who don’t really see western food believe that a sandwich come that way. Only in a triangle form. I nearly drove a student to tears because a tried teaching sandwich as well, a sandwich.
She said it could not be a sandwich because it was not a triangle. She said her parents or chinese teacher teacher said it was so and I knew nothing. After I show proof, a further taught the class that even hamburgers are sandwiches… water works…
Rice porridge is great. I love it with peanuts, pork floss (not the fish kind) and some thing made out of soy that whos Taiwanese name sounds like doggie in english. It’s Chinese name is Dou Zhao but no one here knows it by that name. Yum.

1 Like

What about hamburgers? They’re round! You’re trying to square the circle!