Where can I go swimming this time of year?

For exercise, I prefer to swim. I was using the Dongmen pool on Xinyi Rd. opposite CKS Memorial Hall, but they shut down for the winter at the end of October. The greatest thing about this place was that it cost only NT$50 to get in for a swim.

I haven’t found another pool yet and I can feel the meat on my body starting to sag and my energy level declining. I live near the Chunghsiao Dunhua MRT stop, and I work near the Hsinpu MRT stop.

Does anyone know of a pool near either of these locations that is open right now and reasonably priced? I don’t care whether it’s indoors or outdoors, nor whether it’s heated.

thanks,

a fish too long out of water

The Youth Park pools are cool, but unfortunately they also close the outdoor pool in winter. In summer it’s only NT$60, but I think they raise the price in winter.

My health club has a year-round pool, but the membership cost is $18,000/year ($49.31/day and they gave me additional 6 months for free). That gives you daily access to the pool (except on the 1st Monday of every month for cleaning) as well as the fitness equipment. It’s on Dun Hua S. Rd. just past Xin Yi Rd.

From my experience…Taiwan’s indoor pools are not HEATED! Might as well swim outside!

so… “indoor pool” and “outdoor pool”
when u get up from a indoor ppol… at least it’s not as cold as the out side one :unamused: :mrgreen: (maybe u’re paying for the heat inside of the room?)

The ones at health clubs are usually heated. My Island has heated pools for example. They are expensive though (roughly NT300 per visit if you use the coupon book).

This sounds promising. Do they do half-year memberships? What exactly is it called? Do you have a phone number?

Many thanks.

The Youth Park indoor pool is heated, it’s NT$110 a visit or 30 coupons for about NT$2400…

Click here for a post I made a long time ago which has some links to other swimming threads as well.

Since I made that post Youth Park has been rennovated. It’s now a bit nicer and also has some water massage/spa things next to the indoor pool. With a 50M half laned half play indoor pool, 50M laned outdoor pool, 25M outdoor play pool, and kiddies pool, Youth Park is definitely the best value for money, but I don’t like the changing rooms and hate the cold water showers.

I really like My Island a lot now. It has water massagers, spas, hot pools, saunas, kiddie play pool (with current and a water slide) and a really nice swimming pool. (Don’t ask me exactly why it’s nice - the water just feels clean and cimfortable). The price is a factor, at 500NT for weekends, 400NT for week and 350NT for students, but you can get around this by buying a ticket book. A book 10 weekday and 10 weekend tickets will cost 7000NT. That’s 350NT a ticket, but two people can use one ticket, so (as long as there’s an even number of you), that’s just 175NT a ticket. Not bad at all really. Oh, the changing rooms are really nice too. The one at Shilin MRT station us easier to get too, but the one in Zhong He is bigger and nicer. Here’s the address:

Zhong He City, Zhong Zheng Rd, Number 1184 (if you head along Zhonghe’s Zhongshan Rd, turn right when you hit Zhong Zheng Rd (which has the freeway running over it) and it’s not far past that. Open til 1AM.

Finally, aside form spas and gyms, the only pool that I know of that is open at lunchtimes is the one at Shida Uni - but it’s fairly expensive for non-students.

Brian

Where is the Youth Park? How do you get there by public transport?

Get a membership at Hollywood Fitness in Tienmou. Starting Dec 15, they will have a heated pool. They also have a hot-tub outside.

Chewy

There is a facility next to the Burger King and the Central Motion Picture Studio by the National Palace Museum.
They have a deal whereby you pay NT$9,000 and get use of all sections of the place, including heated pool, saunas, jacuzzi and a small weight room. There are other options too.
28826730-6

The showers in the Youth Park have had hot water since I’ve started going a couple of months ago.
To get there by bus, there are several choices…from Hsimending (or Taipei Main Station) you can catch the 223, 212, 670, 671 (going away from Taipei Main Station). That’s about the easiest way I know. Someone more familar should be able to give better directions.

Thanks for the information everyone. I was really hoping for something near a stop on the blue MRT line, but I guess it’s really difficult to find just the right swimming facilities in the winter in Taipei.

I’ve decided it would be more worth it for me to use the Youth Park and/or My Island, until the NT50/visit pool next to CKS opens up again. Hopefully they’ll open up before I need to buy more than two My Island ticket books!

In a post in the archives, there was mentioned a Chinese street map with the locations of pools marked with symbols. Is it still possible to buy this map?

I live at Zhongxiao Dunhua and go to Zhongshan Sports Center. The facility is city run, has been open less than a year. It has an adequate gym for only NT50 each time. There’s no membership fee or contract. Just go when you like and pay when you go. They have numerous classes from yoga to dancing and more. The pool is great. You can do lengths and the water is a comfortable temperature. There’s a wet and dry sauna -separate for males and females, cool tub, hot tub, kiddies area and a great jetted pool area. All this for only NT110. Oh, and lockers are NT10.

Take the red line north to Shuanglian. Go out exit 1, turn right and see a lovely walkway. Follow this to the second down ramp on the left. Cross the lane and go up the side street. You’ll see some huge, colorful, stand alone hmmm, what the heck would you call them…art objects? Not sure but you can’t miss them. Alternatively, after exiting the MRT station, turn right and walk up Minsheng to the first traffic lights. Turn right and walk for 5 minutes most to the next major intersection. Turn right on the side street and it’s down there on your left.

I decided to go with the Chungshan Sports Center, which autumn489 recommended. This is a pretty good facility and everything is spacious and clean.

Just a warning for those wanting to check it out: they let senior citizens in for free from 8-10 am every day. During this time, the pool is packed with old people, most of them swimming very slowly and spitting into the gutters after every length they swim. If you mind that sort of thing, avoid going during those times.

Thanks!

I just went to look around - they let you see the gym area without having to pay. My chinese is terrible but my bf told me that the gym is NT$50 an hour…no problem for me since I will only be there an hour.
A quick question autumn, do you know if they have showers for the gym? I didn’t really see a shower area and forgot to find out. Seems strange not to have one but then again. :laughing:
Either way, I’ll go back on my day off. Thanks for the info. :wink:

Anyone happens to have the address of this Zhongshan Sports Center. I’d like to check it out, sounds great. Thanks

It’s all in chinese but there is a map, etc.

cyc.org.tw/cssc/index_inside.htm

[quote=“aprimo”]For exercise, I prefer to swim. I was using the Dongmen pool on Xinyi Rd. opposite CKS Memorial Hall, but they shut down for the winter at the end of October. The greatest thing about this place was that it cost only NT$50 to get in for a swim.

I haven’t found another pool yet and I can feel the meat on my body starting to sag and my energy level declining. I live near the Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT stop, and I work near the HsinPu (Xinpu) MRT stop.

Does anyone know of a pool near either of these locations that is open right now and reasonably priced? I don’t care whether it’s indoors or outdoors, nor whether it’s heated.

thanks,

a fish too long out of water[/quote]