Whats your coolest tool?

My 3-lb. sledge hammer, because I can fix anything with it, heh heh.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”] I always wanted a hammer drill…
[/quote]I’ve wanted one for a while, too. Quite useful here since just about everything is made of concrete. I finally bought one about a month ago. Second-hand from a flea market. I paid NT$ 500. Quite the bargain. :slight_smile:

Hard to say which tool is the coolest.

Probably the air compressor since so many cool air tools depend on it. It’s also nice to have air pressure to blow on things, check tire pressure, etc.

Them guys are pretty cool:

Maybe not the coolest, but by far the tool I use the most frequently is this little guy:

I bought it at Costco. Built in auto-lock so you can use it a standard screwdriver for stiff screws or for more precision. Very strong, you can screw a 3 inch wood screw in hard wood, no problem. Very very useful and a huge time saver whenever I need to screw or unscrew something around the house, on the motorcycle, etc. The battery lasts forever, too. Awesome tool. I highly recommend it.

marboulette

Sorry about the blurry images. Not sure what happened with that. :s

Weidmüller STRIPAX, expensive (>EUR70) but invaluable for stripping smaller wires.

And my old but trusty multimeter, Metex M-4650B:

Back home, my Sawzall. Cuts wood, metal, plastic, nails, cement, you name it.

In Taiwan, my Thinkpad X61. Just bought it last weekend and I’m using it right now. :slight_smile:

Does this count? :smiley:

most of my bike tools are extremely use-specific (some wrenches only get used once or twice a year or so) but this one gets my vote for coolest tool.

improved chain tool

i wish i had a whole set of facers and chasers too, but hardly ever need them… and with bikes in multiple sizes, i’d need several of each.

Yeah, but only because it has a LCD display. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Back home, my Sawzall. Cuts wood, metal, plastic, nails, cement, you name it.

[/quote]

I have one of them back home, too. Mine is made by Makita. Got it from a former carpenter/coke addict for CD$50. He needed coke money and he really wanted me to buy it. Got a Makita table saw from him, too. :idunno: I thought about posting a pic of that, too. Awesome tool that Sawzall.

That blender looks pretty high tech, BTW. I think it can be considered a cool tool for sure.

marboulette

Guys (and gals) keep 'em coming this is cool. I have to say my favourite so far is the chain breaker…where did you get that?

I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
I’d like to establish the Just Plain Perfect category.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free.
I reckon I’ve spent more time with my paw wrapped around one of these (I can’t believe I gave all my tools away when I left, fucking doof) than around the current AND ex-Mrs. combined.
Sheer perfection.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]
Whats your coolest tool, and how did you learn to use it?[/quote]

1. My Little Platinum Limited

2. Practice, practice, practice… :sunglasses:

The Sawzall is pretty fun; I like using my all-purpose Dremel - very handy tool.

homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto … =100609465

Another cool tool is a wet table saw: pumps water around the saw to minimze friction, heat, etc.: good for cutting ceramic tiles.

my first power tool: a jigsaw.

Man, I miss home depot.

Doubly good because I passed on paying a stupid amount for an original and found a knock off for a quarter of the price.

HG

chief: that Estwing is indeed the world’s best hammer.
HGC: yup, i have one just like it, also a knock off, but mine was free… even better.

edgar allen: i get my park tools from a giant store on MinQuan East Road. for a fancy one like that, they have to order it in… but they can get any park tools in the cattledog.

HGC I have one of those. Dad got 2 as gifts so I inherited early.

Nama I think you win the prize for best too. I just wish you’d stuck and NSFW on it as I won’t be able to stand for a while now.

[quote=“urodacus”]most of my bike tools are extremely use-specific (some wrenches only get used once or twice a year or so) but this one gets my vote for coolest tool.

improved chain tool

i wish I had a whole set of facers and chasers too, but hardly ever need them… and with bikes in multiple sizes, I’d need several of each.[/quote]

Park makes very good tools across the board. Well built and durable. Never had a problem. Course, you pay a bit of premium, but worth it if for the long-term.

Uro, what bikes do you ride?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]All tools are cool. But the best one is the one you have with you.
I have carried this for 20+ years now and won’t leave home without it:

Gerber L.S.T. Light, Strong and Tough. A handy dandy pocket knife/tool.[/quote]

I carry around my trusty Columbia River folding knife:

knife-depot.com/knife-5836.html

PS, you can even handcarry it onto US-bound flights by hiding it with your change (lots of change). Works every time!

[quote]HGC I have one of those. Dad got 2 as gifts so I inherited early
HGC: yup, I have one just like it, also a knock off, but mine was free… even better.[/quote]

This in no way reduces the significance of my tool, dammit!

HG

[quote=“the chief”]I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free. . . Sheer perfection.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. Granted, a good standard framing hammer sinks big nails in one pound. I’ve got one and am also a big fan. But, my brother builds houses and, like a couple of above posters, is a fan of Japanese and other non-standard hand tools. He’s got a few of these and when I’ve helped him out I’m always torn which hammer to pick up. Maybe not as manly looking – sort of geeky and feminine – but they’ve got better leverage/design/balance and seem to do the job with less effort.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“the chief”]I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free. . . Sheer perfection.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. Granted, a good standard framing hammer sinks big nails in one pound. I’ve got one and am also a big fan. But, my brother builds houses and, like a couple of above posters, is a fan of Japanese and other non-standard hand tools. He’s got a few of these and when I’ve helped him out I’m always torn which hammer to pick up. Maybe not as manly looking – sort of geeky and feminine – but they’ve got better leverage/design/balance and seem to do the job with less effort.

[/quote]

Is that a fibreglass shaft?
I had a foreman who had one of those and swore by it, I could never git comfortable with it, I found the balance kind of funny…he said I was an oaf and didn’t have the necessary finesse to use it properly, and that’s why I only deserved to use the Esty (a glorified tire iron, he called it)…I got no argument with any of that…

One thing, though, I spent a lot of time working on reno crews as a kid, which translated to spending about as much time (if not more) pulling nails as pounding them, and I wouldn’t have wanted anything less than that steel shaft for that job, definitely.