Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

Hi, I am French but my English is great. :slight_smile:

I am not yet in Taiwan, though.

and pretty girls enjoys intimidating cute boys :smiley:

Milan Kandera nailed it when he said the attentions of beautiful women are not attracted to a man as he walks into a party, but to the beautiful woman on his arm. His advice was if you wanted choice over having a beautiful female lover for life you first needed to have one. If you didn’t have one just ask a friend to hang with you for much of the party. It is very, very good advice.

same situation here. cant speak chinese mandarin yet, im from Taoyuan

any large school that teaches chinese to foreigners will have a ton of english speakers

After recently graduating, I came here two months ago to play in the SBL, Taiwan’s professional basketball league. I really disliked the only whole experience and decided to no longer pursue it. I was leaning back and forth on whether to go back to the states or stay here to work on my Chinese. I decided to stay here and now reside in Zhubei and got a job at one the companies in the Tai Yuen science park (pretty cool).

But, no one is really even close to my age (22). Just wanting to know if there are any cool spots to go to meet new ppl nearby or any other ABC’s/expats/english speakers that are reading this that are in the area.

feel free to shoot me some recommendations or feel free to email me jayjaysw90@gmail.com

Thanks

not that familar with Zhubei, I live in Hsinchu, and generally I find no one responding to friend requests for the Hsinchu area…

I think I’ve met a couple Americans working in xinzhu/zhubei/science park here in taipei at some networking events. I don’t know about hsinzhu area but my guess is there’s not much going on out there. You guys could try coming to some events in Taipei and perhaps you’ll meet people who knows someone in hsinchu. It’s a long shot but if you do have some spare time from time to time, why not?

great i feel like i moved to a ghost town

Surely there must at least be a computer shop nearby that sells keyboards with Shift buttons?

Well, you kind of did. Outside of Taipei you will struggle for Western pursuits (even finding decent basketball). You might find small pockets in Taichung of Kaohsiung, but they pale in comparison to Taipei. In my opinion (and it rubs a lot of people here the wrong way on this particular topic) when it comes to Westerners living in Taiwan, there is either Taipei, or a nice rural area (mountain or beach). EVERYTHING ELSE is a shittier version of Taipei, sometimes much shittier.

Well, you kind of did. Outside of Taipei you will struggle for Western pursuits (even finding decent basketball). You might find small pockets in Taichung of Kaohsiung, but they pale in comparison to Taipei. In my opinion (and it rubs a lot of people here the wrong way on this particular topic) when it comes to Westerners living in Taiwan, there is either Taipei, or a nice rural area (mountain or beach). EVERYTHING ELSE is a shittier version of Taipei, sometimes much shittier.[/quote]

I agree.

What rot. Most of Taipei still consists of overcrowded damp tenements. Mecca my arse!

Surely there must at least be a computer shop nearby that sells keyboards with Shift buttons?[/quote]

yeah, i found the computer shop and fixed my Shift buttoN

The wrath of jimipresley is about to descend on thine head. You forgot to fix your ‘.’ key at the same time. Prepare to meet thy doom.

btw, if you happen to find yourself near the arse end of Zhubei (ie., Toufen), I can recommend the Village Cafe. You’ll see a few foreigners there, and they have good food/coffee/beer.

My sentiments exactly.

Surely there must at least be a computer shop nearby that sells keyboards with Shift buttons?[/quote]

yeah, i found the computer shop and fixed my Shift buttoN[/quote]

Lolz. You must be special.

1-no one said it was a mecca.
2-why would you choose to live in a shithole (overcrowded damp tenement)?
3-other cities are worse (same same, but smaller and shittier).
4-perhaps you enjoy boring yourself to death.

funny the level of butthurt attained when this topic comes up.

I’m probably moving to Hsinchu in February. Keep in touch and we can meet up if you’re still there at that time.

sounds good. search my email on Facebook - jayjaysw90@gmail.com and feel free to add me as a friend