Where can I find someone to bid at ruten.com.tw for me?

Forgive the double post-bump…but I’m guessing it’s no go on even that, eh? :\

Well, if so, thank you for your time folks, sorry for barging in like I did.

If I recall correctly, Ruten requires a Taiwan ID and rejects my ARC #, which is why I don’t have an account. Most of the people here will be in the same boat and can’t help you. Among the remainder, those who suspect a scam aren’t likely to read this thread, and those who might be willing to help may not read Mandarin well enough to navigate the linked page to find a contact link. Finally, the ones with local wives may have already asked them to help strangers like you umpteen million times and don’t want to pester the missus again (sorry!).

Kung Fu Man, for what it’s worth, you sound genuine to me. It’s just that, as DB pointed out, most of us are not actually in a position to help you out, as it’s extremely hard for foreigners to sign up for and/or use Ruten.

Crap! Just when I found some bargains on ruten…
I can’t even sign up! sigh

Time to marry a local. :wink:

Has anyone actually tried to sign up for Ruten? There are work-arounds I’ve been instructed to use for other sites. For Skype out (pcHome), I had to contact them. They told me to send them a scanned copy of my passport (necessary as anti-fraud measure in lieu of local ID number). I did so and registered the account. For books.com.tw, they asked me to register as overseas with a made-up address in order to get the system to take my ID number. I be willing to bet if I, or anyone here contacted ruten, they’d offer a work-around.

Edit:

I wrote the above as information only for members of the international community who may desire to sign up for certain local websites that require registration. Do not send me requests to buy things for you. I am not willing.

If I recall correctly, the “Contact us” link requires that you sign in first before you can use it, as does Paypal’s, if I recall correctly, so if you have trouble registering or logging in, you can’t contact them. :loco: In Paypal’s case I had to make a couple expensive, long-distance calls to the US to sort things out. In Ruten’s case I said ‘screw them’. :fume:

BTW, their contact phone number shows on their home page on the computer of a local I know who has an account, even when he is not logged in, but does not show on the same page on my computer, even if I use the exact same link, so I think that registering puts a cookie on your PC which then enables display of the contact info. If this is true, they are very protective of their contact info – which is, by the way, 02-5558-9168.

Ruten is PCHome. I managed to register with them for skype out. I’m more than certain I could do the same for the ruten site. “Screw them” is an immature response. They don’t want to have to inconvenience you or any other foreigner. They are under strict government orders to verify the identity of users to stop scammers. It isn’t their fault if our ARCs won’t work for the purpose. Blame the issuing authorities of ARC numbers, not the sites who have to follow the laws.

I’ll thank you not to comment on me personally. :s “Screw them” is IMO a reasonable reaction to the unfriendliness of any business which intentionally makes it difficult for potential customers to contact them. Requiring that people sign in before they can access contact information is asinine – as I’ve pointed out, people may need to contact them if they’re having trouble registering or logging in. I have other places I can do business with.

I’ll thank you not to comment on me personally. :s “Screw them” is IMO a reasonable reaction to the unfriendliness of any business which intentionally makes it difficult for potential customers to contact them. Requiring that people sign in before they can access contact information is asinine – as I’ve pointed out, people may need to contact them if they’re having trouble registering or logging in. I have other places I can do business with.[/quote]

I am not commenting on you personally, simply your writing. Your RESPONSE is smug and immature in nature and completely ignores the fact that certain local websites that handle communications and ecommerce are under strict orders to gather verifiable data about their users for anti-fraud purposes. Screw them indeed. If it really were your intention to use the site, you’d have more than one way to do so.

[quote]I be willing to bet if I, or anyone here contacted ruten, they’d offer a work-around.
[/quote]
WRONG! I did exactly that and the response was basically “fuck off, big nose. No dogs, no foreigners!” So indeed. Not screw 'em. FUCK 'em. Stupid cunts. :fume:

I’ll comment on service providers however the hell I damn well please. :hand:

[quote=“Toasty”] Your RESPONSE is smug and immature in nature and completely ignores the fact that certain local websites that handle communications and ecommerce are under strict orders to gather verifiable data about their users for anti-fraud purposes.[/quote]Have they been ordered to make it difficult for non registered people to contact them? If anyone has difficulties registering, there is no way to contact them. That’s not customer friendly at all.

I’m of a mind to agree with RIT on this one. I have relied on Japanese friends to help me purchase from online Japanese websites and that’s no different than what the OP is asking here.

HOWEVER…I would say there should be an unspoken rule within the expat community: the provider and the purchaser should have some kind of understanding, a relationship of some sort, first. And the purchaser should give cash for the purchase before the provider gets on the website and makes the purchase.

Having said that, I guess I would say, if I am going by the rule above, I would NEVER post on a public forum and ask for help buying online…OK, never mind, forget what I said. The OP is out of line. How is it I talk myself out of these arguments? I suck at this.

I sent a message to Ruten (not easy navigating the customer service section) asking if there was any way for me to register with only an ARC. They wrote back saying that Taiwan citizens with ID number and a Taiwan phone number can register.

Yahoo Auctions doesn’t have this problem, but I notice there are many more sellers of computer products on Ruten than Yahoo (why is this? cheaper commissions?), so I am getting screwed out of some options.

My Taiwanese friends don’t use Ruten. If I just wanted one or two things, it’d probably be fine, but this is an ongoing hobby and I would really prefer my own account.

I’ve had an account I made with a fake ID number for years, they really have no way of knowing until you want to do something more advanced like accept payments through their system. You can generate your fake Taiwan ID here:

people.debian.org/~paulliu/ROCid.html

Just make sure you keep that number on record for access later on.

Hi, You can find us to bid for you!
We are Taiwan Shopping Service/Spree Agent with the most affordable price online.

Please see the followings for the pricing for Ruten.
Exchange Rate: USD1:NT26
Exchange Rate: SGD1:NT22

1 or 2 Auction : $4/Auction
3 to 4 Auction: $3/Auction
5 or more Auction: $2.50/Auction

Payment Method for customer outside Singapore: Paypal

We will help you liaise with the seller, transfer funds and send out the items from Taiwan to your doorstep using Taiwan Post.
(Chinese-English Translation included.)
You just tell us what you want and provide us with the link. That’s all! We will do all the work for you to bid and get the items from Ruten!!
Email: team@im-bella.com
Efficient, Good Service and Trustworthy.

I couldn’t really find any information regarding pricing on the im-bella site (which is a bit of a mess in my not so humble opinion) - but I’ll go ahead and put myself out there, I’ll help anyone buy something from Ruten or Yahoo Taiwan auctions for 100NT + 5% of the item cost. You’ll be able to either:

1. Pay for the auction directly
  2. Pick up the item at a 7-11 and pay for it at the time of pickup (if the seller supports this option)

For my portion a bank transfer will suffice. Simple as that! Email me at drvelocity@gmail.com if you’re interested.

viewtopic.php?f=156&t=102045

Coincidence?

Thank you Belgian Pie, I just got in touch with him. :slight_smile: