Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

Supposedly a good day old bread is better for the stomach then just baked, out of the oven one … would there be any scientific research about that …?

I don’t know. You’re the bloody expert.

It’s 3:15, and I’m hungry. Are you going to give me directions to your bloody bread shop or not? I can leave now and spend two and a half hours gorging myself on your patio, or I can go out and find something crap to eat before driving to Sanxia.

Buttercup, you know I don’t wear pyjamas. That would only be appropriate for “round the mountain” but I’m coming over it.

[quote=“Loretta”]
Buttercup, you know I don’t wear pyjamas. That would only be appropriate for “round the mountain” but I’m coming over it.[/quote]

Ew! Guess I asked for that one…

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Loretta”]
Buttercup, you know I don’t wear pyjamas. That would only be appropriate for “round the mountain” but I’m coming over it.[/quote]

Ew! Guess I asked for that one…[/quote]

The way to a man’s heart is to ask for that.

I have NEVER smelled fresh baked bread in a bakery in Taiwan. That for me is the clincher.
The smell of fresh baked bread. Even the better places don’t have that smell because they are almost all chains. To make fresh baked bread from original ingredients is labour intensive, since nobody here cares anyway why would they bother. Plus it costs more and right now everybody is very cost conscious. I can see my local remnant left over from Wecare collapse will also close soon as its bread selection gets less and less and the size of the loaves decrease while the price decreases.

That two week old bread you have in the US sounds pretty scary Tommy. Taiwan sliced bread lasts about 5 days and that’s a fairly long time too. It depends on the humidity. When I lived in Sweden it turned into a rock in 3 days. Here it turns into a mould factory.
BTW, did anybody notice how long the milk keeps here, it must be loaded with antibiotics. It keeps twice as long as my home country but supposedly is using the same pasteurisation.

I guess modern man has lost a lot of fine living. Like us in the Bay Area? We dont have many bakeries around at all (I dont remember last seeing one). And if we want bread we go to supermarkets to buy them. And its the same brands. The best is Oroweat. And those are all made in huge bread factories and trucked long distances . They all have a long shelf life. No telling how long ago they were made, and they customarily last over two weeks before getting slightly moldy. I guess the market here is not designed for fresh bread. There are virtually no local bakeries and you can only find bread in supermarkets basically. Made in large factories and trucked hundreds of miles even. Long shelf life built in means only one thing…preservatives!!!

We do have some bakeries around but they only bake and sell cakes and cookies (hugely expensive at 3 dollars a piece of cake) and some breakfast scones and the like. NO sliced bread or other fancy breads.

I remember in Taiwan if we buy sliced bread, they have to be frozen the next day in order to keep, and when I got here and noticed how long sliced bread lasts around here? I was wondering already if they were packed with preservatives.

Taiwanese milk does not go sour. Another reason to not touch the stuff.

Ask? Hahaha.

Maybe you should offer dating advice L? Start a thread in IP, or something.

[quote=“tommy525”]I guess modern man has lost a lot of fine living. Like us in the Bay Area? We dont have many bakeries around at all (I don’t remember last seeing one). And if we want bread we go to supermarkets to buy them. And its the same brands. The best is Oroweat. And those are all made in huge bread factories and trucked long distances . They all have a long shelf life. No telling how long ago they were made, and they customarily last over two weeks before getting slightly moldy. I guess the market here is not designed for fresh bread. There are virtually no local bakeries and you can only find bread in supermarkets basically. Made in large factories and trucked hundreds of miles even. Long shelf life built in means only one thing…preservatives!!!

We do have some bakeries around but they only bake and sell cakes and cookies (hugely expensive at 3 dollars a piece of cake) and some breakfast scones and the like. NO sliced bread or other fancy breads.

I remember in Taiwan if we buy sliced bread, they have to be frozen the next day in order to keep, and when I got here and noticed how long sliced bread lasts around here? I was wondering already if they were packed with preservatives.[/quote]

That’s shockin’ Tommy, Taiwan rates higher than the US in your book. Ireland still has quite a few independent and local bakeries. The actual baking on the premises is getting rarer and rarer though. I grew up beside one of the most famous bakeries in Ireland and went to school with the smell of fresh baked bread everyday.
No wonder one American lady I met said you loved the food in Ireland, I couldn’t understand what she meant at first because to me it’s very basic compared to the European continent.
The other reason in the US is that bread has such a bad name with the popularisation of the Atkin’s diet, I mean it’s not as bad as cakes and donuts and coke and cereals etc. and it’s made from fresh ingredients if the real stuff…don’t know why people are so against it.

