Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

I’m desperate for a good, thick English Muffin. Don’t send me to Costco or Jason’s for Tomas’s. I tried that, and they were disappointingly much smaller and thinner than I remembered. I also tried Florida’s version–even more disappointing. The Mrs. Shannen’s English Muffins I bought in Beijing earlier this year were oh-so-cheap, and by far the best I’ve had in a long time.

Help?!

Landis has english muffins NT20 each, though they are big and fluffy. I’ll let you know tomorrow how they taste. (I like Thomas’s English Muffins, though the ones you get here have been frozen.)

Big and fluffy might be okay, as long as it’s not quite so big and fluffy (and floury) as Florida’s. (And perhaps a tad bigger and fluffier than big fluffy matthew :laughing: )

You’ve got an excellent point about the Tomas’s muffins being frozen. Didn’t think of that.

Let me know about the Landis version. Thanks! :smiley:

Unfortunately it was more like an english muffin-shaped dinner roll. Fine as a dinner roll, but no english muffin.

Wow, jlick, very disappointing indeed. But thanks for letting me know. I guess I’ll have to stick to the pain au chocolat… ?

Scooter:

What are you talking about? The pain au chocolat is bread/pastry. Don’t you know anything? Why don’t you like pain auf dem chocolat? I like pain du chocolat? Do you have something against chocolate? or bread? I mean this is the bread forum so we should be able to talk about bread and breads with chocolate as long as they are still bread, don’t you agree? And pain means bread in French and chocolat means chocolate in French and when you put them together you get pain des aux le la ein der au chocolat and another thing the cow jumped over the moon is a nursery rhyme. I mean the cow did not really jump over the moon, it’s just a story. Do you understand now?

Maybe I’d better steer clear of the Landis after all. Judging from Fred’s last post, they’re putting far too much tartrazine into their products.

The cow jumped over the moon is from a nursery rhyme? I thought it was true. Other than that Fred has made a very strong apolitical point regarding the discussion of bread in the bread forum. Very well put.

Um, no. No idea what you are talking about.

I was merely searching for an English muffin that would pass the test. In the absense of such, I would settle for pain au chocolat which I hear DOES taste nice at the Landis (unlike the aforementioned English muffin). There’s been no mistake about the breadiness of pain au chocolat.

But then again, you are the expert on French foods. Perhaps you can bring a REAL pain au chocolat for me when you come back from France? :laughing:

Scooter:

What are you referring to? I would never set foot in that traitorous nation of France. NEVER EVER NEVER.

…now both feet that might be a different matter…

Sandman: What is tatrazine and where can I buy it? You are not thinking of thorzine are you? That’s what they used to give me in the mental ward when I starting talking about politics. I used to be a Democrat you see and (stick!) ouch! annnnnddddd then aum adsfuomsadflkjxxxxxxx

[quote=“fred smith”]Scooter:

What are you referring to? I would never set foot in that traitorous nation of France. NEVER EVER NEVER.

…now both feet that might be a different matter…[/quote]

You aren’t actually ADMITTING that you are going to France, now, are you? Alert the presses! And try to buy the pain au chocolat as close to your return trip as possible (preferably the same day??)

And then what? You lost your mind?

Moderators help!!!

How is it possible that Fred Smith could go to France?!!! It is all an evil rumor spread by the nasty Scooter and what kind of a name is that anyway?

I will be sure and bring some pain au chocolat back from France scooter. Oh yes, I will. What evil rumors you spread as if I Fred Smith would be caught dead in the evil traitorous nation of France?! Quel idee! C’est increible?! Comment est-ce que possible? Nom de Dieu!

But back to bread :slight_smile: I’ve just become a big fan of the sliced bread at the Jason’s 101 bakery (not to be confused with that Yamazaki thing outside the Grand Mart). It’s just good, normal sliced bread like you’d find at a supermarket back home. Every other sliced loaf I’ve tried to date has been inedible - way too sweet, including the ones at Florida (bagels and baguettes there were nice though). The stuff at Jason’s has a very slight sweetish aftertaste, if you look for it, but nothing you can taste while you’re eating it, and it’s solid and wheaty and like eating bread and not pastry. I bought two loaves on Saturday… and went back yesterday for another three to go in the freezer :slight_smile: Yay, toast again!

You’re setting your sights too low. There are still some fine men out there, although as far as good conversation goes, with some of them you’d probably be better off with the bread.

Any We Care in Xinyi District?

I’m a European and im practically sick of eating the american loaf and look alike European bread that when u put your knife through collapses into a pancake or soaks up water like a swamp.

I need some rough tough European bread that actually gives some resistance when biting into it and has a taste. No not loaf! Ive been here for several years and still have not found a place for good bread. Anyone know and want to share?

I share your sentiments. There is an existing thread on this topic, however… Next time, do a search. :wink:

7-11 has some pretty good stuff.

Try Wendels German Bakery in Tienmu…

The bread there is nice and tough and last several days. I rather like it.

It’s close to the Carrefour. 5 Deh Shing West Rad, Tienmu

Ph 02 2831 4477

Michael Wendel 0932 237 377

You must be joking… 7/11 is one of the worst offender for having E Coli and other bad inflences in their food. It’s been in the local papers recently that the fast food shops like 7/11 and OK have been poisoning people for ages.

The health standards are shocking.

And the bread there is crap.