Whats your coolest tool?

The Sawzall is pretty fun; I like using my all-purpose Dremel - very handy tool.

homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto … =100609465

Another cool tool is a wet table saw: pumps water around the saw to minimze friction, heat, etc.: good for cutting ceramic tiles.

my first power tool: a jigsaw.

Man, I miss home depot.

Doubly good because I passed on paying a stupid amount for an original and found a knock off for a quarter of the price.

HG

chief: that Estwing is indeed the world’s best hammer.
HGC: yup, i have one just like it, also a knock off, but mine was free… even better.

edgar allen: i get my park tools from a giant store on MinQuan East Road. for a fancy one like that, they have to order it in… but they can get any park tools in the cattledog.

HGC I have one of those. Dad got 2 as gifts so I inherited early.

Nama I think you win the prize for best too. I just wish you’d stuck and NSFW on it as I won’t be able to stand for a while now.

[quote=“urodacus”]most of my bike tools are extremely use-specific (some wrenches only get used once or twice a year or so) but this one gets my vote for coolest tool.

improved chain tool

i wish I had a whole set of facers and chasers too, but hardly ever need them… and with bikes in multiple sizes, I’d need several of each.[/quote]

Park makes very good tools across the board. Well built and durable. Never had a problem. Course, you pay a bit of premium, but worth it if for the long-term.

Uro, what bikes do you ride?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]All tools are cool. But the best one is the one you have with you.
I have carried this for 20+ years now and won’t leave home without it:

Gerber L.S.T. Light, Strong and Tough. A handy dandy pocket knife/tool.[/quote]

I carry around my trusty Columbia River folding knife:

knife-depot.com/knife-5836.html

PS, you can even handcarry it onto US-bound flights by hiding it with your change (lots of change). Works every time!

[quote]HGC I have one of those. Dad got 2 as gifts so I inherited early
HGC: yup, I have one just like it, also a knock off, but mine was free… even better.[/quote]

This in no way reduces the significance of my tool, dammit!

HG

[quote=“the chief”]I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
I’d like to establish the Just Plain Perfect category.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free. . . Sheer perfection.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. Granted, a good standard framing hammer sinks big nails in one pound. I’ve got one and am also a big fan. But, my brother builds houses and, like a couple of above posters, is a fan of Japanese and other non-standard hand tools. He’s got a few of these and when I’ve helped him out I’m always torn which hammer to pick up. Maybe not as manly looking – sort of geeky and feminine – but they’ve got better leverage/design/balance and seem to do the job with less effort.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“the chief”]I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free. . . Sheer perfection.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. Granted, a good standard framing hammer sinks big nails in one pound. I’ve got one and am also a big fan. But, my brother builds houses and, like a couple of above posters, is a fan of Japanese and other non-standard hand tools. He’s got a few of these and when I’ve helped him out I’m always torn which hammer to pick up. Maybe not as manly looking – sort of geeky and feminine – but they’ve got better leverage/design/balance and seem to do the job with less effort.

[/quote]

Is that a fibreglass shaft?
I had a foreman who had one of those and swore by it, I could never git comfortable with it, I found the balance kind of funny…he said I was an oaf and didn’t have the necessary finesse to use it properly, and that’s why I only deserved to use the Esty (a glorified tire iron, he called it)…I got no argument with any of that…

One thing, though, I spent a lot of time working on reno crews as a kid, which translated to spending about as much time (if not more) pulling nails as pounding them, and I wouldn’t have wanted anything less than that steel shaft for that job, definitely.

I have one of those Dogyu hammers. They’re a piece of work. Best damn hammer I ever had.

i have an old colnago that’s now a single speed, i have a TCR race bike that unfortunately needs a better engine, and i have a couple of other TCRs and montain bikes. i don’t do any mountain biking here: not at all interesteed in downhilling, and the available cross country sucks. (no car). anyone want a Raceline Enduro hardtail? excellent condition, 16,000.

i have more frames and stuff, and more tools, in Aus.

i prefer that estwing hammer to anything with a wood or fiberglass shaft, as they’re pretty much indestructible. used to use one on stage, as a hammer (of course) but also, and more often, as a jimmy bar, a wedge, a screw and nail puller, a crow bar, etc… all thnigs that would have trashed a two piece hammer.

Originally I was going to say this

Compact, and when combine with a pair of plyers, duxt tape, and a soft hammer, can fix anything.

But then, this tool is much more amusing:

The 2cycle gas powered blender

[quote=“Elegua”]
But then, this tool is much more amusing:

The 2cycle gas powered blender[/quote]

You have one of those?

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]

Nama I think you win the prize for best too. I just wish you’d stuck and NSFW on it as I won’t be able to stand for a while now.[/quote]

My appologies. I forget that people look at f.com at work also :blush:

But seriously, being the foodie I am, the best ‘tool’ i have in my house is this:zojirushi rice cooker

Dear God, does this thing cook a mean bowl of rice…

Yea, that’s a beauty Nama.

Speaking of kitchen “tools”, I’ve got a Champion juicer in my storage locker back “home”. Talk about rugged. The thing weighs a ton and is completely indestructible. I bought some other brand juicer here and it’s cheap, plastic crap by comparison.

Yeah! I still have mine back home. Wish I had it here. These fiberglass shafts and inferior metal peens don’t get the job done right.
with you on this, Chief!

[quote=“the chief”]I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free.
I reckon I’ve spent more time with my paw wrapped around one of these (I can’t believe I gave all my tools away when I left, fucking doof) than around the current AND ex-Mrs. combined.
Sheer perfection.[/quote]

1. Delta Unisaw - check out Grizzley.com
  2. Delta cut off saw set up in a large shop with the proper table.

It seems on balance like the Hammers have our favourite vote - after Nama’s special tool of course.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Yea, that’s a beauty Nama.

Speaking of kitchen “tools”, I’ve got a Champion juicer in my storage locker back “home”. Talk about rugged. The thing weighs a ton and is completely indestructible. I bought some other brand juicer here and it’s cheap, plastic crap by comparison.

[/quote]

I’ve heard that Champion juicers are good. I just can’t fork over the cash. Some people like to use this also to juice.

I’ve read really good reviews about this. It’s Solostar.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Back home, my Sawzall. Cuts wood, metal, plastic, nails, cement, you name it.

[/quote]

I’m with you here…Off-road tires won’t clear fenderwells? Wanna clop the top off of a 4 door 1962 Buick LeSabre and drive it into a a quarry while on fire?