Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

We Care is a chain of bakeries. Stores can be found throughout Taipei.

IMHO, Twins (another chain) has much better bread than We Care. But Costco has the best bagels. And you can get Philly cream cheese there as well.

The multi-Grain brown bread at Costco makes yummy sandwiches. Goes great with the roast chicken and avos on offer.

ā€œUptownsā€ on FuXing (near the ZhongShan Middle School MRT) also does wonderful bread. Again, they have the usual Taiwna take on bread but loads of baguettes, multiā€™s, rye, scotch, crusty etc. They sometimes even have bread and butter pudding.

I spent years looking for good bread. Iā€™ve tried I think nearly all those bakeries mentioned on this thread and theyā€™re really not that good IMHO. We Care bread is only great in comparison with the sweet pap elsewhere. Couple of years ago I bought a breadmaker (NT$2,500) and have never looked back. Takes three minutes to measure the ingredients, three hours to produce a perfect loaf. Has a timer so I can wake up to fresh crusty bread. Makes pizza dough too. Last week was rye bread with a crust of sunflower seeds. Bags of mixed grains, different flours are easy to find.

Marmalade I started doing myself too because I like it very tangy. Is easy to make in the microwave. Wait till Youzi season (pomelo?) in autumn and cook up a big batch. Again, only takes a few minutes.

1 Like

I went to the latter on the way home from work this evening, bought one of their multigrain loaves, and ate half of it for dinner with cheese and tomatoes. Yep, it was good ā€“ as good as anything Iā€™ve eaten in Taipei (though still some way short of the best in the West). Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be buying their bread regularly in the future ā€“ at least until I get a breadmaker and see if it can turn out something even better.

There is a GOD.

Finally found a place in Taiwan that does fantastic bread. NOT sweet bread, not bead that is soft a week after you buy it, not bread that has no flavor or MILK flavored bread whatever that is, not imitation bread like Marks German Bakery but real fresh bread.

Only one problem it is on Chung Shan nort road Section 5 next to a Carefour.

The bakery has so many frsh breads and real fruit cakes that youā€™ll be wondering what you have been eating all the time in Taipei., OH and excellent homemade jam. A German baker is usually there overseeing everything. a friendly chap.

And get this, when I was asking an older lady behind the counter about the breads, she cut up 3 loaves to let me taste them - service or what!

Some breads are not cheap, but others, an excellent Ciabatta, apple cake, and Tuna buns will ROCK your world! I usually end up buying a load each week and throwing it in the freezer.

I thought I discovered a well kept secret, but it seems a lot of foreigners know this palce by the number who came in when I was eating a fab chicken salad!

The best way is the MRT if you donā€™t have a bike. 3 mins walk from the station.

The breadā€™s even better if you have a glass of Warsteiner along with it. Yum.

Sounds great. Which MRT station though?

Is it just me, or did that strike others as unintentionally funny?

Have you guys tried the pastries in Sun Merry (

Backerii - as mentioned by a few people above and myself is excellent!

Cant remember the MRT station!

Wish he open a Taipei shop!

MRT station for B

Hotel Landis on Minchuan East Road Section 2 at Chilin Road has a very nice western style bakery. Off to the right of the lobby from the main entrance, or go in the side entrance on Chilin Road and itā€™s right there. Decent french bread, whole wheat bread, wonderful hazelnut bread pastry. They also have the ubiquitous milk bread, but it isnā€™t as sweet as the usual stuff. Since it is small they often run out of things at different parts of the day. They also have chocolates and cakes, but never tried them.

As to the others mentioned:

Florida bakery- I like it, but the french bread is more US supermarket style, not really authentic.

Twins- I love their whole grain wheat and raisin loaf. Ah!

Costco- good bagels and muffins just like US

I donā€™t think anyone mentioned Yamazaki. They have good french bread, though it dries out very quickly, and the closest thing Iā€™ve seen to a decent donut in Taiwan. Decent donuts are about the only thing I havenā€™t found yet in Taiwan. Anyways, they have one in the basement of Sogo, and one in Taipei Main Station near the fast food restaurants between the MRT and train stations.

Someone mentioned giving up on good marmalades. Have you tried the hero brand jellies that have been showing up lately? Imported from Switzerland and a bit expensive, but they are quite good.

hi, does anyone know of a bakerey that does good buns, bread. i heard of a European guy (Italian i think) in tien mu who does good breads.
cheers

Everything you need right here

Is there such a thing as a bakery that opens in the morning?

I have a yamazaki around the corner, but the croissants are the first thing out of the oven and that doesnā€™t happen until after 10am. Howā€™s a man gonna get bread for breakfast?

Most local bakeries are open early in the morning to serve their customers(most of them around my house). Do you have a toaster or small oven at home?? If you do, you can buy the bread a night before and toast it in the morning. Lots of bakeries gave speical discounts when it is closing time so they donā€™t throw away the bread. Check it out.

[quote=ā€œLarsen Niā€]
IMHO, Twins (another chain) has much better bread than We Care.[/quote]

Twins are no longer in business. I hope none of you guys got the certificates because they are pretty much useless now.

Since when?

Mmmā€¦the wheat and raisin loaf with peanut butter smothered all overā€¦I think I might go buy some right now for dinner!

It was on the TV news tonight. My chinese is pretty bad so I didnā€™t catch the details. Mostly about people with worthless gift certificates.

It was on the TV news tonight. My Chinese is pretty bad so I didnā€™t catch the details. Mostly about people with worthless gift certificates.[/quote]

Twins so a lot of those certificates and the owner took the money and ran away. Havenā€™t paid his employees for the past 2 months. I think it was my dad who jinx it since he was just there the day before they closed. :laughing: