Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

I’ll be your English speaking friend ha ha :slight_smile:. I like games too :slight_smile:. I’m back in Feb! But will live in Taipei.[/quote]

Awesome! Shoot me a message whenever you are free :smiley:

hey there, we are going to lobby club this weekend, wonder if i could find nice people who wanna hang out as well
by the way we are not foreigners

I am in almost the exact same situation as you, I was born in Taiwan, left for the United States when I was about 10 years old, and just moved back recently after being away for over 20 years. I don’t know anyone here and I don’t know my way around. I can speak Chinese but have forgotten how to read and write a lot of the stuff, or if someone speaks too fast I may have trouble understanding them. I also play video games quite a bit, I have all the gaming consoles like Xbox360 & PS3, on PC I play mostly World of Warcraft, but if I have a choice between being stuck at home alone playing games or going out to have fun with friends, I’d rather participate in some outdoor activities. If anyone have any good tips on how to meet new friends here, I’d be very interested to know! Thanks.

Phil

[quote=“chs105”]I am in almost the exact same situation as you, I was born in Taiwan, left for the United States when I was about 10 years old, and just moved back recently after being away for over 20 years. I don’t know anyone here and I don’t know my way around. I can speak Chinese but have forgotten how to read and write a lot of the stuff, or if someone speaks too fast I may have trouble understanding them. I also play video games quite a bit, I have all the gaming consoles like Xbox360 & PS3, on PC I play mostly World of Warcraft, but if I have a choice between being stuck at home alone playing games or going out to have fun with friends, I’d rather participate in some outdoor activities. If anyone have any good tips on how to meet new friends here, I’d be very interested to know! Thanks.

Phil[/quote]

Gamer unite amigo! o/\o

Well, I was told that you’d have better luck in Taipei, where do you live? Perhaps we can hang out some times, while I’m nerdy, it sucks not being able to talk to people and playing games alone! :discodance: I think my biggiest problem is really with people leaving after a few month, I find it hard making long term friends especially ones that share the same interests. :frowning:

[quote=“Sann”]Gamer unite amigo! o/\o

Well, I was told that you’d have better luck in Taipei, where do you live? Perhaps we can hang out some times, while I’m nerdy, it sucks not being able to talk to people and playing games alone! :discodance: I think my biggiest problem is really with people leaving after a few month, I find it hard making long term friends especially ones that share the same interests. :frowning:[/quote]

I live in Taipei City, or more specifically in the NeiHu (內湖) district. My parents live in TaoYuan as well, in a city called 八德… or at least I think that’s a city, or is it a district? As far as leaving, I just moved here, sold my Jeep Liberty in the States and shipped all of my belongings to here on a boat, I don’t think I am moving anytime soon, lol!

That’s why I’d really like to have the opportunity to get to know some nice people here, it will help me greatly in getting to know this strange place instead of just being stuck at home after work everyday. I know I can just go out by myself and explorer, but it is no fun going solo and I keep getting lost, I also have trouble reading the signs in Chinese… Yes, I know most of the signs also have English on them, but looking at a sign that reads 古亭 (GuTing) really doesn’t help me at all. I still have no clue where I am or where that is. :ponder:

since you two were on the subject of games as a common interest, I might as well ask if anyone likes to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested, I’m living in Taipei near the Ximen MRT

I’d also be down to play some tennis, ping pong, or pool :smiley:

Hi everyone!

I am a 22yr/o CBC female from Vancouver, BC Canada and I just moved back to Taipei in September.
Since i moved to Vancouver at a young age I don’t have a lot of friends in Taiwan and would love to make some new friends :slight_smile:

PM me

I’ve got a game console in good condition I want to sell. Let me know if you’re interested.

[quote=“doshdosh”]since you two were on the subject of games as a common interest, I might as well ask if anyone likes to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested, I’m living in Taipei near the Ximen MRT

I’d also be down to play some tennis, ping pong, or pool :smiley:[/quote]

I’m rubbish at Brawl but if you’d like to hit (tennis) sometime shoot me a message

I recommend this group:
facebook.com/groups/taipeigamers/

great group of people, lots of games to play, I think you will fit right in.

Im an ABC from San Francisco who will be staying in Taichung until June. Would like to meet new friends to hang out with and chat it up. I speak English, Mandarine and Cantonese fluently. Im here purely for pleasure and to do some research on possibly opening a high end street wear store. I have loads of free time and can have conversations on almost any subject. Im a die hard foodie and enjoy fine food and drinks, red wine, etc. Im really easy to spot cause Im 6’3 and 240. Im really easy to get alone with and have friends all over the world. The ex who bought me here decided to go on a self-discovery trip in the middle of my trip so Im kinda here alone and know less than 5 people haha. I can be reached via LINE at bigphilwong

Hi all, I’m an ABC from Southern California and moved here one month ago. I’m 23 years old and working in Taipei for 2+ years for my company. Fluent English and Mandarin, basic Taiwanese. Hoping to meet new friends and explore the city/country. Easy going, find me on LINE: andyxcheng

[quote=“downtownandrew”]I recommend this group:
facebook.com/groups/taipeigamers/

great group of people, lots of games to play, I think you will fit right in.[/quote]

thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check it out and see where it goes.

[quote=“bottomfish”]
I’m rubbish at Brawl but if you’d like to hit (tennis) sometime shoot me a message[/quote]

sure, PM sent

[quote=“Taiwanese American in Taiwan”][color=#004080]There are so many new threads here lately on basically the same topic that I felt the need to make one thread to ask all these questions in. Good luck!–housecat[/color]

I’m Taiwanese but grew up in the states. I moved back to Taiwan in 2008 after finishing high school and have been working full time since. I meet people at work but there is always this invisible wall between me and fellow Chinese…maybe because I only look Chinese… I’m sooooo lonely and sometimes just talking to old friends on Facebook doesn’t fill up the hole in me. Where can I find American friends or at least English speaking Asians like me without hanging out in a pub every night. I live in Taichung…[/quote]

Hi I am asian foreigner living in taipei.i travel often to taichung…leave me yr email or mobile to call you…for friendship

I’ve posted once or twice before, but here it goes again…

I’m an American-born Taiwanese/French/Vietnamese. Came to Taipei to take care of my aging folks this past June and just wanted to be able to chat with fellow English speaking folks. I grew up in San Francisco (the City) and worked in Los Angeles b4 coming out here. I’m fluent in Chinese(traditional) and English(of course) both in speaking and writing and a tiny bit Spanish. I’m also a card gamer and played this card game called Vampire the Eternal Struggle, and also board games such as AGRICOLA and Puerto Rico. I’m in film business (line producer to be exact) and LOOOOVES watching movies. If any English native speakers need a friend to chat with and don’t mind my nerdiness or goofiness or even weirdness, then hit me up and hopefully we’ll go from there! I do miss speaking English carelessly…

Hi,

I am an American from suburbs of Philadelphia. I moved here from Oakland, CA, have also lived in NYC and other places in the Western world, outside of the US. I am brand new to Taiwan, living in Taoyuan (for at least the next 6 months, maybe longer) and I am hoping to meet some people. My mandarin skills are non-existent, but I do speak okay French. I would love to find some people who are in Taoyuan and want to meet up, etc. Especially if you can teach me a little Mandarin because I feel like a complete moron right now.
Most things seem to be centered in Taipei but I know that expats totally exist in this city too. I saw one today!
I like being outside, reading, writing, Netflix, beer, hiking, watching movies, etc. I’m female, in my 20’s.
So yeah, message me, be my friend!

I am female, 31, Taiwanese born Canadian from Taipei, fluent in English, Chinese, and Cantonese. I moved back to Taiwan 7 years ago but have been having very limited circle of friends outside of work, and find myself not quite fitting to the local norm. I’m fed up of being alone and now very desperate to meet new friends/ hang-out buddies.

People usually describe me independent, quit-witted, friendly (though somewhat aloof), adventurous, outspoken, cool to get along. I work in the financial industry.

My interests include gourmet food, movies, travel, walking, clubbing, shopping, pet (I’m a dog lover).

By the way, my MBTI type is ENTP. I guess it’s quite rare for Taiwanese girls to fall in this category. You can check the description of my type in the following links.
similarminds.com/jung/entp.html
typelogic.com/entp.html

Please PM me if interested. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hey everyone!

I just arrived Taipei yesterday. I’m 28 and from all over America: Oklahoma, California, and New York. I spent most of my years in Oklahoma though. After college in Boston, I worked in LA for a while as an audio technician, engineer and producer. Then took up a position in Mainland China at a studio as their chief audio engineer. I spent the past 6 months in Hong Kong, and now I’m moved my base to Taipei. I try avoiding music outside of work unless it’s in a chill environment.

I’m picky about coffee and food. I like walking around a new city and discovering hole-in-the-wall places. I discovered the uBike and love it! I know a bit of Canto, but I’m much better with Mando. I would definitely like to improve on both of them though! :wink:

I don’t want to turn this into an essay… so hit me up if you wanna grab a coffee and chat or go see the city!

Cheers!

Hi guys, I’m female, 27 years old and live in Hsinchu. Please let me know if you guys have any positive activities out there. Will be glad to know you, friends.

Hey Everyone!

I am a 26-year old male, previously lived in Singapore and Australia and currently working in Taipei :smiley:

I am pretty much brand new to Taiwan as I arrived only last Friday (21st March) :s

I speak English mainly but also decent Mandarin, and would love to make some like-minded English-speaking friends outside of work!

Hmm let’s see… I am a fun and easy-going person, outgoing, adventurous and open-minded

I enjoy a good cup of coffee, snacks, clubbing, wine and of course, movies :smiley:

Please feel free to pm me or add me on Line at ‘danny_021’ :slight_smile:)

Hope to hear from you guys soon!