I’ve been to Wendels today (Taipei German bakery with real Germans making the bread) and learned they have a online store !! Apparently delivery cost is 100 NT.

See store.wendels-bakery.com/

Now I don’t have to travel expensively to Taipei anymore and freeze a bunch of bread for a month but can consider biweekly deliveries from them :slight_smile:

Its really the best bread I’ve found in Taiwan so far, Orange Market in Hsinchu is still second place after them.

Wendel’s is great. Used to pop in there a lot for some German sausage (I know, there’s no ‘ladylike’ way to say that’). Really good bread.

Don’t worry about ladylike, German sausage is worth it ^^ (Even though in the Weisswurst the veal is replaced by other meat, since veal is so expensive here… still tastes good)

But honestly, what do the bread experts here say on Michael Wendel’s bread? I only can say the Kosacken Loaf tastes very similar to the dark, humid breads that I loved back home. Damn, I really need to get an oven and make my own bread again. So easy, so good… Time for a Brotzeit :wink:

And RT mart. And there’s also a bakery next to the food court below the Neihu Carrefour (a couple blocks back behind the Minquan Bridge Costco) with good-looking European-style breads without the oil.

And if you’re in Taoyuan Cty., here’s a blog and another on an interesting place in Luzhu to check out (Luzhu, Nanping St. #58, near the Nankan Interchange). They specialize in traditional European breads, reportedly:
野上麵包 Nogami
桃園縣蘆竹鄉南平街58號,近南崁交流道
03 3120 433
特色:天然酵母歐式麵包

Johan in Shin Kong Mitsukoshi department stores is really good for Italian bread. The little sweet croissants are good too.

Lugar home bread bar has great bread, but they’re not cheap.
The new stuff in Carrefour really isn’t half bad

But it’s not east of Jianguo.

Address?[/quote]
Isn’t it a chain? Anyway, there’s one on Zhongxiao E. Rd, on the north side of the street, a few blocks east of Keelung (Jilong), just past the gas station. Not great but really not bad. I quite like the dark rye.[/quote]

Just ate at Schwarzwald (their spelling) German Restaurant down Alley 112 off Anhe Sec 1 (the alley across from China Pa about 2 doors down from where Mamm Goz used to be) - their website is swarzwald.com (again their spelling). They’re selling real tasty and rich rye (which they make into fantastic garlic rye for meals), but it’s something high priced like 280 a loaf. Owner seems real nice tho, maybe she’ll cut you a discount…

Also, I did a quick internet search and Forumosa search and couldn’t come up with a location on Uma Orsel - this post is a couple years old, anyone have an update?

We are in Lotus Hill and the wife has a small franchise selling home-baked whole wheat bread for about a dozen residents. (If you live here and would like to try, drop me a PM.) Just a simple bread, nothing particularly spectacular. She sells ~2 medium-sized loaves for only NT$70 (I think) and she’s been customizing sizes for different customers. Also, seems everyone wants raisins in their bread lately so she’s been putting raisins. At home for me she adds chopped sunflower seeds, flaxseed, maybe some cranberries depending on our tastes. What I like best about it is that I know what is, or is not, going into the bread. No hydrogenated oils, no preservatives. If you want something in particular, just ask. As long as she can find the ingredients, she’s game.

For peanut butter lovers, she also sells a blended peanut-almond butter that is simply to die for. If you are living in Lotus Hill and still buying peanut butter from a store well, you deserve to die young from clogged arteries. :wink: I’ve never tasted any better than hers, and she has a few customers that are simply addicted

Holy smokes that’s good bread! You’ve got yourseelf a regular customer! :thumbsup:

Hey Opihiman, TwoTongues is looking for pumpernickel. Any chance of that? I haven’t been able to find real pumpernickel flour in Taibei so far. :idunno:

Pumpernickel hmmm … now that sounds like a wild goose chase! :laughing:

But seriously, the wife does the cooking, and I’ve been asking for real rye bread … but we need to source a ready supply of flour … or is it seed? I’ll post something here if we have a breakthrough. It is easy enough to have friends bring some over from the US or wherever, but given the wife is selling her product, we’d like to find a ready supply here in Taiwan so we are not always running out. I’ll post something here if we have a breakthrough.

Making real rye bread isn’t a problem; see the Bake Your Own Bread threadfor info on where to get rye flour and to share recipes and results.

(The best deal for whole rye flour is AFAIK the DIY baking supply near the Minquan bridge. If you order in advance with a minimum of 2kg they’ll sell it at $110/kg, or $100/kg if at least 10kg. It’s finely ground whole rye, though, not pumpernickel flour. Bob’s Red Mill light rye flour is available at Wellman’s for about $210 a bag.)