Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“pgdaddy1”]
But you should know, Jessica, that about 99% of the people posting here are foreign, not Taiwanese.[/quote][/quote] Really, where were do local Taiwanese go to chat and meet people online?

It’s good that you are asking questions on this forum before you decide to spend all that money and go and live in Taiwan. Take a look at the threads here, not just in the Dating and Relationships section but also Life in Taiwan and you will get a better idea of whether it is the kind of place you want to go to !

Yes many Taiwanese do appear to be afraid of foreigners (but not afraid to point out the presence of a foreigner and make said foreigner feel uncomfortable !), but actually it is the foreigners themselves who are even more afraid of other foreigners. If that doesn’t make sense to you now, it will should you go to Taiwan.

Finally I hope that you can get to meet some genuinely friendly people on these boards who would like to make friends with you; this could be difficult though because most people come to complain about their own relationships or philosophise about the dating situation in Taiwan and the opposite sex. You probably realise that from some of the answers you got already.

And watch out for a poster called Sandman. He really does play in a band but when he talks about swinging it’s not necessarily the musical kind.[/quote]

your right it seems like people are not really looking to make new friends here, im not sure where you go on this site to look for friends… but im still going to see what i get. thanks for the pointers

[quote=“JessicaRabbit”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“pgdaddy1”]
But you should know, Jessica, that about 99% of the people posting here are foreign, not Taiwanese.[/quote][/quote] Really, where were do local Taiwanese go to chat and meet people online?[/quote]
You can try the Chinese-language section of the www.Taiwaneasia.com forums. Of course, its in Chinese. But if you’re looking to hook up with Taiwanese people online, you’re pretty much going to have to do it in Chinese. Or advertise for language exchanges or something like that.

You could also try Forumosa Friends http://friends.forumosa.com/public/home.jhtml

Forumosa hosts a brunch very Sunday and our famous Happy Hours will soon be back in full swing. We are way softer irl than on our keyboards. Welcome to the flob Ms Rabbit.

I will say “shy” rather, and I think it would be the language problem, anyway, I am not afraid of making friend with foreigners (even my english is that good enough), in fact, I have some foreigners, one is actually my colleague’s husband, and we occasionally hit the bar during the weekend.

If you want to make friend in Taiwan to hangout, I will be willing to meet you somewhere in Taipei and if you don’t mind let 's have a group hangout, and I would like to introduce my friends to you as well.

Mason

[quote=“Stewart Pendous”]Forumosa hosts a brunch very Sunday and our famous Happy Hours will soon be back in full swing. We are way softer irl than on our keyboards. Welcome to the flob Ms Rabbit.[/quote] that sounds really fun. I would love to go once i get there, thanks for the info ^-^

I will say “shy” rather, and I think it would be the language problem, anyway, I am not afraid of making friend with foreigners (even my english is that good enough), in fact, I have some foreigners, one is actually my colleague’s husband, and we occasionally hit the bar during the weekend.

If you want to make friend in Taiwan to hangout, I will be willing to meet you somewhere in Taipei and if you don’t mind let 's have a group hangout, and I would like to introduce my friends to you as well.

Mason[/quote] Really thats awesome, im not there yet and im still studying Mandarin, but i would like that alot, do you have FB or any type of messenger? (inbox me)

Welcome to the Forum. I’ve met loads of friends off of Forumosa. No reason why you shouldn’t either. But if it’s dating you’re looking for, this probably wouldn’t be the best site for that. Can’t speak for Forumosa Friends though.

does anyone know any good places in Taichung to hang out and meet people?

I’m a student. I want to make foreign friends to practice my English. If someone could help me, please mail private message for me. Thanks!

that’s becasue most of taiwanese are shy, but we’re really friendly.you’ll experience it when you arrrive here. besides that, most of taiwanese are afraid to speak in english, but most of them would like to have some friends from other countries. btw, i live in taichung, it’s a thrid larges city in taiwan. it’s also a beautiful city, hope u can take a trip here some day and u will know how beautiful it is~~ ^^

Hello JessicaRabbit,

I been in Taiwan for about a month now so I am a newbie just like you! I am 25 as well and have been too busy working to make any new friends on the island. I’d be honored to have you as my first friend in Taiwan :slight_smile:

Edit**

Oh how rude of me. I forgot… I am male, and I work in Taipei most weekdays. I tend to travel every once in a while because of my current job. Send me a message or email and I’ll be happy to give you my facebook info.

Stop by San Francisco on your way over there and I will be happy to fill you in on whats up over there. And maybe ask a friend or two to show you around once you are there as well.

Just moved here three months ago and am continually trying to make as many connections and new friends as possible. Anyone is free to send me a message!

I"m new too!!! I’m from Singapore!! but i’l only b starting work in Taiwan in december…

Stick to Taipei, Taichung or Kaoshuing. Despite what you may see on this site, Taiwan is much much more than just Taipei. In many places it’s quite difficult to make any real friends and find things to do like dancing or other activities that you might take for granted if you lived in Taipei.

New here as well, just moved to Taipei a week ago from Cali. I’m also 25 and would love to start making some new friends. Feel free to shoot me a PM!

Hi :slight_smile:

i arrive next monday in kaohsiung,

i’d like meet friend!

:bow: